Thread: Oblivion Song

Default Oblivion Song

Kirkman's newest comic hit the stands and it's pretty darn good. The first issues set up the bifurcated worlds the story takes place in and gives us a good sense of the characters.
    The art by De Felici is excellent, especially when he is showing us the alternative earth over run by weird creatures.
    I picked up the first issue just just to check it out, but i am definitely staying with it.
    Anybody else read it?
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Have to agree with you, this book was certainly a surprise for me. Given that it was Kirkman I mainly picked it up, in hopes that one day it might be valuable but had almost zero interest in it. I actually decided to read it and it was fantastic. The art was amazing and I will certainly be adding this to my pull list going forward.
    "You know, there are some words I've known since I was a schoolboy: "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.. The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged"- CAPT. Picard

Got it immediately, and loved the first issue! Good world-building, which I think is key...especially for a new, unestablished world and comic universe.

I picked it up and read it and liked it quite a bit, but as I do with many Image series, I pick up first issues to sample then trade wait on the rest if I like it, and will be doing the same here. I just find a lot of series read better by volume than by issue, and this one seems like it will follow that path.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

All-New Member

I, too, enjoyed reading the first two issues. But it did take some time for me to get used to the artwork.

Astonishing Member

I like that things are moving at a nice pace so that some of the initial mysteries have already been explained (at least apparently!). Too many new comics get so involved with world-building that after 3 or 4 issues you just get more and more baffled about the convoluted backstory, not less.

Got issue 2 and it's starting to interest me more.

Very promising new series.

Fantastic Member

Just sat down and read the first 3 issues . Enjoyed the story . I agree FozzyBadfeet might take some time to get used to the art .

Yeah the art isn't great but the story keeps me coming back. And this issue even the art had some moments where I was like damn that's great.
    Stick "we work together and we get out of here alive"

Matt "peace out suckas"

I am mixed about the art. I don't like how de Felci draws faces. On the other hand, the world of Oblivion with all the weird creatures is really well done.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Incredible Member

art kind of reminds me of daniel clowes in a way. I like the way he draws the city and monsters - does a great job there - and his people are always very stable panel to panel - there's never an off-panel - they are just quite unusual.

i found the book ok - really liked first issue, second issue felt like next to nothing happened, but third issue drew me back in. Definitely worth sticking with in my opinion

I'm slowly coming around on the art.
    Stick "we work together and we get out of here alive"

Matt "peace out suckas"

Astonishing Member

I enjoy the art. Those are some fantastic and fierce-looking critters on the other side of the barrier. This new issue seemed a bit slow-paced, though, in that it really didn't move the story forward very much. I suspect that will change in the next issue, though, given the way this one ended.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
    I'm slowly coming around on the art.
    Just read issue four , art starting to grow on me . Must just be getting used to it now .