Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Default Action Comics 999 Preview

One more issue of Jurgens, opposite of the cover, looks like it may be a emotional issue: https://nerdist.com/dan-jurgens-acti...man-exclusive/

Also, looks like the last villain Jurgens is using in his run is Cyborg Superman.

Well, maybe Jon gets a relationship with 1 of his grandparents? Though if Sam Lane knows about Clark/find out about it, well, that ought to be interesting.

There's no payoff if there's not tension at first, so Jurgens is doing right by still making it very palpable here. This really only works if you sift through that, get Sam and Lois to a comfortable place, then the bombshell that Clark is Superman and Jon is half Kryptonian. Then you're at the meat of things and play off on that new tension until eventually you get to a place where this guy is accepting of everything. The whole thing should take some time but it'll be worth it in the end. Of course, whether the seeds will be harvested sooner or later will depend greatly considering the new direction.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Outstanding cover art on AC999 to put a bow on this version of Superman - Hopefully, going forward with this "New Direction" Superman doesn't need a re-breather / oxygen when in deep space - it just doesn't look right.

Ha, as much as I reject so many of its concepts now, I still get reminders that I'm a comics fan born from a post-Crisis era. I didn't even notice the face gear at first. So I guess in my head I'm just going to assume he's doing it for convenience's sake. Yeah he can hold his breath, but when a space jaunt is planned and you have the tools available to you, why bother? Less effort to just breathe oxygen if the opportunity is there.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

The ole' John Bryne reboot; more human, more relatable influence hard at work, well at least he is not wearing a full space suit like he did In the Animated Series. However, I know what you mean but from the other side of the fence as for me Superman will always be PRE-Crisis who didn't need Oxygen - ah, miss those days!

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I feel like I've seen Lois washing enough dishes during this Rebirth period for a lifetime. Not a big deal, just a funny observation.

It is cool seeing #999 on a Action Comics cover!

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Man, the penultimate chapter of this run. Which seems thankfully self contained. This looks very neat and well placed.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    I feel like I've seen Lois washing enough dishes during this Rebirth period for a lifetime. Not a big deal, just a funny observation.
    I've always loved the visual of Superman doing dishes, which made him more relatable to me than deliberate story attempts. Especially this kid being a jerk about it.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy View Post
    Outstanding cover art on AC999 to put a bow on this version of Superman - Hopefully, going forward with this "New Direction" Superman doesn't need a re-breather / oxygen when in deep space - it just doesn't look right.
    It's a solution to an age old problem, where he'd get stranded in a place with no powers. He doesn't gain any advantage in traveling without it, but a possible one with it.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    I've always loved the visual of Superman doing dishes, which made him more relatable to me than deliberate story attempts. Especially this kid being a jerk about it.

Ha, yeah I've always loved seeing Superman doing stuff like that too.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

I just love that he wears an apron over his super suit!

Wow. This is the last triple numbered issue of Action Comics ever. Issue 700 seems like yesterday....

I must admit, seeing Supes in the oxygen mask and gear flashed me back to EXILE. So long ago...
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post

Wow. This is the last triple numbered issue of Action Comics ever. Issue 700 seems like yesterday....

I must admit, seeing Supes in the oxygen mask and gear flashed me back to EXILE. So long ago...
    and metal #1, he just had a mask..

I don’t mind seeing Supes use the oxygen mask if he’s on longer space missions or if he needs to communicate with other heroes or STAR Labs. Something like that is fine.

BANNED

Sam flexing expert troll skills with those flowers.

Also Lois looks really cute playing housewife

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post

Yep! I was thinking the same-thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post

I remember this... Wow...jerk is right, and I haven't heard the word "sissy" being used in decades..

It's a solution to an age old problem, where he'd get stranded in a place with no powers. He doesn't gain any advantage in traveling without it, but a possible one with it.
    Which also raises the age old questions about Superman's vulnerabilities (limitations) red sun...while being able to roam freely and under his "own power" - which, there is another thread discussing this topic.
    Last edited by jimmy; 03-10-2018 at 05:47 AM.