Fantastic Member

Default Doomsday Clock: Carver Colman

Since Doomsday Clock #3, I've spent more time than I care to admit puzzling over the Nathaniel Dusk subplots, trying to piece together the role they play in the main story. I'm not sure that all the pieces have fallen as much into place as I would like, but I have sorted out my thoughts on Carver Colman, the actor who plays a movie detective, to a state that I feel is worthwhile, and I've linked to those thoughts, below.

http://rikdad.blogspot.com/2019/05/d...er-colman.html

Pending for next time, the somewhat more mysterious question of what the plot of Colman's film The Adjournment means for Doomsday Clock as a whole. Answering that question may just build upon the foundation laid here involving Colman the man rather than Dusk the character.

Thoughts, as always, eagerly welcomed.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I had assumed the relative absence of the Flash in this story meant Barry Allen and Wally West wouldn’t play key roles in this story beyond what we've already seen, but this has me thinking that I was mistaken.

The hints laid out in DC Rebirth back in June of 2016 seem a lot more significant now.

It might also explain why Doomsday Clock has been delayed until Heroes in Crisis finishes.

Excellent analysis, Rikdad, as always.

Fantastic Member

Thank you, BA3:00. I don't think the visual similarity is a coincidence. Then again, it isn't binding in any way regarding the facts. (We also aren't likely to see Veidt literally manipulating marionettes.)

The heavy use of Wally West in both stories is indeed strange, and probably not part of anyone's original design.

The fact that Luthor name-checked West recently raised my eyebrow. He could have paid attention to other things, but West stood out to him.

There are few things I love more than a nerdy deep dive into a comic. You are a National (Comics) treasure, Rikdad.

Apropos of Doomsday Clock, I was re-reading the first issue yesterday, and was struck by how much import Johns had given to the death of the Kents in that issue. I mean, the only pages in the opening salvo of the DCU/Watchmen crossover dedicated to the DCU is this relatively minor bit of DC lore. I think it's important.

1) Presuming that their untimely death is an effect (intentional or otherwise) of Dr. Manhattan's meddling, what are the odds that Manhattan's vision of "angry Supes" is somehow tied up with the Kents' death?
    2) If it is, do you think Johns is self-consciously re-treading his "villain mucks with time and kills a hero's parents" ground, or is this just a note that Johns likes to play?

Extraordinary Member

That sure was an interesting read, Rikdad. Thanks so much for sharing it with us.

Wow. Thanks, Rikdad! You should be getting paid for this. You're great at it.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by ducklord View Post
    There are few things I love more than a nerdy deep dive into a comic. You are a National (Comics) treasure, Rikdad.

Apropos of Doomsday Clock, I was re-reading the first issue yesterday, and was struck by how much import Johns had given to the death of the Kents in that issue. I mean, the only pages in the opening salvo of the DCU/Watchmen crossover dedicated to the DCU is this relatively minor bit of DC lore. I think it's important.

1) Presuming that their untimely death is an effect (intentional or otherwise) of Dr. Manhattan's meddling, what are the odds that Manhattan's vision of "angry Supes" is somehow tied up with the Kents' death?
    2) If it is, do you think Johns is self-consciously re-treading his "villain mucks with time and kills a hero's parents" ground, or is this just a note that Johns likes to play?
    Thank you, ducklord. This Colman/Dusk thing – particularly the Dusk plot – surely invites a deep, deep dive.

I think it's extremely likely that the Kents' death will inspire Superman's rage, just as you said. The world being shattered and broken also seems like a key motivator, but that may be the result of a battle between them in progress.

As I've mentioned in my previous breakdowns, I seriously hope that Johns is not replaying Infinite Crisis or, as you suggest, Flash Rebirth. The fact that Superman, Wonder Woman, and Batman have been set on a stage (Earth) while the rest of the superheroes are elsewhere (Mars) feels like a re-tread, and Veidt's "I have a plan!" panel makes me wary. Let's see where Johns goes from here!

Fantastic Member

Thanks so much, caj and BatmanJones. This has been a series full of serious substance and it's a pleasure to share the journey.

Astonishing Member failo.legendkiller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rikdad View Post
    Thank you, BA3:00. I don't think the visual similarity is a coincidence. Then again, it isn't binding in any way regarding the facts. (We also aren't likely to see Veidt literally manipulating marionettes.)

The heavy use of Wally West in both stories is indeed strange, and probably not part of anyone's original design.

The fact that Luthor name-checked West recently raised my eyebrow. He could have paid attention to other things, but West stood out to him.
    Obviously I’m missing something but I can’t understand the link between Wally events in HIC and what happens in Doomsday Clock
    Last edited by failo.legendkiller; 05-10-2019 at 03:18 AM.

BANNED

well perhaps this panel serves as a link.

note how the character refers to the big twist of one of the dead guys turning out to be the killer.

Astonishing Member failo.legendkiller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by theoneandonly View Post
    well perhaps this panel serves as a link.

note how the character refers to the big twist of one of the dead guys turning out to be the killer.
    Oh thanks ��
    I need to read again all the old issues, especially the Carver Colman plot cause I haven’t paid the right attention to it.

BANNED

you are welcome

Astonishing Member Tazpocalapse's Avatar

Very informative and brings sheds some light on the sub plot. I was wondering could perhaps Dr. Manhattan had entered this timeline and possible decided to play a actor in the film itself and possibly somehow relate to the story?