Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Marvel.com Interview with Bunn on Cry Havok arc

The six part Cry Havok storyline starts next week and Bunn discusses Emma Frost and Malice in the lead up.

https://news.marvel.com/comics/85918...ce-x-men-blue/
    Last edited by jmc247; 03-08-2018 at 01:56 PM.

BANNED

How spoilerish is it? And is it good news, bad news, or somewhere in between?

Quote Originally Posted by Heroine Addict View Post
    How spoilerish is it? And is it good news, bad news, or somewhere in between?
    In regard to Lorna its a bit hard to say, it sounds like it might be an open ended struggling with an AU Malice possession and you long knew my views there. I will give this arc a couple issues and see how it goes.
    Last edited by jmc247; 03-08-2018 at 04:18 PM.

BANNED

Kay, cool, thanX. Doesn't sound too bad, so will just go & check it out, then.

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

Don't know how to feel about this Malice nonsense. It's just tired tbh, and the fact that there could be a twist with Malice itself doesn't excite me. Really wish he could have come up with something different for Lorna.

BANNED

Not a whole lot of new info, other than the possibility raised of this Malice being AU, as you mentioned. This was the snippet I liked best, tho:

... Marvel.com: Speaking of story themes, how do fan favorites Polaris and Emma Frost fit in with the idea of “destiny versus free will” that this series has been exploring?

Cullen Bunn:
    An interesting pair you’ve picked for this question. For one, the theme of free will is overt. Polaris is in danger of being possessed by Malice. She must struggle against that if she wants to be herself. For Emma, she struggles against destinies of her own making. She started out as a villain. She became a teacher. She became a hero. Then, because of a terrible loss, she became a villain again. The story in the next few issues will show what she decides she must be…and if those around her will accept it. ...

BANNED

And YIKES:

... Magneto is angry. ... forced to take some drastic steps. ...

... Havok wants this because be believes, deep down, that mutants should rule the world.
    ... talk about flippin' the switch, that's some serious role reversal, right there.

talk about flippin' the switch, that's some serious role reversal, right there.
    A magic inversion is a reversal that means due to magic he is the opposite of normal Havok who doesn't want to be called a mutant.
    Last edited by jmc247; 03-08-2018 at 03:21 PM.

Ultimate Member

The housewife junk was written by a non X-writer like more than 40 years ago so I don't see present or near future Alex or Lorna wanting anything to do with that storyline and such...the don't call me mutant Alex was all Remender's doing and could easily just be ignored/forgotten about when he gets univerted, as for Bunn's view of inverted Alex...he's pretty much taking Magneto's old world view, as for any future A/L pairing it's all in the writing, as long as both are written well and not just as the boy or girlfriend or such of the other they'd be fine, especially now with Scott gone and Magneto not getting a big push neither are going to be overshadowed by their families...though I think that I do agree with jmc and others that Malice should go away and stay away...on that view alone I think that we agree...

Incredible Member

Hmmm...I wanna say that this will be a AU Malice as the real malice is under Doc Octopus possession. (or maybe cloned in his possession with the real one a prisoner of Cyclops... story was kinda weird)

Could a AU version of Malice be Ultimate Zala Dane?

Quote Originally Posted by Heroine Addict View Post
    And YIKES:

... talk about flippin' the switch, that's some serious role reversal, right there.
    Ugh this does not fill me with faith for Havok's portrayal. At this point can we just bring back Vulcan so they can cut it out on trying to make Havok into the evil Summers brother because...reasons. He's a hero and this face-heel turn has dragged on far too long, especially when Tony's inversion wore off a long time ago a plot point was made of Creed's wearing off. What is there to gain in making Alex a villain? This coupled with the Hitler Cyclops really makes it feel like Marvel is doing all they can to **** on the Summers name.
    Last edited by Kurolegacy; 03-08-2018 at 05:31 PM.

Ultimate Member

It's a way for Bunn to keep Alex and Lorna apart and make Magneto look better by comparison I'd guess..., though the whole being inverted thing could just be an easy to way to in effect whitewash Alex into whatever Marvel wants him to be next, just saying that his being inverted is what made him do everything that some don't like about the character and then go on from there, just get him univerted and healed up and go from there...

When it comes to comics it is only natural that heroes are forced to face their greatest fears and traumas as this is an integral part of these characters. That is why certain plots are used several times including old enemies that always end up coming back. In this sense Polaris and Monet share the experience of being possessed and although not of the same level of Wanda we have Polaris suffering with mental illness from time to time.

Despite knowing that I confess since Polaris was absent as a long time would like to see her in action without returning to these old plots again.This kind of thing should be addressed in longer stories which is not the case since this team will not last long. But maybe I'm wrong and Polaris gets less of an issue fighting for his body at least I hope so.

I do not know what Bunn or the editors plan for Emma and Havok. I always had the impression that this was imposed on Bunn and he seems to really like Emma but her situation is a lot worse than Havok who will probably receive a free pass for being inverted.

The longerthat they keep him inverted, the more stupid the whole thing becomes. A somewhat interesting character study came from Tony in Superior Iron Man and possibly some of the best characterization in a long time came from Creed being inverted. The same can’t be said for Havok who’s just become a one note generic mustache twirling mutant villain. Hell its ridiculous that both that Evan was able to overcome the inversion through sheer force of will yet Havok is apparently so weak willed that he doesn’t even budge and that the X-Men who are close to him haven’t even tried to appeal to who he really is and it’s instead treated like he’s always been like this considering they don’t even seem to care.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    ... and that the X-Men who are close to him haven’t even tried to appeal to who he really is and it’s instead treated like he’s always been like this considering they don’t even seem to care.
    Not all of them: