Page 123 of 126 FirstFirst ... 2373113119120121122123124125126 LastLast
Results 1,831 to 1,845 of 1885

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Also, can we talk about how great the named members of the seventh tribe are? Catia, Tarpeia, Galen and Kallikrates are such cool additions to the Amazon lore. Kelly Sue said they were her favorite tribe and it comes through in the writing. Aside from Hippolyta and Antiope (and to a lesser extent the other queens), they have the most fleshed out characterizations among the cast.

There is also the black girl among the four Amazons Hippolyta sends away. In issue #2, she was among the first group Hippolyta freed, and she stands out as the only one not on her knees when the Amazons come out of the shadows. I really want to know her name, because I like her vibe and if she plays a part in the creation of the Bana, all the better.
    Kallikrates was one of my favorite additions in this volume. I also really love what we've seen of Hellene, who's probably the second most fleshed-out original Amazon after Antiope - that moment with her and Hippolyta watching the sunrise is gorgeous.

Really hope we get the chance to spend more time with them. I'm also curious to see what they do with the goddess-born Amazons now that they're on Themyscira. Will they finally shed their armor? How will the dynamic between the 7th tribe and the other tribes work out politically? And what would Hecate's tribe even look like dressed down...? I'd also love to see the Hippolyta/Philippus romance happen, but sadly I'm not betting on it.

Honestly I'd love to get a spin-off about the Amazons who broke out because even if we get more volumes, I highly doubt we'll see them again. But like...a regular miniseries, not an oversized one where we have to wait 6+ months between issues

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Also, can we talk about how great the named members of the seventh tribe are? Catia, Tarpeia, Galen and Kallikrates are such cool additions to the Amazon lore. Kelly Sue said they were her favorite tribe and it comes through in the writing. Aside from Hippolyta and Antiope (and to a lesser extent the other queens), they have the most fleshed out characterizations among the cast.

There is also the black girl among the four Amazons Hippolyta sends away. In issue #2, she was among the first group Hippolyta freed, and she stands out as the only one not on her knees when the Amazons come out of the shadows. I really want to know her name, because I like her vibe and if she plays a part in the creation of the Bana, all the better.
    Yes, the separate clans is one of the best new things added to WW/Amazon lore since The Circle or the Perez run.

Quote Originally Posted by bardkeep View Post
    Kallikrates was one of my favorite additions in this volume. I also really love what we've seen of Hellene, who's probably the second most fleshed-out original Amazon after Antiope - that moment with her and Hippolyta watching the sunrise is gorgeous.

Really hope we get the chance to spend more time with them. I'm also curious to see what they do with the goddess-born Amazons now that they're on Themyscira. Will they finally shed their armor? How will the dynamic between the 7th tribe and the other tribes work out politically? And what would Hecate's tribe even look like dressed down...? I'd also love to see the Hippolyta/Philippus romance happen, but sadly I'm not betting on it.

Honestly I'd love to get a spin-off about the Amazons who broke out because even if we get more volumes, I highly doubt we'll see them again. But like...a regular miniseries, not an oversized one where we have to wait 6+ months between issues
    A one shot that's a sidequel to the main story that focuses on those Amazons left in Man's World could work if they DeConnick doesn't incorporate them back into the main story.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Joelle Jones would be most welcome as would Olivier Coipel, although he should probably start now for issue 8. Colleen Doran would be excellent and loves Wonder Woman. I'm not as familiar with Benjamin Dewey. Evely is an excellent artist and it would be interesting to see her work on a book of this caliber that she could take some time on.

Physical copy finally arrived. All look great together.

Incredible Member

This is a genre-defining war epic and a genre-defining personal tale at the same time. It's amazing, really. That scene, at the beginning, with Herakles, was metal af. I perfectly understand those who wanted the traditional story with Hipplyta, but I think the subversion worked here. The incorporation of her fellow Amazon queens is just such a great writing choice. The power comes from the group, the society.

Hippolyta not only gets away from the shadows of being "just" Diana's mom, she's actually one of the more engaging characters I've read about in years.

And I don't have words for how much do I like this version of Hera. Fun, layered, strong, mysterious, human, otherwordly...

The artwork is the best it has been in this series. That Scott managed to combine her style, which I already love, into this amsterpiece is nothign short of breathtaking.

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    I think Phil said he wouldnt come back until issue 9.

Gene Ha/Nicola definitely have to return though for at least 2 issues each.

But would love to see Jason Fabok

A HUGE one would be....Alex Ross but I know his relationship with DC is burned at the moment and probably his pay would be more than they'd want to fork over.

Joelle would also be great, the pages she drew in WG were great.

So:
    Jason Fabok
    Alex Ross
    Joelle Jones
    Dan Mora
    Bruno Redondo
    Why is it burned? What happened?

The 10 best comic book panels of 2022

HERA’S PROPHECY
    Wonder Woman Historia: The Amazons #2, Kelly Sue DeConnick, Gene Ha, Wesley Wong, Clayton Cowles

The goddess Athena tells Hera, whose thousand eyes see a thousand futures, that she would like to keep the woman-avenging Amazons hidden from Zeus’ retribution “long enough for women to see justice.”

Hera sighs in sadness. “There will be no justice for women. Not now.” Her lip curls and her brows furrow in divine disgust, as she imperiously raises her fan. “Not a hundred years from now.”

Then you turn the page.

Sometimes a panel is so brilliantly conceived, so beautifully crafted, so flawlessly executed, so emphatically presented in its original form, that there’s simply no better way to tell someone how good it is than to press a book into their hands and beg, “Read this, read this, read this.

Incredible Member magha_regulus's Avatar

This was excellent! I loved this conclusion. I want this story to be in continuity. The designs of the Olympians are incredible. The art in this whole series has been wonderful. Such incredible work.

Fantastic Member

These are stunning pieces. Absolutely stunning.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Whoa this is finally done? Damn.

So when's the trade coming out?

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    Whoa this is finally done? Damn.

So when's the trade coming out?
    June, most likely according to KSD's newsletter.

And there maybe more books in the future but these three issues compose book 1 and can be read standalone.

I know Robert Jones Jr. doesn't come around here anymore but WOW, his review of book 3 is beyond excellent. Made me appreciate it even more, and I didn't know I even had any more appreciation to give.

https://robertjonesjr.substack.com/p...medium=reader2

I don't know how I missed that the scene with Hippolyta retreating into the ocean at the end was meant to mirror her chasing the baby in book 1. Going into the water futilely chasing the sand that it washed away, thinking this time she deserved to die trying...damn, what great writing. I also didn't even connect Hera keeping Diana's soul in a dove with Zeus referring to the goddesses as doves in their initial confrontation.

I also love what he said about how it changes Diana's origin. Increasing the weight of the loss, but also reinforcing the weight of her mission - she's liberated from their prison so she can continue what her people started before they were cast off. We don't even know if we'll get book 9 yet, but I'm already thinking about how interesting a follow-up series about Diana would be given that shift in context and our new clarity on the Amazons' (and, by extension, Diana's) purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by bardkeep View Post
    I know Robert Jones Jr. doesn't come around here anymore but WOW, his review of book 3 is beyond excellent. Made me appreciate it even more, and I didn't know I even had any more appreciation to give.

https://robertjonesjr.substack.com/p...medium=reader2

I don't know how I missed that the scene with Hippolyta retreating into the ocean at the end was meant to mirror her chasing the baby in book 1. Going into the water futilely chasing the sand that it washed away, thinking this time she deserved to die trying...damn, what great writing. I also didn't even connect Hera keeping Diana's soul in a dove with Zeus referring to the goddesses as doves in their initial confrontation.

I also love what he said about how it changes Diana's origin. Increasing the weight of the loss, but also reinforcing the weight of her mission - she's liberated from their prison so she can continue what her people started before they were cast off. We don't even know if we'll get book 9 yet, but I'm already thinking about how interesting a follow-up series about Diana would be given that shift in context and our new clarity on the Amazons' (and, by extension, Diana's) purpose.
    It's like poetry...it rhymes.

This bit was interesting, didn't consider it in my first reading;

I’m exceedingly curious how this foundational-origin shift (which includes the welcome and overdue redemption of Hera) revises how Diana might be seen by the other Amazons and how it will affect the circumstances of her journey. This retelling alters mightily—deepens, really—what is lost when an older Diana eventually leaves Themyscira after Steve Trevor lands on the island. The loss is now unbearable to imagine.
    Definitely adds a new dimension to Diana leaving Hippolyta or even when she competes against other Amazons for the right to leave.

https://www.cbr.com/cbrs-top-100-comics-of-2022/

10. Wonder Woman Historia: The Amazons (DC)