Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Bendis on Superman

What do you think will be the result?

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    What do you think will be the result?
    I'm hoping for the very best!!

BANNED

Bendis can be hot or cold with me, I know his faults, but I think his worst stuff usually comes from team books.

Took me a while, I'm back Netherman14's Avatar

I voted "Unsure/No opinion", because I'd rather wait and see what he does first.
    Pull-List:

DC: Batman: Damned, The Green Lantern. Young Justice. Wonder Twins

Boom!: Ronin Samurai.

BANNED

I voted for unsure. For me, he's saying all the right things and now I'm even a little excited. However, I'm still unsure on how this is going to play out.

Amazing Member

I'm not all that familiar with Bendis since I mostly stick to DC. From the interviews, I like that he wants to give metropolis the same sense of place that Gotham has. That's something I've felt has been lacking from the Superman line because the reboots he's seen regularly since crisis undermine any world-building momentum. People are concerned at seeing books like super sons canceled, but I'd bet on that being because of a larger, comprehensive vision being put into place for the superbooks, so I'm okay with seeing what they have in store.

On the other hand, it's concerning hearing that Bendis wants to address 'truth, justice, and the american way' because those things are under assault. I don't really see it that way, and while I can enjoy politics being explored in comics when it's done in an intelligent way, I'm not convinced that bendis is on the level of someone like alan moore, and my concern is he'll turn the character or books into a leftist mouthpiece over preserving the integrity of the character.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

I'm unsure. Hope for the best, expect the worst.

Realistically, I don't know. If I were to make an educated guess though I'm leaning toward better, just on the basis of how much I disliked Rebirth for the most part. It'll have to be REALLY bad for me to not find it at least an improvement. Which is always possible, but I think the odds right now lean toward me finding things better off.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Realistically, I don't know. If I were to make an educated guess though I'm leaning toward better, just on the basis of how much I disliked Rebirth for the most part. It'll have to be REALLY bad for me to not find it at least an improvement. Which is always possible, but I think the odds right now lean toward me finding things better off.
    What is it you disliked about rebirth?

I'd be faster to list what I liked. I liked the post-Reborn costume. I liked the classic Cyborg Superman coming back. I liked Maggie Sawyer and Bibbo being seen again. I loved the standalone issues Our Town and Good Night Moon. That's about it.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 03-10-2018 at 04:46 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Amazing Member

In my headcanon, the new 52 supes was connor kent, who took over as superman after the death of superman saga (which occurred much later in continuity than it actually did) and clark took the opportunity to abscond with lois and raise jon in secret as he covertly helped people in his black superman costume, only to return to the public eye upon connor's death.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by micahbevans88 View Post
    On the other hand, it's concerning hearing that Bendis wants to address 'truth, justice, and the american way' because those things are under assault. I don't really see it that way, and while I can enjoy politics being explored in comics when it's done in an intelligent way, I'm not convinced that bendis is on the level of someone like alan moore, and my concern is he'll turn the character or books into a leftist mouthpiece over preserving the integrity of the character.
    Based on what I read of his recent Iron Man volume and the reaction to it, his Superman will be more centrist than anything but people that are more right wing than they I'd like to admit will complain that he's writing Superman comics that are left-wing.

I am unsure. I have heard a lot of criticism about his work of past few years to feel comfortable. But i am more positive. His talent is undeniable and a new place to work often rejuvenates writers. I am most positive for one thing. He is trying to put some focus on the Daily Planet and Superman's role as a reporter. Both have been quite ignored for sometime. Hearing him it looks like he has a lot of passion for Superman. He is telling mostly good things. So, i am in a wait and watch mode yet, hopeful of good things.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 03-10-2018 at 10:00 PM.

Not a fan of Bendis given his history. With him, you just never know what he's gonna do.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dolores - The Worst Poster Ever View Post
    Based on what I read of his recent Iron Man volume and the reaction to it, his Superman will be more centrist than anything but people that are more right wing than they I'd like to admit will complain that he's writing Superman comics that are left-wing.
    How about writing characters people actually enjoy and relate to? It doesn't necessarily have anything to do with your politics

People don't like Riri because she's a perfect mary sue who every character props up and there are no real consequences to anything she does. No consequence, no drama, drama's what sells tickets, not how much you preach left-wing propaganda.
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 03-11-2018 at 07:45 AM.