Page 4 of 126 FirstFirst 123456781454104 ... LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Phil is back !
    But dont get why they use rebirth suit for the cover

Incredible Member

Excellent news. It's great to see Wonder Woman being written by established talent and given the opportunity to stretch her wings in stand-alone / elseworld stories.

I hope that Diana receives some truly iconic storytelling on par with Red Son, Kingdom Come, etc. Something that becomes synonymous with the very best of Wonder Woman, which clearly demonstrates her best characteristics and which addresses the conflict of Diana being a "warrior for peace".

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent 86 View Post
    Excellent news. It's great to see Wonder Woman being written by established talent and given the opportunity to stretch her wings in stand-alone / elseworld stories.

I hope that Diana receives some truly iconic storytelling on par with Red Son, Kingdom Come, etc. Something that becomes synonymous with the very best of Wonder Woman, which clearly demonstrates her best characteristics and which addresses the conflict of Diana being a "warrior for peace".
    Agreed. And it would be nice to have a Diana title to look forward to after the mediocrity of the post-Rucka run. I miss her!
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I'm starting to re-read the Kindly Ones now, and while it is of course fantastic, I think story would have had even more "oomph" behind it if it was Lyta as Wonder Woman and Steve Trevor's daughter killing Dream rather than the daughter of some random heroine they made up for the post-Crisis status quo.
    Personally, I don't see anything random about Helena Kosmatos/Fury and her daughter Lyta Trevor/Fury. In this case I think Roy Thomas made a silk purse out of the sow's ear of losing Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman from his JSA/All-Star Squadron stories. They are two of my favorite characters, who I find sufficiently distinct from Wonder Woman and her relatives, and potentially just as interesting. I think they could exist alongside Wonder Woman without any problem whatsoever.

(I will mention that the later use of the GA Fury in a Wonder Woman story - in which she is de-aged, re-powered, and essentially insane, as well as totally uninterested in the fate of her daughter, who she never mentions - bordered on character assassination, by a writer who admitted he didn't know anything about her, and just needed a useful villain. Especially when, if you look closely, you see that Neil Gaiman gave Helena Kosmatos a subtle, appropriate, and meaningful end to her story in "The Kindly Ones." My version: Helena died in her sleep, and was taken into the Dreaming, as we know can happen. As a favor to her, Daniel/Dream - who is, partly, her grandson - created a dream version of the GA Fury to continue her good works in the Waking World. But like some others of Dream's creations, it didn't turn out as planned...)

And specifically, the GA Fury was connected to, and powered by, the Furies of Greek myth. Her daughter inherited that connection. (This makes Fury a better name for her than it ever was for Wonder Woman's daughter.) It was this connection that enabled the Furies (and Thessaly) to use Lyta Trevor in their efforts to punish Morpheus, which lead to his suicide. Diana and her daughter had no connection to the Furies; Helena and her daughter did, making Lyta-dughter-of-Helena the perfect character to use in "The Kindly Ones."
    Last edited by Doctor Bifrost; 03-08-2018 at 06:28 PM.
    Doctor Bifrost

"If Roy G. Bivolo had seen some B&W pencil sketches, his whole life would have turned out differently." http://doctorbifrost.blogspot.com/

Excited about both. Finally a big female writer! And Rucka works better with GNs, there are not long spades of time to keep us waiting the pay off.

BUT.

I'm concerned about both of these NOT featuring Diana herself as a main character. Maybe Historia vol. 2 and 3., I hope. But we need to tell stories about Diana. Especially in elseworld stories, where she is usually the girlfriend (Red Son, Injustice...).

There are so many blank spaces to fill when talking about her mythos. But, well, this is a great start.

Quote Originally Posted by hkgkindaichi View Post
    Phil is back !
    But dont get why they use rebirth suit for the cover
    More like movie suit to me.

Do you guys think Phil Jimenez should come back on the main titles ?

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    As writer or artist? I didn't enjoy Superwoman very much when he was writing it (or, to be fair, afterward), but I wouldn't mind seeing him on art!
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Joao View Post
    Excited about both. Finally a big female writer! And Rucka works better with GNs, there are not long spades of time to keep us waiting the pay off.

BUT.

I'm concerned about both of these NOT featuring Diana herself as a main character. Maybe Historia vol. 2 and 3., I hope. But we need to tell stories about Diana. Especially in elseworld stories, where she is usually the girlfriend (Red Son, Injustice...).

There are so many blank spaces to fill when talking about her mythos. But, well, this is a great start.

More like movie suit to me.
    The movie suit is the rebirth suit. Its the best her costume has been in ages.

Also The Amazons need this tho, a good history of the Amazons help flesh Wonder Women out also because it helps her Pathos.

Superman would not be as good without people fleshing out Kryptons history and all the players there.

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    I really enjoyed Jimenez's run and all the characters and character beats and plots he threw at us. His run had a real sense of fun with all the glory and richness the DCU has to offer. I'd welcome him back on writing and art, but I think I'd prefer it after Doomsday Clock and however that's going to affect the multiverse and Diana and the Amazons's history. (And Donna and Cassie's for that matter.)

Maybe it'd provide a fresher start and more level playing ground after we understand the machinations of Doctor Manhattan.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Bifrost View Post
    Personally, I don't see anything random about Helena Kosmatos/Fury and her daughter Lyta Trevor/Fury. In this case I think Roy Thomas made a silk purse out of the sow's ear of losing Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman from his JSA/All-Star Squadron stories. They are two of my favorite characters, who I find sufficiently distinct from Wonder Woman and her relatives, and potentially just as interesting. I think they could exist alongside Wonder Woman without any problem whatsoever.

(I will mention that the later use of the GA Fury in a Wonder Woman story - in which she is de-aged, re-powered, and essentially insane, as well as totally uninterested in the fate of her daughter, who she never mentions - bordered on character assassination, by a writer who admitted he didn't know anything about her, and just needed a useful villain. Especially when, if you look closely, you see that Neil Gaiman gave Helena Kosmatos a subtle, appropriate, and meaningful end to her story in "The Kindly Ones." My version: Helena died in her sleep, and was taken into the Dreaming, as we know can happen. As a favor to her, Daniel/Dream - who is, partly, her grandson - created a dream version of the GA Fury to continue her good works in the Waking World. But like some others of Dream's creations, it didn't turn out as planned...)

And specifically, the GA Fury was connected to, and powered by, the Furies of Greek myth. Her daughter inherited that connection. (This makes Fury a better name for her than it ever was for Wonder Woman's daughter.) It was this connection that enabled the Furies (and Thessaly) to use Lyta Trevor in their efforts to punish Morpheus, which lead to his suicide. Diana and her daughter had no connection to the Furies; Helena and her daughter did, making Lyta-dughter-of-Helena the perfect character to use in "The Kindly Ones."
    Interesting POV on the Furies and how they work in Sandman.

(I was always a fan of Lyra Trevor as Diana's daughter on Earth 2. The codename didn't bother me too much as I always thought of Fury as being a "fierce" (in the good way) combatant and less vengeful. (In some ways I liked the name as it was a juxtaposition to her mostly warm-hearted personality.) Of course, this was all before Sandman was ever published.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Joao View Post
    Good point. Hopefully Diana gets to be the star of some elseworld stories under this new label in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    Interestingly, everything you say of Rucka is exactly why I hate Azzarrello's run.
    Yeah, I can understand that, but Azzarello came after a reboot. He had a clean slate to work with. It isn't the case with Rucka, and that's the problem. I find, as someone who aspire to bebome a novelist/writer, that what he did in Rebirth what the most disrespectful thing a writer could do. If he hated New 52 so much, he should have thrown his weight at D.C. to ask for a clean reboot for WW, like they did for Superman. WIth Gods, Magic, the Fourth World and ****, it wouldn't have been so difficut to justify it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigwinnie101 View Post
    Yeah Rucka only has two ships for Wonder Woman

Its Wonder Woman/Steve Trevor and Wonder Woman/Batman. Thats pretty much his ships and he defaults to one if he can't have the other, When Steve was old as sin in the previous Timeline he went Wonder Woman/Batman and now Batman is getting married and steve is young so he is back to Wonder Woman/ Steve.
    I think it's more those are the only ships he'd be allowed to use. He was the one who confirmed Diana as bisexual and did put Diana in a relationship with a woman in his year 1 book.

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    Yeah, I can understand that, but Azzarello came after a reboot. He had a clean slate to work with. It isn't the case with Rucka, and that's the problem. I find, as someone who aspire to bebome a novelist/writer, that what he did in Rebirth what the most disrespectful thing a writer could do. If he hated New 52 so much, he should have thrown his weight at D.C. to ask for a clean reboot for WW, like they did for Superman. WIth Gods, Magic, the Fourth World and ****, it wouldn't have been so difficut to justify it.
    Rebirth pretty much was a reboot.

The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I think it's more those are the only ships he'd be allowed to use. He was the one who confirmed Diana as bisexual and did put Diana in a relationship with a woman in his year 1 book.
    I believe he did vocalise some dislike for pairing Superman with Wonder Woman.
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he