Page 90 of 126 FirstFirst ... 4080868788899091929394100 ... LastLast
Results 1,336 to 1,350 of 1885
    Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Don't have time to listen to that interview now, but if the whole series is a collaboration with Phil, does that mean he designed the seventh tribe of Amazons and any other upcoming characters? And Ha and Scott are basing their work around his designs?

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Don't have time to listen to that interview now, but if the whole series is a collaboration with Phil, does that mean he designed the seventh tribe of Amazons and any other upcoming characters? And Ha and Scott are basing their work around his designs?
    Didn't go into that much. I assume Scott and Ha will have their own takes on Amazons who debut in their issues but make them fit in with the look Jimenez went with since he was first.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Deconnick's prose continue to slap.

These Amazons are not messing around. This is the first time I'm seeing ruthless, man-killing Amazons in a DC book where I'm 100% behind it.

Deconnick's prose continue to slap.

These Amazons are not messing around. This is the first time I'm seeing ruthless, man-killing Amazons in a DC book where I'm 100% behind it.
    DC has at least one good book coming out in in April.

Sure are a lot of birds following Polly around

Do mine eyes deceive me? Is this really coming out next Tuesday? I just imagined there would be another interminable wait for the next installment. I’m so excited!
    “You see…the rest of them are soldiers. But [Wonder Woman] is an artist.”

I only support the made of clay origin.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianWilly View Post
    Sure are a lot of birds following Polly around
    Gonna get the entire genus in one issue.

Anybody have a higher quality image of the Goddess spread from the preview? The one Aipt makes it hard to make out what the text says.

Anybody have a higher quality image of the Goddess spread from the preview? The one Aipt makes it hard to make out what the text says.
    Here's one from Bleeding Cool

Last edited by Gaius; 04-03-2022 at 09:07 AM.

Awesome, thanks!

Love all of those, but I think Hecate's may be my favorite

Gene’s art is so beautiful, omg.

I liked this issue more than the first one, it was a more satisfying read IMO. Really hope we get the other volumes after this, we're 2/3 of the way through and it doesn't feel long enough.
    Last edited by I'm a Fish; 04-05-2022 at 08:50 AM. Reason: Typo
    ~I just keep swimming through these threads~

Ha was a great follow up to Jimenez.

Agree with I'm a Fish, bit more meat on the bone in this story in comparison to the first issue. Really like what this story is doing for Hippolyta.

I didn't think they could outdo themselves but they did. In retrospect a lot of the vol. 1 felt like issue 0 because they were setting up all of the pieces but this one was pure storytelling. Before reading it I was skeptical of how they were going to get to Hippolyta becoming an Amazon in one issue, but the pacing was perfect and KSD's prose was so dynamic and absolutely beautiful (though I can see the "not all men!!" types getting worked up already...). It's a huge bummer that we have to wait for the indeterminate fall for vol. 3 but I'm so excited to see Nicola's take on it - I can't imagine how much pressure she must feel considering who she's following, but she does expression and character better than just about anyone so it'll be really cool to see how her take distinguishes itself.

Spoilery thoughts:

spoilers:
    It was neat seeing them subtly plant little narrative clues. The scene where one of the Amazons (can't remember which) talks to Hippolyta about how the Amazons were born as they were but still understand the blessing of a child felt like HEAVY foreshadowing and Hippolyta's tribe being devoted to all of the goddesses definitely feels like it's setting up a Perez-esque creation story. KSD also mentioned in an interview that she wanted Artemis to play a key role because Diana is her namesake which now makes sense so I wonder if that will continue to play in. I have a feeling Artemis' blood is going to have some significance - Hippolyta having a goddess' blood smeared on her face through most of the issue feels like it warrants more than just one comment, so maybe that's what ultimately gives her immortality?

Looking ahead, I'm VERY curious to see how Hermes ultimately factors in - they definitely have something planned for him considering we didn't see him with any of the other gods in this issue, which tracks with that moment in vol. 1 where Zeus can't even remember what he represents. And from that last page looks like the next volume will focus on the fight with Heracles' army - my guess is that Hippolyta's going to become queen of all of the Amazons by uniting the tribes against him and it makes me think the conclusion will be the Amazons ultimately settling on Themyscira. Either way I can't wait to see where it goes.
    end of spoilers

Regarding the art: Beyond just doing an objectively incredible job, I think Gene was actually a better fit for this issue than Phil. Phil's bombastic, over-the-top style made perfect sense for an issue that was mostly set on Olympus (which SHOULD feel crazy colorful and surreal) but Gene's more grounded, expressive approach worked better for an issue that was mostly set on Earth following humans/Amazons, plus he was just able to fit in a lot more plot. Also this is a subtle thing but I love how both Phil and Gene drew Hippolyta's nose! She actually looks Mediterranean, and as someone with a very similar nose who rarely sees it represented in media at all (much less in comic books) I really appreciated the detail. My only very minor beef with Gene's art was that I think he made Hera look a little too human compared to the other goddesses, but I think that's just because Phil set the bar so high with that character specifically.

That said, even though this may be getting ahead of myself it already whet my appetite for the additional 6 issues. 1 more volume feels like nowhere near enough - this feels like it could shape into an all-time great and I think I know what the endpoint will be in vol. 3 but even that feels like the beginning of a much larger story.

AIPT gives Wonder Woman Historia: The Amazons Book Two a 10 out of 10:

"[It] will take your breath away."

https://aiptcomics.com/2022/04/05/wo...zons-2-review/

Author of the Instant New York Times bestselling novel, The Prophets, from G.P. Putnman's Sons.