Page 29 of 126 FirstFirst ... 192526272829303132333979 ... LastLast

At this point I'm guessing that he'll finish in the middle of the year, but the coloring will take ages since his drawings are so layered and complex

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    At this point I'm guessing that he'll finish in the middle of the year, but the coloring will take ages since his drawings are so layered and complex
    I think parts of it are being colored as he goes, he's teased some color images.

I sure hope so

Quote Originally Posted by VonHammersmark View Post
    I actually liked Wonder Woman’s guest appearance in Aquaman that Kelly Sue DeConnick wrote, that was surprisingly nice but I’m expecting the Patriarchy and Toxic Masculinity to come up a lot in Historia and I’m just really fed up with that. The artwork is far too overwrought for my taste, can’t fault the technique but idk, I think Jimenez has a bit of a taste issue. Ares is a case a point. I like a more cartoonish style. Different strokes for different folks
    I believe I am one of the very few to have liked Deconnick's Aquaman. I am curious to see what she can do with a strong female character as Diana. Unfortunately in Aquaman, for most of her run, Mera wasn't on panel so its difficult to anticipate what she will do with Diana. Somehow taking in account her latest take with another strong female character, could indicate what to expect. Her Mera wasn't that great initially, she looked out of character but by the end of her run she brought her back beautifully.

Fantastic Member VonHammersmark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MarFarr View Post
    I believe I am one of the very few to have liked Deconnick's Aquaman. I am curious to see what she can do with a strong female character as Diana. Unfortunately in Aquaman, for most of her run, Mera wasn't on panel so its difficult to anticipate what she will do with Diana. Somehow taking in account her latest take with another strong female character, could indicate what to expect. Her Mera wasn't that great initially, she looked out of character but by the end of her run she brought her back beautifully.
    She wrote a Captain Marvel run if you wanna check that out

Fantastic Member VonHammersmark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NYCER View Post
    In which issue(s) did Diana appear in AQUAMAN? Kindly advise and thanks in advance.
    She guest starred in Aquaman #50

She wrote a Captain Marvel run if you wanna check that out
    I know, but I don't like the character, so I have no desire for reading it. However from what I read by marvel fans, her run gets mixed reactions. I can only judge KSD take on female characters through Mera, on that basis not that promising for Diana. As I wrote her Mera was out of character, in one instance killing Arthur in a dumb tantrum. I say this despite I loved her run.

I've read both volumes of Bitch Planet and the first volume of Pretty Deadly, both of which give me a good feeling about this.

BANNED
    Themyscira, Wundagore Mountain, Talok VIII

I actually liked Wonder Woman’s guest appearance in Aquaman that Kelly Sue DeConnick wrote, that was surprisingly nice but I’m expecting the Patriarchy and Toxic Masculinity to come up a lot in Historia and I’m just really fed up with that. The artwork is far too overwrought for my taste, can’t fault the technique but idk, I think Jimenez has a bit of a taste issue. Ares is a case a point. I like a more cartoonish style. Different strokes for different folks
    Overwrought is right.
    He just goes overboard on the extraneous details that add nothing but visual noise to the narrative.
    Don't get me wrong; I think he is a talented artist, but his Historia pics don't make me look forward to it; they make me think: "Phil, less is more, you know?"

Another update

Those drawings that Joelle Jones shared remind me a lot of Phil Jimenez's art in this book. She never says that it's for Wonder Girl, and since the architecture is greek inspired and there are kangaroos, I doubt that it's part of the Brazillian amazons. Could she be doing an issue of Amazon Historia?

Awesome as usual from Phil!

One of the hashtags says "Acolyte of Apollo." Maybe it's an enemy male solider, or possibly still an Amazon? Apollo could be an ally of the patrons, and maybe the Amazons in the tribe who follow Artemis extend their worship of Apollo. It may be the same with Aphrodite's faction and Hephaestus

EDIT: Nvm, he said "fella", so it may be a male worshiper of Apollo

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Those drawings that Joelle Jones shared remind me a lot of Phil Jimenez's art in this book. She never says that it's for Wonder Girl, and since the architecture is greek inspired and there are kangaroos, I doubt that it's part of the Brazillian amazons. Could she be doing an issue of Amazon Historia?
    That's very possible, because it looks like Hippolyta in that image.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Awesome as usual from Phil!

One of the hashtags says "Acolyte of Apollo." Maybe it's an enemy male solider, or possibly still an Amazon? Apollo could be an ally of the patrons, and maybe the Amazons in the tribe who follow Artemis extend their worship of Apollo. It may be the same with Aphrodite's faction and Hephaestus

EDIT: Nvm, he said "fella", so it may be a male worshiper of Apollo

That's very possible, because it looks like Hippolyta in that image.
    DeConnick did say in an interview there would be multiple artists on the book, Jones wouldn't be a bad follow up.
    Last edited by Gaius; 05-08-2021 at 08:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    DeConnick did say in an interview there would be multiple artists on the book, Jones wouldn't be a bad follow up.
    She did also say the second artist was stepping up their game after seeing Phil's stuff, and Jones is no slouch of an artist to begin with but this looks a little more detailed than usual.

It also kind of reminds me of the art in Earth One's Themyscira. That "lamp" right above the Amazon in the chariot looks similar to one of the EO splash pages. Are we jumping to that point already? Maybe the history isn't recounted in chronological order?

Extraordinary Member

Think it's much more likely this is for the Wonder Girl book and we're getting a one page summary of the Themyscira Amazons before transitioning to Yara's tribe/story or something along those lines.