Page 93 of 126 FirstFirst ... 4383899091929394959697103 ... LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,395 of 1885

I think when people say "grounded" they mean Steve and Etta; rogues like Dr. Psycho, Giganta, Veronica Cale, and a smattering of hokey Golden Age villains; and (optionally) the vaguely military/metahuman affairs stuff. Honestly I find that those arcs often wind up being dull and forgettable, plus in the hands of a writer who doesn't get the character Diana gets reduced to "strong, very serious lady who doesn't use contractions when she speaks" (which is only mildly preferable to "angry lady who kills things with sword"). Some writers like Rucka and Simone do the "grounded" side of things really well but IMO even they tend to be most successful when they toe the line between the two, e.g. the Medusa arc or The Circle.

I actually loved Azzarello's scale and approach to myth, not to mention Cliff Chiang's gorgeous artwork and super creative take on the gods. It's just a shame that he had no interest in/understanding of the character and instead wrote a gender-swapped Hercules story that got canonized as Wonder Woman and the Amazons. It also led to a long stretch of clueless writers trying to do the huge-scale myth stuff but failing miserably, continually doing damage to the character and her mythos in the process (see: Poochie...sorry, Jason). With all of that considered, it's not surprising that a lot of fans are really gunning for the less grandiose side of things.

Hopefully Historia restores people's good will about the high fantasy, gods and monsters stuff because that's definitely what I prefer. And if we must focus on the non-mythic side...pleeeease give us more Trung Le Nguyen WW. His story about museum curator Diana and Badra in Black and Gold was amazing and I would love to see him do a full GN.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I feel like people want more "grounded" just because they want to see Diana fight her Rogues Gallery and not deal with Gods and Monsters 24/7.
    I think you can still keep the epic feel with her regular Rogues, but it requires more intelligent use of them and outlining specifics would derail the thread. Be interested to see what KSD would do with Circe and Cheetah.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

I mean, maybe? But I feel like with characters like Poison, Giganta, Cyber, Psycho, and Silver Swan...they're very science oriented, so unless you re-imagine them or play up more of a contrast with a more fantastical Diana...but I'm not sure if it's necessary.
    The first two Silver Swans were far more Mythic an fantasy than science oriented. Dr Psycho has never been science oriented, with the most hightened version of the character actively travelling to the astral plane and the dreamworld, harnessing ectoplasm, and general supernatural stuff.

The Erik Luke version of Dr Poison was closer to supernatural than to science fiction

Wonder Woman is an amazon demigoddess who was created from clay that was given life by mythical creatures. She was raised by a race of women warriors created by Olympian gods. F*** grounded. I don't want her to fight monsters from myth every issue, but I certainly don't want her book to become a tedious, boring grounded book.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Writers keep trying to “ground” Diana when it’s so much more entertaining to go full on “epic” with her and her mythos. I’d like to see KSD write the main WW title, or at least do another BL book focused on Diana.

Quote Originally Posted by HestiasHearth View Post
    Wonder Woman is an amazon demigoddess who was created from clay that was given life by mythical creatures. She was raised by a race of women warriors created by Olympian gods. F*** grounded. I don't want her to fight monsters from myth every issue, but I certainly don't want her book to become a tedious, boring grounded book.

Um, how are we defining grounded here?
    Last edited by Agent Z; 04-06-2022 at 03:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Um, how are we defining grounded here?
    Alright, maybe we all have different definitions. I don't want Diana to fight common criminals (like she did in most of her TV show) or villains that someone like Daredevil or Batgirl could take on. Theoretically speaking, she is the most powerful superheroine of the DC universe. Even if she does not tackle mythological threats all the time, I want her to fight larger-than-life villains who are powerful enough (whether it's actual physical power or monetary/influence-wise [like a Luthor-type]). Regardless of what the movies say, even comic book Batman fights fantastical threats like Poison Ivy and Clayface. It's not all grounded stuff.

Personally im not as invested in power levels and strength necesarily. I just wanna see stories that lean into the more unusual and dream-like surreal. Back in the Golden Age there was the 'Astral Plane' and we had strange and unusual enemies and stories unlike anything else.

An entire continent from another planet crash landing into the pacific ocean leading to an all male group of seamen from a world where the only woman was the ocean.

A Holliday girl who was also a professional high flying thief who was also the owner of an astral beast with the power of time travel. A Jojo character forty years before Jojos Bizarre Adventure was even written.

Circe having her own personal planet populated by space explorers who she transmorgified into animals~

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Mittens View Post
    Personally im not as invested in power levels and strength necesarily. I just wanna see stories that lean into the more unusual and dream-like surreal. Back in the Golden Age there was the 'Astral Plane' and we had strange and unusual enemies and stories unlike anything else.

An entire continent from another planet crash landing into the pacific ocean leading to an all male group of seamen from a world where the only woman was the ocean.

A Holliday girl who was also a professional high flying thief who was also the owner of an astral beast with the power of time travel. A Jojo character forty years before Jojos Bizarre Adventure was even written.

Circe having her own personal planet populated by space explorers who she transmorgified into animals~
    Seconded here. I think the character of WW is strong enough (not power-level wise, I mean from a characterization standpoint) to handle variety with ease. I'm not the biggest fan of having WW as a spy or agents like she's been from time to time, but the mythological can become dull just as quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I think you can still keep the epic feel with her regular Rogues, but it requires more intelligent use of them and outlining specifics would derail the thread. Be interested to see what KSD would do with Circe and Cheetah.
    If we get all nine books, I wouldn't be surprised if Circe shows up.

Also thought one of Hera's dress here looked rather like Circe's Perez design.
    Last edited by Gaius; 04-06-2022 at 05:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    If we get all nine books, I wouldn't be surprised if Circe shows up.
    Oh man someone PLEASE give Phil a crack at Circe. She needs to be saved from the terrible looks artists have been giving her over the past however many years.

Crossing fingers for the chance that DC does something good (for a change...) and aproves the 9 numbers. Come on...

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Id see them doing it in 3s. But id imagine they'd have to greenlight soon so she can get started and have #4 come out in early 2023.

Quote Originally Posted by HestiasHearth View Post
    Alright, maybe we all have different definitions. I don't want Diana to fight common criminals (like she did in most of her TV show) or villains that someone like Daredevil or Batgirl could take on. Theoretically speaking, she is the most powerful superheroine of the DC universe. Even if she does not tackle mythological threats all the time, I want her to fight larger-than-life villains who are powerful enough (whether it's actual physical power or monetary/influence-wise [like a Luthor-type]). Regardless of what the movies say, even comic book Batman fights fantastical threats like Poison Ivy and Clayface. It's not all grounded stuff.
    I think we can see Diana take on a variety of different threats.

I think we can see Diana take on a variety of different threats.
    Yes, more Wonder Woman gods and villains. Less Max Lords.

Spectacular Member

Wonder Woman exists in both worlds,so she should have friends,enemies and adventures from the two sides.

Ignoring one for another,be it mythology or real world,is taking away a fundamental part of the character