Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ptrvc View Post
    Wasn't he 'posing' as Thor while the real Thor was dead or something?

Its a bit different when the guy is still alive and walking around.
    More than that. Thor actually bonded body/soul with him. So it was not Eric Masterson "posing" as Thor. It was Thor, himself.

And Storm did not lift Mjolnir. She held Loki's pale immitation and willed it to be destroyed.
    Last edited by MyriVerse; 07-18-2014 at 11:37 AM.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

BANNED

Eric and Thor were merged for a couple of years, but for the two years after that, he did pose as Thor (at Thor's request if I recall correctly).

All-New Member

I got to see Matt Fraction interview Walt Simonson at Heroes Con a couple years ago. Most of the talk ended up being about Alien. But Walt got to talking about who is worthy to wield the hammer, and he's got a very different perspective from the usual line. In his mind, the hammer is a weapon with a purpose, and that purpose is killing Frost Giants. Therefore, to be truly worthy of it, you have to be prepared to kill, and any hero with a code again killing, including Captain America and Superman, shouldn't be able to lift it ("Sorry, Kurt Busiek!" he added at the end). Wonder Woman could still use it under Walt's rules, though.

BANNED

It annoys me when you get a writer who would argue something like the idea that Cap or Supes shouldn't be worthy of wielding the hammer despite that they already have based on the established rules for wielding it.

Making it all about Frost Giants would be fine in an Elseworlds story, but I hope to never see such a story in the primary universe's storytelling unless it's post-reboot.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by spacedewey View Post
    I got to see Matt Fraction interview Walt Simonson at Heroes Con a couple years ago. Most of the talk ended up being about Alien. But Walt got to talking about who is worthy to wield the hammer, and he's got a very different perspective from the usual line. In his mind, the hammer is a weapon with a purpose, and that purpose is killing Frost Giants. Therefore, to be truly worthy of it, you have to be prepared to kill, and any hero with a code again killing, including Captain America and Superman, shouldn't be able to lift it ("Sorry, Kurt Busiek!" he added at the end). Wonder Woman could still use it under Walt's rules, though.
    But lets not pretend that Cap has never killed anyone. He has, and not just in WWII. Heck, theoretically he's responsible for the deaths of unknown numbers of Builders in the Infinity Event. He would just prefer not to kill given the choice. He kills as a soldier, not like someone say for example Logan.

Spectacular Member Gladiator7117's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    I mentioned it elsewhere, maybe she presumes to use the name "Thor" whether Thor himself or the All-Mother approves or not. In other words, she may not care what others think.
    I'm going more from Jason Aaron states something to the like "she is Thor" in the article. Your explanation is an explanation at least. It's like X-23 taking over for dead Wolverine and the author stating "she is James/Logan;" his actual name. Just curious though.

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MyriVerse View Post
    More than that. Thor actually bonded body/soul with him. So it was not Eric Masterson "posing" as Thor. It was Thor, himself.

And Storm did not lift Mjolnir. She held Loki's pale immitation and willed it to be destroyed.
    Yes she did

Quote Originally Posted by Daymare View Post
    Currently Jane has a lack of hair due to her treatments though and she was against any magic healing her so I do not know if they would make the obvious choice in her. Roz would be another overly obvious choice and the RD picture is the only one wearing her "shade" so far.
    I almost wonder if the helmet just has a built in weave or piece to it. If the woman transforms body-wise you would not think she would need a mask to hide her identity. I really do not care for the fact we will not know who the person is and this will be a part of the ongoing saga, for me I need to know who is behind the mask sooner than later to invest in the character.

There are some issues with the characters in this article though. Some of them never held the hammer "proper". Storm only used the hammer, still in Thor's hand to break her hammer, Thor girl had her own version. Not saying they would not have been worthy but they have not technically weilded the hammer on their own.
    What do you mean by proper? The inscription says "He who holds this hammer, if he is worthy shall possess the power of Thor." There is nothing that states that the weilder must hold it alone for them to possess the power or to be considered worthy. What we do know is if the weilder is not worthy said person would not be able to lift or move the hammer. Storm however lifted the hammer and demonstrated she was in fact worthy. Though the hammer was in thors possession, she grabbed hold of its handle, lifted it, and pulled it down to crush stormcaster. Storm, if not worthy, should not been able to do any of that which is evident by Thor's expression of surprise when he said "what" as she was lifting mjolnir. See previous scan.
    Last edited by butterflykyss; 07-18-2014 at 06:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    Yes she did

What do you mean by proper? The inscription says "He who holds this hammer, if he is worthy shall possess the power of Thor." There is nothing that states that the weilder must hold it alone for them to possess the power or to be considered worthy. What we do know is if the weilder is not worthy said person would not be able to lift or move the hammer. Storm however lifted the hammer and demonstrated she was in fact worthy. Though the hammer was in thors possession, she grabbed hold of its handle, lifted it, and pulled it down to crush stormcaster. Storm, if not worthy, should not been able to do any of that which is evident by Thor's expression of surprise when he said "what" as she was lifting mjolnir. See previous scan.
    Yes, Storm is worthy! Yeah, women are worthy.

"Before the fight began, Wonder Woman found Mjolnir, lifting it and transforming into an Asgardian/Grecian mash-up for the ages. It was awesome, though all too brief, as Wonder Woman decided it wouldn't be fair to take on Storm with such an advantage."
    So... Wonder Woman’s standards are higher than Mjolnir’s.

I want Wonder Woman/Storm crossover team up now. Two Goddesses are better than One

I remember thinking a while back that THIS is the direction they should have gone after Avengers Disassembled... Back when Thor broke Ragnarok and ended the cycle...

A lot of people were upset that he actually came back and restarted the same thing again...thus negating a fan favorite story.

It occurred to me that what would have been a LOT of fun, would be to go back to the Masterson route... Find someone else who was worthy to wield the power. Back to the 'ordinary joe with the power of a god'... It's been done, but what hasn't been...

Then they could have kept the real Thor in limbo for a few extra years...

Astonishing Member PretenderNX01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by spacedewey View Post
    and any hero with a code again killing, including Captain America and Superman, shouldn't be able to lift it ("Sorry, Kurt Busiek!" he added at the end).
    What if Supes is willing to neck-snap a Frost Giant?

Quote Originally Posted by MyriVerse View Post
    Masterson took over when Thor was banished. Part of Thor's essence was still inside him, but most of Masterson's run was about 'searching' for the Real Thor... He didn't have any of Thor's memories/personality/experience at that point. He was simply 'Masterson, wielding the power of Thor'

Sooooo yeah, at least in the beginning of his solo run (Infinity Gauntlet era), he was 'posing' as Thor and using Thor's name.. then it came out he was a replacement Thor, but the name still stuck.

It's interesting how at the time, I couldn't wait for the REAL Thor to come back... but looking back, I REALLY enjoyed that era. I was kind of hoping they would go and try another 'mortal with the power of a god' spin on Thor...

Fantastic Member Alpha to Omega's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    Yes she did

That's not truly wielding the hammer since Thor is still holding it the entire time.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rage.Of.Olympus View Post
    On my phone and so I only just skimmed the article but Red Norvell, Thor Girl, Puddlegup and Storm were never Worthy of Mjolnir.
    Actually, Red was worthy. He wasn't when he first wielded the hammer, but sacrificing yourself to save Asgard earns you a lot of brownie points in the worthiness stakes.

Someone else being "worthy" of Thor's hammer is one of those Big Moments that should never actually come to pass. But fans get to be writers and they want to do it, and the creative (or editorial) discipline required to say no clearly left the building long, long ago.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha to Omega View Post
    That's not truly wielding the hammer since Thor is still holding it the entire time.
    Storm may have not wield the power but Storm was lifting Thor's hammer. She was holding the hammer and used it to destroy her stormcaster.