Page 50 of 126 FirstFirst ... 4046474849505152535460100 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post

Yeah, wasn’t sure on DeConnick since I’ve never read her stuff before but pretty interested on what her takes will be now. Like how it will portray Athena and Ares.
    The book will lose me on the writing if it devolves into something extremely preachy, one of the reasons I dropped the book under GWW. I want to see the differences between Ares and Athena played out in their actions and not through mountains of dialogue. I can see Jimenez putting 110% effort into his art and designs so its obvious that visually they are different, which has me wondering actually, does Athena being a moving statute symbolize something more then being a famous rendition of her? and do Ares and her designs mirror each other in a way we can't see yet?
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

One that he discovered revolves around Ares, the Greek God of War, who’s has historically been Wonder Woman’s primary villain. “But,” he says, “what I really come to realize over years of doing a lot of research and academic writing, is that Ares, doesn’t just represent war, both in comics and mythology, but patriarchy.
    I think it's important to distinguish Ares and Mars, cause mythological Ares is an unloved child and unpopular god who never wins. Not exactly the best "face" of patriarchy, unlike Zeus, Poseidon or even Hera.

Ares represents the savagery of war so from that angle, you could say he represents an aspect of toxic masculinity. I agree that Zeus is the literal patriarchy though.

I read DcConnicks Captain Marvel run and some of her Aquaman (which did have Diana in it).

She’s a good writer, and the only issue I’ve sometimes had with her writing is it is very decompress. Sometimes not much happens in an issue, her main focus is always the characters.

Since she pitched this as a smaller story, I don’t think that will be a problem though.
    ~I just keep swimming through these threads~

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    I wonder if this book will find a way to incorporate Donna in some way. I know the last volume is supposed to end before Diana leaves the Island, but it doesn't mean Donna can't show up earlier (either rescued from the fire by Hippolyta or shipwrecked on Themyscira). The girl could really use a definitive, comprehensible origin story.
    I would love for DC to do something meaningful with Donna at some point, but I don’t think shoehorning her into a story that takes place before she’s supposedly born would make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    I read DcConnicks Captain Marvel run and some of her Aquaman (which did have Diana in it).

She’s a good writer, and the only issue I’ve sometimes had with her writing is it is very decompress. Sometimes not much happens in an issue, her main focus is always the characters.

Since she pitched this as a smaller story, I don’t think that will be a problem though.
    The best example of DeConnick's work is B*TCH PLANET. It's a masterpiece.
    Author of the Instant New York Times bestselling novel, The Prophets, from G.P. Putnman's Sons.

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    I think it's important to distinguish Ares and Mars, cause mythological Ares is an unloved child and unpopular god who never wins. Not exactly the best "face" of patriarchy, unlike Zeus, Poseidon or even Hera.
    Hercules would be my immediate go-to for "toxic masculinity" deconstruction of Greek mythos though like John Venus said, there is some basis with Are representing "savagery of war".

Though just about all the main male gods could probably represent it in some way if you look all their various stories.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by SonOfBaldwin View Post
    I agree Bitch Planet is great.

I also really enjoyed her Pretty Deadly.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SonOfBaldwin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Shimbo View Post
    I agree Bitch Planet is great.

I also really enjoyed her Pretty Deadly.
    I got both volumes of Bitch Planet and the first volume of Pretty Deadly in preparation for this project. I liked both, but I liked Bitch Planet more. I hope there is more at some point

I got a good feeling when she said she wasn't a fan of Batman.

I got a good feeling when she said she wasn't a fan of Batman.
    HA!

Yeah, her Diana in Aquaman was good.

~I just keep swimming through these threads~

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

HA!

Honestly, the weakest link in her Aquaman run is sadly Arthur himself, but I'm one of the people on this board who very much enjoyed her run on the book. It added some cool elements to the mythos (Mother Shark is dope) and the art was stellar throughout.

She wrote a pretty solid Diana, and I am excited to read her upcoming Wonder Woman project even if Diana is only on the last page or something.
    May we never forget:

Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

HA!

Honestly, love this interaction. My one nitpick is the coloring, her arm band is suppose to be gold not silver.

My one problem with DeConnick's writing of heroes, like Captian Marvel, is her action is pretty bland often lack luster. I get she's a good character writer and for example she has a nice grasp of Diana here, but I'd be bored to death if she wrote Diana.
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

I hope things go well. And I hope we get Wonder Woman's daughter back too
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by AmiMizuno; 08-10-2021 at 06:41 PM.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CSb2IaVrA5I/

"A little sneak peak of one of the many locations we call “god-spaces” from #WWHistoria Vol 1. Sharing ‘cause I think it’s neat. �� Longtime #WonderWoman fans should be able to guess where/what it is…"

Untitled.jpg
    Author of the Instant New York Times bestselling novel, The Prophets, from G.P. Putnman's Sons.