Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Doesn't disprove my point. And I wasn't digging very deep

Quote Originally Posted by SneakyLookingSort View Post
    Doesn't disprove my point. And I wasn't digging very deep
    and it doesn't disprove mine either.

rahne sinclair has decades of dialogue to draw from, i've provided several examples through the decades where she explicitly does not use the corruption "ah"

.. your point hinges on a book where peter david contradicts his own established dialogue of her (even contradicting his own use of her dialogue WITHIN the same book), as well as her creator's and everyone else that's written her over the years.

maybe rosenberg is only familiar with rahne from the point when peter david started phoning it in?

I have never been a fan of writing accents phonetically in literature. I guess comics and graphic novels are more visual pieces of writing, so, I guess the words have to be more visual? Meh.

Everyone across the globe speaks in an accent. So, spelling certain words out phonetically is saying that one accent is normal, whereas the other is not. Do you think people in the south write "ah" everytime they say "I"? No, they do not, because "I" is spelled like "I."

In an article I read before by Rose Lerner, she used the example of the word, "walk." Some accents, it sounds like they're saying "wok." However, "walk" and "wok" are two different words and meanings.

Writing accents phonetically doesn't mean you're a more experienced writer. I actually find it lazy and an ill attempt to showcase a character's accent and dialect. And it's actually more unnecessary work. They should rely on diction and grammar to do that. Also, use certain lingo of where the character is from, and the very rare and occasional misspelling of words to express dialects. I know there is limited space for dialogue in comics, but especially for characters that have been around for literally decades, we know of how they speak. We don't need to be reminded every time they mutter the word, "I."

I know this is all irrelevant to the topic at hand since we're debating comic and character accuracy here. Just thought I would throw that in. Otherwise, I very much enjoyed the issue and I could do without the jarring phonetic spelling of accents.
    Last edited by gifted; 03-14-2018 at 09:45 AM.

“Have courage and be kind. Where there is kindness there is goodness, and where there is goodness there is magic.”
    Cinderella

i agree that if you can't do the phonetics right, or stick true to form, then they shouldn't be done at all.

Quote Originally Posted by gifted View Post
    I have never been a fan of writing accents phonetically in literature. I guess comics and graphic novels are more visual pieces of writing, so, I guess the words have to be more visual? Meh.

Everyone across the globe speaks in an accent. So, spelling certain words out phonetically is saying that one accent is normal, whereas the other is not. Do you think people in the south write "ah" everytime they say "I"? No, they do not, because "I" is spelled like "I."

In an article I read before by Rose Lerner, she used the example of the word, "walk." Some accents, it sounds like they're saying "wok." However, "walk" and "wok" are two different words and meanings.

Writing accents phonetically doesn't mean you're a more experienced writer. I actually find it lazy and an ill attempt to showcase a character's accent and dialect. And it's actually more unnecessary work. They should rely on diction and grammar to do that. Also, use certain lingo of where the character is from, and the very rare and occasional misspelling of words to express dialects. I know there is limited space for dialogue in comics, but especially for characters that have been around for literally decades, we know of how they speak. We don't need to be reminded every time they mutter the word, "I."

I know this is all irrelevant to the topic at hand since we're debating comic and character accuracy here. Just thought I would throw that in. Otherwise, I very much enjoyed the issue and I could do without the jarring phonetic spelling of accents.
    I like comic accents. I like being able to recognize characters even when they are shouting from outside the panel.

Ah didn't even notice!

...This seems very minor. Did it take you out of the story that much?

BANNED

This is the stupidest discussion ever. The issue was great.

Quote Originally Posted by SneakyLookingSort View Post
    I like comic accents. I like being able to recognize characters even when they are shouting from outside the panel.
    Reading phonetic accents are, indeed, fun. Don't get me wrong. I just personally think I can better recognize a writer's talent when they don't need to use it. Because if abused or used too much, it comes off as distracting, sometimes difficult to read, and borderline ridiculous.

And yes, I agree with everyone else. I don't think it was a big issue in Dead Souls at all! I absolutely loved it and it was a breath of fresh air to see these characters as major players of a story, let alone just interacting with each other again.

“Have courage and be kind. Where there is kindness there is goodness, and where there is goodness there is magic.”
    Cinderella

Quote Originally Posted by Andru View Post
    Ah didn't even notice!

...This seems very minor. Did it take you out of the story that much?
    it did take me out of the story. enough that i felt compelled to comment on it.

i would be just as bothered by rogue suddenly saying "I" when she's said "ah" her whole life or banshee saying "you" when he's said "ye" forever.

or moira and rahne saying "you're" when they always say "yuir."

stop accepting lazy writing and demand more from these people. we're giving them entirely too much money to act this sloppy.

and like gifted mentioned, if you can't do it correctly, err on the side of caution and just don't do it at all.

as for the rest of the comic, there were certain parts i enjoyed. it's always nice to see boom boom.

and like others have mentioned on this thread, i was also bothered by the suggestions of casual animal cruelty displayed in this book.

i don't even attribute it to illyana's morality or lack thereof. i think it reflects stronger on the writer's own sense of morality than hers (she is a fictional character after all).

rosenberg clearly thought it was a comedic moment, when there's nothing remotely comedic about it, or about the horrors that illyana suffered in limbo herself.

BANNED

Animal abuse and an endless stream of stupid quips. So disappointing. 'Dead Souls' must be referring to this morally bankrupt team of caricatures.

Edit: Someone tell Rosenberg that BPRD exists.
    Last edited by Vegan Daddy; 03-14-2018 at 12:34 PM.

This was interesting for a first issue. Super happy to see Rictor and Karma again. Surprised to see spoilers:
    Prodigy.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by AcesX1X View Post
    it did take me out of the story. enough that i felt compelled to comment on it.

i would be just as bothered by rogue suddenly saying "I" when she's said "ah" her whole life or banshee saying "you" when he's said "ye" forever.

or moira and rahne saying "you're" when they always say "yuir."

stop accepting lazy writing and demand more from these people. we're giving them entirely too much money to act this sloppy.

and like gifted mentioned, if you can't do it correctly, err on the side of caution and just don't do it at all.
    Sorry, I did not find the writing lazy or sloppy at all. Regardless if Rosenberg used "I" or "Ah" I still got the point and read it in Rahne's Scot accent.

Out of all the "blunders" that could happen when it comes to spelling, grammar, continuity, etc. this seems very harmless.

Like I mentioned, it was not even something I noticed. And even if it was, and it was something that bothered me, the positives in this issue certainly outweigh it.

Astonishing Member

I liked the book, and I prefer Magik with some degree of controversial moral choices, to how she was in Lemires Extraordinary

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

I really liked this. Characterization was on point, the story is intriguing, good banter ("that twink from the Young Avengers", HA), and I really loved Gorham's expressive style. Best X-Book? Also spoilers:
    really happy to see Prodigy pop up
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    This is the stupidest discussion ever. The issue was great.
    Agreed. This, along with the cat stuff, are just odd things to be so overly critical about.