11 26.19%
  • It'll be about the same

3 7.14%
  • Unsure / No Opinion

18 42.86%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    How about writing characters people actually enjoy and relate to? It has nothing to do with your politics
    Setting aside that art is political, I didn't say anything about enjoyment.

micahbevans88 said they were worried that Bendis would turn Superman into a "leftist mouthpiece". I responded that based on what I read of his recent Iron Man run, his Superman will be more centrist than anything, and that people that would complain about his Superman comics been left-wing would be more right-wing than they'd like to admit.

It was literally a response to someone concerned about how Bendis would characterize Superman politically. For you to say that it has nothing to do with politics means you completely missed the point.

As for enjoying and relating to characters, that's going to vary from person to person. For example, based on sales we can tell that more people have been enjoying Riri in the Iron Man books than Spider-Man in RYV, but you must feel the opposite, enjoying and relating more to Spider-Man in RYV than to Riri in Iron Man.

Astonishing Member

I worry for this

If it's self contained stuff he created I think he's great

But superman is a dc cornerstone

It coukd be great

But I am not convinced at all

BANNED

Some interesting poll results, for anyone who hasn't seen them.

http://community.comicbookresources....ns-Miss-Bendis

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post

Well, they sure make me think how toxic the fandom has become these days.
    Educational town, Rolemodel city and Moralofthestory land are the places where good comics go to die.

DC writers and editors looked up and shouted "Save us!"
    And Alan Moore looked down and whispered "No."

I'm kinda surprised Snyder didn't want Superman to watch Lois and Bruce conceive their love child. All the while singing the "Na na na na na na Batman!" theme song - Robotman, 03/06/2021

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post

This reminds me the rest of DC Fans joy(the people who knew about him) when they heard about Bendis in DC... bad...

There are many marvel fans happy for this.. I saw this recently in another place..
    Last edited by adrikito; 03-11-2018 at 12:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kilderkin View Post
    I worry for this

If it's self contained stuff he created I think he's great

But superman is a dc cornerstone

It coukd be great

But I am not convinced at all
    To be fair, Superman hasn't truly been treated as the cornerstone of the DC, outside of brief but quickly abandoned attempts or just outright lip service, in 20 odd years. Its not like they're truly giving Bendis the cornerstone foundation of the DCU for there to even be a realistic fear of him knocking it down. He's not arriving at anything solid; its still very much an unstable franchise.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 03-11-2018 at 12:14 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    To be fair, Superman hasn't truly been treated as the cornerstone of the DC, outside of brief but quickly abandoned attempts or just outright lip service, in 20 odd years. Its not like they're truly giving Bendis the cornerstone foundation of the DCU for there to even be a realistic fear of him knocking it down. He's not arriving at anything solid; its still very much an unstable franchise.
    I've been in the mood lately to compare the last two years to what happened with Spider-Man post-Clone Saga, just prior to Howard Mackie and John Byrne gaining power over the two major Spidey books. It was a very well regarded run, kept everything stable, and hinted at some bigger things (DeFalco wanted to close out this era with Peter and MJ becoming parents), but Mackie and Byrne threw any previous plans out of the window when they took over, tinkered with the origin, caused unnecessary relationship drama and it was a complete disaster

I can't disagree. You know how I feel about the Rebirth run but that's personal. Relaunching again can't be seen as anything but more chaos for the Superman line, as I've noted elsewhere. I can't be a hypocrite about it, when it seemed Doomsday Clock would be the place where changes would be made by virtue of Geoff Johns, I was very vocal about the poor precedent that would set so soon after Reborn. I have to point out the same now, even if now it seems like said changes will be more my cup just because I wasn't a fan of what came before and the guy running the show isn't one I have any strong feelings against.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

BANNED

I can't disagree. You know how I feel about the Rebirth run but that's personal. Relaunching again can't be seen as anything but more chaos for the Superman line, as I've noted elsewhere. I can't be a hypocrite about it, when it seemed Doomsday Clock would be the place where changes would be made, I was very vocal about that. I have to point out the same now, even if now it seems like said changes will be more my cup just because I wasn't a fan of what came before.
    I hope you get some enjoyment out of it. I want to too, my main concern is Bendis having a liplock on both books, Jon's spotlight book being taken from him, and the potential relationship drama. If Bendis can write the latter well, and that Jon is'nt lost in the shuffle, then I should be ok with everything else as a lot of what ticks people off about Bendis has rarely if ever affected me emotionally or mentally.

At some point the character does need stability though and like I said in the other Bendis thread, I'm just not counting on that anymore. This seems to be the lot for Superman fans; a few years of a status quo then a major revamp. Good news or bad news in the short term depending on what fans felt about the status quo on the way out, but bad news all the time when stepping back and looking at the big picture.

I mean damn, look at this cover date. http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Superman_Vol_2_200 This was when the line was first blurred between distinct origins for the quote unquote modern Superman. And its NEVER been steady again for any significant length of time. 14 years. That's just staggering.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 03-11-2018 at 12:31 PM.

It's going to get worse. Not even getting into character use and decisions of how characters should act, Bendis is just a terrible comic book writer. His plots meander and just kind of go nowhere or even just are completely dropped, his characters all speak in the exact same snarky and wordy way, and his pacing is some of the worst i've ever read. If you thought Jurgen's start on Action Comics after the relaunch was slow you are in for a rude awakening...

Astonishing Member

In mythos he's hugely important I feel, which I was more getting at

But I do feel he's one of their 5 big book names still, bats, Diana, flash, laters, him

And of course the team books they inhabit

And more importantly I do feel outside of comic fans, in spite of all the characters in movies, he's still one if the big names people think of when they think of superheroes

but I take your point, I just think it's a risk is all

I hope it works