Page 27 of 126 FirstFirst ... 172324252627282930313777 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    DC needs to solicit this book and fast. I don't care if it just gets delayed, with all the news of stuff getting dropped I just want them to reaffirm it's happening. KSD and Phil Jimenez on a Wonder Woman project is the kind of dream team you fan cast but write off as a pipe dream.

And yet it's happening.

I really can't wait for this book.
    I’m keeping my fingers crossed for an announcement in December.

And a ritual sacrifice that this becomes the new creative team after it’s done.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    I’m keeping my fingers crossed for an announcement in December.

And a ritual sacrifice that this becomes the new creative team after it’s done.
    KSD sure, but I don't think Phil could keep the peace for monthly. Hell. Keep them doing graphic novels so they can release at their own pace and maintain quality. I'm double down for that.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Phil definitely couldn't do art, but him and KSD would be great as co-writers.

Kelly Sue DeConnick did an interview where she talked a bit about Historia.

Some stuff that's already been talked about like the structure (three books of three issues, nine issues total) but an interesting takeaway is apparently part of the inspiration for this is problems she had with the depiction of the Amazons in the movie. Mainly that she didn't like the big focus on the warrior society part only for them to get kind of slaughtered by the Germans during the beach battle. So may possibly means we'll see more advanced versions of the Amazons by end of the book.

She also speaks highly of working with Jimenez so seems like a good creative behind-the-scenes process going on.

Not surprised she and Jimenez clicked since neither of them are big on the “war & violence” Diana. Will we get to see Phil drawing advanced Amazonian tech, or will that be saved for a later issue further down the timeline I wonder? Seems Phil’s issue is all about the origins of the Amazons as the goddesses plan their creation.

Some stuff that's already been talked about like the structure (three books of three issues, nine issues total) but an interesting takeaway is apparently part of the inspiration for this is problems she had with the depiction of the Amazons in the movie. Mainly that she didn't like the big focus on the warrior society part only for them to get kind of slaughtered by the Germans during the beach battle. So may possibly means we'll see more advanced versions of the Amazons by end of the book.

She also speaks highly of working with Jimenez so seems like a good creative behind-the-scenes process going on.
    You know, if that scene was longer I think it would have been more interesting because guns should absolutely wreck the Amazons at first blush (assuming they're not all on Diana's level, in which case they would laugh at the bullets). It completely changes the game... But after the initial salvo, they would form a defensive structure (think Phalanx) and quickly formulate a plan that repelled the Germans. They'd then execute it with precision.

But guns and mortars can't just get shrugged off by all the Amazons or else it does rob Diana a little bit of the No Man's Land scene. It also gives them no reason to really comprehend the gravity of the scale of war outside their shores. A few Amazons being sacrificed to the plot on that beach scene is pretty important to getting Diana off that island. Of course you can scrap the Germans entirely and make it more about Steve's recount and Diana's desperate plea to help the outside... which is all together a bit better and helps their second-third act disillusionment plot for her.
    Last edited by Robanker; 12-07-2020 at 10:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Not surprised she and Jimenez clicked since neither of them are big on the “war & violence” Diana. Will we get to see Phil drawing advanced Amazonian tech, or will that be saved for a later issue further down the timeline I wonder? Seems Phil’s issue is all about the origins of the Amazons as the goddesses plan their creation.
    I think it may still be Jimenez is on just the first issue. I was more excited initially because Jimenez was on this project as I've never read anything of KSD's but definitely interested the more interviews I've seen of her.

You know, if that scene was longer I think it would have been more interesting because guns should absolutely wreck the Amazons at first blush (assuming they're not all on Diana's level, in which case they would laugh at the bullets). It completely changes the game... But after the initial salvo, they would form a defensive structure (think Phalanx) and quickly formulate a plan that repelled the Germans. They'd then execute it with precision.

But guns and mortars can't just get shrugged off by all the Amazons or else it does rob Diana a little bit of the No Man's Land scene. It also gives them no reason to really comprehend the gravity of the scale of war outside their shores. A few Amazons being sacrificed to the plot on that beach scene is pretty important to getting Diana off that island. Of course you can scrap the Germans entirely and make it more about Steve's recount and Diana's desperate plea to help the outside... which is all together a bit better and helps their second-third act disillusionment plot for her.
    Yeah, I can see why it may have made the Amazons seems short-changed for some of them to get taken out rather easily but I think it was mainly for setting up Diana doing the bullets + bracelets and putting her own Amazon training to use at the No Man's Land scene.

Worth noting, that she does seem to like the film mostly and the book isn't anti-film screed.

I think it may still be Jimenez is on just the first issue. I was more excited initially because Jimenez was on this project as I've never read anything of KSD's but definitely interested the more interviews I've seen of her.

Yeah, I can see why it may have made the Amazons seems short-changed for some of them to get taken out rather easily but I think it was mainly for setting up Diana doing the bullets + bracelets and putting her own Amazon training to use at the No Man's Land scene.

Worth noting, that she does seem to like the film mostly and the book isn't anti-film screed.
    Sure, but that scene was just very clumsy. Not like the third act, but it really didn't do much for anyone not named Diana or Steve.

Even with that weak third act, though, I really like Wonder Woman overall. It was a good time and they sold me on Steve and Diana which nobody had been able to until then.

But KSD/Jimenez? Honestly, it has the potential to be either really cool or her seminal work akin to All-Star Superman or Batman Year One.

In fairness to that scene, while the Amazons did take some losses, none of the German soldiers were left alive.

Sure, but that scene was just very clumsy. Not like the third act, but it really didn't do much for anyone not named Diana or Steve.

Even with that weak third act, though, I really like Wonder Woman overall. It was a good time and they sold me on Steve and Diana which nobody had been able to until then.

But KSD/Jimenez? Honestly, it has the potential to be either really cool or her seminal work akin to All-Star Superman or Batman Year One.
    I've been there before, I usually find Bruce and Selina to have more chemistry I enjoy in adaptations than stuff from the comics.

But yeah, I'm kind of hoping the story could function like Year One used to where it was Batman's continuity origin but also largely removed from the rest of the DC Universe so it could be enjoyed on it's own.
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    In fairness to that scene, while the Amazons did take some losses, none of the German soldiers were left alive.
    That was my thought too. I guess also, aside from being created magically, we don't know if the film Amazons besides Diana really have any other special powers.

I've been there before, I usually find Bruce and Selina to have more chemistry I enjoy in adaptations than stuff from the comics.
    Kinda hard for anyone to have chemistry with the emotionless brick wall Bruce often is written as these days ()

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Yes.
    And I didn’t appreciate that at first, but in prepping for the sequel I’ve been revisiting select scenes of Wonder Woman on YouTube.
    “You see…the rest of them are soldiers. But [Wonder Woman] is an artist.”

I only support the made of clay origin.

Honestly I feel like Bruce and Selina get more play in the comics than they do in adaptions, but I guess it depends on what you're looking at.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Honestly I feel like Bruce and Selina get more play in the comics than they do in adaptions, but I guess it depends on what you're looking at.
    That's fair since there's large chunks of Batman history I've never read whereas Selina is usually a constant in most adaptations of Batman, which usually bring along the "flirty temptation" dynamic between them and Bruce's other love interests trail behind her.

A Christmas present from Phil!

https://www.instagram.com/p/CJOU4y8Bf9M/

I think the guy grabbing Hippolyta's head is the same one getting an arrow through the skull