Page 44 of 126 FirstFirst ... 344041424344454647485494 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    DC doesn't seem to use that idea. Instead DC uses the idea that the Greek gods are well Greek, and the other cultures have different gods specific to their culture... such as how Hawaiians have Pele.

Just one of many, many examples.....
    I feel like when people use other cultures mythology as an example they don’t take into account how highly market Greek mythology is.

Hawaiian religion doesn’t have a 20 episode Amazon series, Several Netflix cartoons, several book and movies and video game franchises build around that mythology (Clash of the Titans, Percy Jackson, God of War *cough* Wonder Woman *cough*, and many others)

Zeus, Athena, Aphrodite, and the rest of the pantheon are household names. You could have any actor portray Zeus, (and I do mean any actor, he’s disgusted himself as a woman before) and people will know who he is.
    Last edited by I'm a Fish; 07-18-2021 at 12:54 PM.
    ~I just keep swimming through these threads~

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

DC doesn't seem to use that idea. Instead DC uses the idea that the Greek gods are well Greek, and the other cultures have different gods specific to their culture... such as how Hawaiians have Pele.
    Just because they haven't used the idea doesn't mean they can't. They could very well use it in Historia, they are using the Well of Souls origin for the Amazons after all.

And like I'm a Fish said, the Greek Gods are by far the most marketable Pantheon they could use aside from maybe Norse (and Marvel has that covered), so that's the culture they are going to use more than others. And the Gods shapeshift all the time in myth to interact with mortals, and the Greek Gods in the DCU are going to be popping up in the States because that's where Wonder Woman spends the majority of her time. They have never been bound by one design, and they can be drawn (or cast in live action projects) as looking like anybody and it's really not that big of a deal, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Just because they haven't used the idea doesn't mean they can't. They could very well use it in Historia, they are using the Well of Souls origin for the Amazons after all.

And like I'm a Fish said, the Greek Gods are by far the most marketable Pantheon they could use aside from maybe Norse (and Marvel has that covered), so that's the culture they are going to use more than others. And the Gods shapeshift all the time in myth to interact with mortals, and the Greek Gods in the DCU are going to be popping up in the States because that's where Wonder Woman spends the majority of her time. They have never been bound by one design, and they can be drawn (or cast in live action projects) as looking like anybody and it's really not that big of a deal, IMO.
    Is it though? being recognizable seems like a given. but when you make it so that the character no longer looks like what people see as recognizable though? I don't think that'd be an easy sell. For example, Zeus played by an actress from Hong Kong? How well would that go from a marketing perspective? I wouldn't bet on it being a success. Because it's not what people think of when they think of Zeus.

For examples, when they have actually disguised themselves as mortals in DC? Ari Buchanan for one looked a whole lot like Ares. Zeus pretending to be mortal to watch Cassie in person? Old guy with a white beard who could easily pass for Santa if wearing a red suit. DC uses the idea of them taking other forms only when it makes sense for the plot, which isn't often.

I don't think Historia is going to try to redefine the way DC uses mythological characters, especially given that they use more than just the Greek pantheon in WW comics.

Is it though? being recognizable seems like a given. but when you make it so that the character no longer looks like what people see as recognizable though? I don't think that'd be an easy sell. For example, Zeus played by an actress from Hong Kong? How well would that go from a marketing perspective? I wouldn't bet on it being a success. Because it's not what people think of when they think of Zeus.

For examples, when they have actually disguised themselves as mortals in DC? Ari Buchanan for one looked a whole lot like Ares. Zeus pretending to be mortal to watch Cassie in person? Old guy with a white beard who could easily pass for Santa if wearing a red suit. DC uses the idea of them taking other forms only when it makes sense for the plot, which isn't often.

I don't think Historia is going to try to redefine the way DC uses mythological characters, especially given that they use more than just the Greek pantheon in WW comics.
    I think that one is a bit of a stretch in reaction to what we're talking about.

Zeus could disguise himself as a woman in a scene and then reveal himself in another form that would be played by a male actor. But as long as the actor has a strong presence and is very muscly with a beard and is shooting lightning in every direction, it wouldn't take much to sell him as Zeus regardless of his skin tone. or he could be a completely CGI creation. This is a guy who has disguised himself as a shower of gold or a swan to get busy with the ladies, he's not limited in appearance.

And so far in Historia, he will have blue skin and ram horns, while one design for Hermes has him with animal appendages (bird and hare) while Athena is an animated statue. Those are more outside the box interpretations of the Gods, but you'd think Aphrodite being black but otherwise humanoid is a bigger deal based on some reactions

In Greek myth, the true form of the Gods cannot be witnessed by mortal eyes or else it will result in their deaths. (See the the myth of Semele for details. ) So every appearance of the gods we have seen is a "mortal'ed down" form so-to-speak.

As for Zeus being played by an actress from Hong Kong, and whether that would be more marketable, is (I think) a different argument than the one we were discussing. China, however, had surpass America in the movie B.O. haul pre-pandemic, so the answer may very well be "yes".

And so far in Historia, he will have blue skin and ram horns, while one design for Hermes has him with animal appendages (bird and hare) while Athena is an animated statue. Those are more outside the box interpretations of the Gods, but you'd think Aphrodite being black but otherwise humanoid is a bigger deal based on some reactions
    That interpretation of Aphrodite gives me Venus of Willendorf vibes.
    Last edited by I'm a Fish; 07-18-2021 at 02:37 PM.
    ~I just keep swimming through these threads~

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    Now that I look at it, that seems very likely to be one of the inspirations.

Incredible Member

Hephaestus will have an Imp-like appearance in Historia. Phil Jimenez posted a photo of him on his Instagram a few months back.

Incredible Member

Now that I look at it, that seems very likely to be one of the inspirations.
    That and that they depicted her as some kind of "Body positivity'' figure. I will admit that I don't like Aphrodite's character design in Historia.
    Last edited by Veni; 07-19-2021 at 03:48 AM.

Aphrodite's visual depiction in Historia is my favorite look she has ever had in comics!!! More reason for me to check out that book!!

I'm liking living statue Athena.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    I'm liking living statue Athena.
    I love Athena's design. It is so otherwordly and...creepy even, but oddly enough, not in a negative way. It just conveys (to me) a sense of cosmic off-kilterness that is just perfect for a deity.
    And Aphrodite is just absurdly beautiful. Just perfect, IMO.
    I would love if these Olympian deity designs were integrated into the main book!! I know that the more intricate linework of some of them would be hell for an artist on a monthly shedule, but I am sure that they could streamline some of the designs while retaining their stylistic essence (pretty much what they usually do with superhero costumes for animated shows).

Gosh, I'd love to pick DeConnick's and Jimenez' brains in regard to how all these creative decisions came about. I know that Jimenez has already given us peeks here and there, but I'd love a full-fledged "commentary track" in Historia. LOL
    Last edited by HestiasHearth; 07-18-2021 at 11:08 PM.

That Athena is going to haunt my dreams.

I did create a thread to discuss race and ethnicity in Wonder Woman in case anyone is interested in taking the conversation there

https://community.cbr.com/showthread...ranchise/page2

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    Yes, I get the same vibes. Totally.
    “You see…the rest of them are soldiers. But [Wonder Woman] is an artist.”

I only support the made of clay origin.

Zeus isn't going to Diana's father

https://www.comicsbeat.com/zeus-not-...oman-historia/