Page 92 of 126 FirstFirst ... 4282888990919293949596102 ... LastLast
Results 1,366 to 1,380 of 1885

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Man, DeConnick has to be the best Hippolyta writer.

DeConnick's Hippolyta feels actually mythic, which is something I don't think other writers have ever tried with Hippolyta.

The running for months on end, stalking the Amazons, being marked with the blood of a goddess. It all feels like an actual Greek myth.
    ~I just keep swimming through these threads~

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    DeConnick's Hippolyta feels actually mythic, which is something I don't think other writers have ever tried with Hippolyta.

The running for months on end, stalking the Amazons, being marked with the blood of a goddess. It all feels like an actual Greek myth.
    Yeah, the running from the previous issue read like something from The Iliad.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Man, DeConnick has to be the best Hippolyta writer.
    I think she definitely won that title just based on these two issues. Before that, I would say it was Perez, with some good moments from Jimenez and Simone.

Quote Originally Posted by bardkeep View Post
    Hippolyta's reasoning here really reminded me of Trial of the Amazons, with spoilers:
    Diana representing all of the Amazon tribes in the contest
    end of spoilers. And on that basis I'm interpreting all of Historia as canon
    I choose to accept this is canon no matter what DC says.

I also hope it manages to influence the video game, but it's probably too late for that.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

I think if we got more of this in WWs main title, it'd probably be more successful. Especially with the Gods and them shown as powerful and majestic as they are instead of always being killed.

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    I think if we got more of this in WWs main title, it'd probably be more successful. Especially with the Gods and them shown as powerful and majestic as they are instead of always being killed.
    Writers keep trying to “ground” Diana when it’s so much more entertaining to go full on “epic” with her and her mythos. I’d like to see KSD write the main WW title, or at least do another BL book focused on Diana.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I think she definitely won that title just based on these two issues. Before that, I would say it was Perez, with some good moments from Jimenez and Simone.
    Yeah, this is really doing a lot to setup Hippolyta as the person Diana looks up to. A lot more than stuff like Hippolyta running around in WW2.

It's practically tautological at this point, but I think it's safe to say that this is essentially the best book that DC is putting out right now, and will end up being one of the best WW stories they've ever put out. Which is a little ironic considering Diana herself doesn't appear in it...sort of. Folks have suggested that Diana's the lil' bird, and it's a pretty reasonable theory...unless De Connick is just giving us a great big red herring, which is why it seems so seemingly reasonable

It'd be interesting if there was something going on with Hermes. I can't imagine they just forgot to put him in those final pages?...unless this is another red herring lol.

Christ, comparing it with the main titles right now is almost unfair. When will they put De Connick on a canon WW series?

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Wonder Woman really should be the equivalent of stuff like Tolkein or Berserk (in the latter case, more the high standards for art and epic fantasy, not so much....other aspects).

Most of her main villains can be folded into this fairly easily as well.

Yeah, this is really doing a lot to setup Hippolyta as the person Diana looks up to. A lot more than stuff like Hippolyta running around in WW2.
    I feel like that's Hippolyta on the cover of #1, so I feel we will see her in WW armor and being called "Wonder Woman" at some point. But I feel that these two issues and the story they are setting up are showing that Hippolyta and the Amazons don't need to be superhero legacies that Diana inherits, including having Hippolyta be Wonder Woman with the JSA. Their story is engrossing and distinct on its own, and Wonder Woman's story is still borne from it naturally.

The Amazons are also kind of the inverse of the Legion of Superheroes. A sub-franchise tied to one of the major DC heroes (Wonder Woman and Superman), with one being in the far past of the DCU while the other is the far future.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianWilly View Post
    It's practically tautological at this point, but I think it's safe to say that this is essentially the best book that DC is putting out right now, and will end up being one of the best WW stories they've ever put out. Which is a little ironic considering Diana herself doesn't appear in it...sort of.
    Wonder Womans best stories (or one of) not actually starring her in it all is....so Wonder Woman sadly.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Wonder Woman really should be the equivalent of stuff like Tolkein or Berserk (in the latter case, more the high standards for art and epic fantasy, not so much....other aspects).

Most of her main villains can be folded into this fairly easily as well.

I feel like that's Hippolyta on the cover of #1, so I feel we will see her in WW armor and being called "Wonder Woman" at some point. But I feel that these two issues and the story they are setting up are showing that Hippolyta and the Amazons don't need to be superhero legacies that Diana inherits, including having Hippolyta be Wonder Woman with the JSA. Their story is engrossing and distinct on its own, and Wonder Woman's story is still borne from it naturally.

The Amazons are also kind of the inverse of the Legion of Superheroes. A sub-franchise tied to one of the major DC heroes (Wonder Woman and Superman), with one being in the far past of the DCU while the other is the far future.
    Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised that if we get all nine books (or even by the third one) if Hippolyta's in the WW armor that she was wearing on the first issue cover.

~I just keep swimming through these threads~

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Writers keep trying to “ground” Diana when it’s so much more entertaining to go full on “epic” with her and her mythos. I’d like to see KSD write the main WW title, or at least do another BL book focused on Diana.
    I feel like people want more "grounded" just because they want to see Diana fight her Rogues Gallery and not deal with Gods and Monsters 24/7.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I feel like people want more "grounded" just because they want to see Diana fight her Rogues Gallery and not deal with Gods and Monsters 24/7.
    I think you could easily fit them in.

Personally I think its that people have conflicting definitions of what things like 'grounded' means

I think you could easily fit them in.
    I mean, maybe? But I feel like with characters like Poison, Giganta, Cyber, Psycho, and Silver Swan...they're very science oriented, so unless you re-imagine them or play up more of a contrast with a more fantastical Diana...but I'm not sure if it's necessary.