Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Kristen Wiig will be the DCEU's Cheetah

What do you think of the casting?

Truthfully?

I don't hate it.

Can't say I love it, but it feels like a legitimate choice. At least so far. We have no idea what kind of Cheetah she will be. I hear she will play Barbara Minerva, but Wiig seems more readily Priscilla Rich to me.

Who knows? They may even merge various aspects of the Cheetah across generations for her portrayal.

What do you think of the casting?

And if Wiig wasn't one of your own top choices for the role, who instead would you have preferred to be mixing it up with Gal Gadot in WONDER WOMAN 2? I can't think of one right now, but give me a moment ...

Initially, I thought Clea Duvall would be perfect. Then I heard Sarah Paulson wanted it, and thought that’d be great. Someone suggested a POC, and Thandie Newton was who I wanted for a minute. Now I’m confident Wiig will do great.

I have faith in Patty.

Cheetah needs layers of vulnerability, victimization, envy, pride, intelligence, eccentricity, and lots and lots of malice when it’s unleashed. Wiig’s malice is shocking, I’m ready for it.

Factoring in the times that seemingly "Iffy" castings yielded brilliant performances*, I'll just wait for the results of the casting.

*Making an obvious exception for AMC's Preacher. That show no longer gets the benefit of the doubt.

Fantastic Member VonHammersmark's Avatar

My pick was Naomie Harris because I was really impressed by her in Moonlight, she's english and I think she has the range to play Cheetah with all the layers the above user mentioned. But I also like Kristen Wiig, I wouldn't have thought of her and was a little bit taken aback when I read the news but I'm confident she can bring depth to the character as well. I'm dying to see concept art

Kristen is a great actresss! I think she will be a great B. Minerva

I'm fine with it after thinking about it. Only thing that threw me at first was that she's primarily a comedienne. But, lots of comedians can do serious, so we'll see if she can do the same. And appearance-wise, seeing her with long dark hair greatly helps imagining her in the role.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

BANNED

I'm fine with her.

Plus her Cheetah costume will probably look a lot like this:

Incredible Member

I’ve already said a fair bit on the subject. I do like what someone else mentioned on one of the other threads - by casting Kirsten Wiig the impression they’re giving is that Barbara (or Priscilla) will be a distinct and sympathetic character in comparison to the Cheetah and that the “villain” should therefore get an interesting storyline as it will follow the descent / ascent (?) of a human woman into that of an avatar of a god.

And I look forward to being able to buy plenty of Wonder Woman and Cheetah toys! I hope that Cheetah has an awesome, scary and faithful character design, but one which isn’t too reliant on CGI.

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    Cheetah needs layers of vulnerability, victimization, envy, pride, intelligence, eccentricity, and lots and lots of malice when it’s unleashed. Wiig’s malice is shocking, I’m ready for it.
    Sorry, I just know her from SNL and BRIDESMAIDS. What malice of hers are you referring to here?

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

having looked over her IMDB listing, it appears the only things I have watched with her in a role has been the How To Train Your Dragon and Despicable Me movies! hahaha. Seems I need to invest in some other movies or shows!

I did not see this coming, but on the other hand, it could work. But I want to see a serious Cheetah, not a comedic Cheetah.

I am very curious. Its a strange choice. But i am cool with it. Patty Jenkins is enthusiastic. She must have seen something in her to be so.

I mourned it not being my fancast of Emily Blunt for about three minutes, but I can accept new versions of the Cheetah as I have multiple times already.

I trust Jenkins, Gadot, and Wiig - it's the "right" thing for me to do. Here's hoping for a great incarnation of Barbara Minerva!

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    I did not see this coming, but on the other hand, it could work. But I want to see a serious Cheetah, not a comedic Cheetah.
    This.

The last thing that Wonder Woman needs is for one of the top members of her rogues gallery to be portrayed as a joke to a mainstream audience who this will most likely be their very first exposure to the character.

I can see Wiig embodying the Rebirth Ruckaian Barbara Minerva - the Post-Crisis Perezian Barbara Minerva, not so much.

I had some sympathy for the Perezian Cheetah, but my guess is they're going for the ultra-sympathetic Ruckaian version.

My greatest concern is the same I have with all movies, how the actor will do with the acting for mocap transformation into the CGI character and how good the animators will render that version so it's lifelike and feels like it has weight.

Considering Diana has remained hidden, more or less, in the DCEU since her arrival in Patriarch's World and until BvS, it'll be interesting to see how the tragedy of Barbara Minerva (however that plays out) affects Diana's decision to continue to stay on the down low, like she decided to do after Steve. I'm also interested to see if the overarching narrative of losing her first love (movie 1) and then losing (what I assume will be) a close friend to Urzkartaga (or however they origin-ize the Cheetah in movie 2) will play out over the course of the Wonder Woman trilogy and feed into how she's portrayed in BvS (desiring to keep her identity a secret) and Justice League (reticent to lead and be responsible for putting others in the path of danger.)