Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by neonrideraryeh View Post
    It seems fairly obvious from the Storm panel that Thor was holding it at the time and she was just wrapping her own hand around it too. So unless somebody has another panel that can definitively show her worthiness, it's still up in the air. She could be worthy, since she is a hammy character and so is Thor haha. It seems to me that we are seeing high levels of Storm favouritism that overrates the character and adds bias to the posts. I'm pretty sure the other day I saw somebody say that she was a-list on the level of Spider-Man which is hilarious.

Anyway on the topic of those who have been worthy. Since Jane Foster was worthy in a What-If, do you guys think that she would be worthy in 616 too?
    I can't speak for all Storm fans obviously but honestly I could care less if she is worthy to wield the hammer or not. Based on my knowledge at the time I was under the impression that she did lift the hammer which demonstrates she is worthy. I am not the only one to conclude this as it is featured in the linked cbr article and listed in many wikis regarding the same subject. So if you are concluding that all of these sources are skewed due to storm favoritism I would implore you to reevaluate your own biases. You see I don't care for thor or thor's mythos as I find it boring. Additionally outside of this Storm has shown more impressive showings than being worthy or not worthy of weilding the power of mjolinir in my opinion (channelling the power of a million stars through her body at the galactic core, hosting the essence of Eternity, fighting death and standing up against Bast). That said, clearly as weather god demonstrated the showings are inconsistent. There are many thor fans who would even argue that Rulk should have never been able to do any of those things and it was a result of bad writing (even with breevoot's explanation). So bottom line its left to the reader's interpretation as its not explicitly stated, but I stand by my initial assessment that Guggenheim was trying to show she was in fact worthy to wields its power and the author of the cbr article appears to agree with that conclusion as well.
    Last edited by butterflykyss; 07-20-2014 at 12:04 PM.

BANNED

How is there even a debate about whether the comic was showing that Storm was worthy to wield the hammer? The inscription occupied an entire panel! The writer (and artist) are implicitly calling your attention to the topic of worthiness as Storm lifts the hammer.

Jesus, people, this is Visual Storytelling 101. The stuff "on screen" is being focused on for a reason -- particularly if it occupies the entire frame.

The Red Hulk thing isn't remotely similar because Waid has Red Hulk verify that he's working his way around the enchantment even as he's doing it.
    Last edited by TresDias; 07-20-2014 at 01:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    It would be cool to see T'Challa using the hammer for a while.
    For What!?
    The Black Panther already has The Spear of Bashenga.
    That all the Godly power we (Wakandans) need.

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TresDias View Post
    How is there even a debate about whether the comic was showing that Storm was worthy to wield the hammer? The inscription occupied an entire panel! The writer (and artist) are implicitly calling your attention to the topic of worthiness as Storm lifts the hammer.

Jesus, people, this is Visual Storytelling 101. The stuff "on screen" is being focused on for a reason -- particularly if it occupies the entire frame.

The Red Hulk thing isn't remotely similar because Waid has Red Hulk verify that he's working his way around the enchantment even as he's doing it.
    Oh my goodness thank you and YESSSSSSSSSS TO THE BOLDED! I thought I was in the twilight zone with how some were interpreting those scans. Lol
    Last edited by butterflykyss; 07-20-2014 at 02:15 PM.

-- and if Cage picked it up for some smashing that would be cool.

BANNED

Ok, back on topic because this is becoming a typical thread whenever certain characters come up
    Does anyone know what makes someone "worthy"? I adore Thor as a true Marvel god/goddess but i do not know whst it would take to be worthy. Odinson is not the most moral or likeable character so there must be something that the All-father now All-Mother have determined to be considered "worthy". If it is not true divinity, pure of heart, any straight purity reasons it would be interesting to see. It it based on the individual and subjective worthiness.
    What females in his life currently would have the "worthy"? Based on issue 24 and the All-Mother's threat of finding someone new to carry the hammer it seems she would prefer someone as tied to Earth as much as Asgard.
    No matter who it may be, I am excited for the change. I do hope the new lady is a little more thick and brawny than the way she looks in the Pichelli promo, almost a Ross Campbell Glory size (won't happen, I know.

All-New Member

Contrary to this story's title, Storm did not use Thor's hammer. She used the one Loki had created for her. The text itself indicates this, though it names her hammer Stormcaster. In fact, her hammer was not referred to by any name in that comic (though I haven't read "To Serve and Protect"--was it named in that comic?). Also, she did not " already possess the mutant ability to command the awesome power of thunder and lightning", because at that point, her powers had been erased by Henry Peter Gyrich, wielding Forge's power erasure weapon. Her desire to regain her lost powers was the precise trait upon which Loki hinged his Svengali-like ploy to win her as his ally.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Luigi Novi View Post
    Contrary to this story's title, Storm did not use Thor's hammer. She used the one Loki had created for her. The text itself indicates this, though it names her hammer Stormcaster. In fact, her hammer was not referred to by any name in that comic (though I haven't read "To Serve and Protect"--was it named in that comic?). Also, she did not " already possess the mutant ability to command the awesome power of thunder and lightning", because at that point, her powers had been erased by Henry Peter Gyrich, wielding Forge's power erasure weapon. Her desire to regain her lost powers was the precise trait upon which Loki hinged his Svengali-like ploy to win her as his ally.
    in xmen to serve abd protect, yes it was the stormcaster.

Spectacular Member

I think the real problem is that Marvel keeps going back to this storyline. When Simonson did it, it was original and it was handled incredibly well (like his entire run). Since then it's been pretty much a rehash and ruins the book more than it helps it. I tend to side with Simonson's view of "worthiness" simply because he was so successful in presenting the character of Thor during his run on the book. I'd say that few others, with the exception of the original team of Lee and Kirby, have ever done such a job with the character.

I recall Wonder Woman picking it up and I think, if anyone can, she would be a good choice and fit the criteria (going by Simonson's explanation). Beyond that, I think most characters should not be allowed to pick it up, certainly not "everyday" mortals. Just my thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by pugbuddy View Post
    I think the real problem is that Marvel keeps going back to this storyline. When Simonson did it, it was original and it was handled incredibly well (like his entire run). Since then it's been pretty much a rehash and ruins the book more than it helps it. I tend to side with Simonson's view of "worthiness" simply because he was so successful in presenting the character of Thor during his run on the book. I'd say that few others, with the exception of the original team of Lee and Kirby, have ever done such a job with the character.
    The thing I've always found interesting about the first instance, where Simonson had Bill handle the power, Bill didn't pick up the hammer. Bill lifted the cane and underwent the transformation process. He was transformed into Thor, and subsequent events within that story have made it so that he can still life Mjolnir if he were needed to.

We see this similarly in the What If? Jane Foster story. One could argue that Jane Foster is not worthy and wouldn't be able to life the hammer, but that's okay, because she gets transformed into Thor.

I think it's a loophole in the system. One that's not present any longer, mind you, since he's Thor all the time. And I certainly like Busiek's take of "momentary worthiness" in which the character currently acting under conditions the hammer knows are worthy (world/universe are peril that Thor himself is caught up in) may be able to lift the hammer. This may also be the category Storm fell into, given the somewhat ambiguous nature of those panels--she was able to lift the hammer without Thor's consent, but didn't gain his power, and we don't know if she could lift it alone.

Eric's a strange case in general.

Which I think means on-panel, we have only two characters who have very clearly shown the ability to lift the hammer and transform--Throg and Wonder Woman. The former using a sliver of Mjolnir and the latter lifting the whole thing.