Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Lightbulb Namor The Submariner Asian?

Every time I think of Namor The Submariner, I always picture Japan. Idk why but do you guys think it'll be weird for an Asain actor playing him if he ever gets a solo film? I feel like it'll be kind of cool. Marvel & Disney could make something similar to Black Panther but in Asia. It'll be pretty cool & the avengers would be more international.
    namor-165756.jpg

The character isn't Asian - his father's white, and his mother is blue, and he's from the wrong ocean - but there's no reason an Asian (or Asian-descent) actor couldn't be cast in the role. I might personally be inclined to go with either Caribbean or Latin-American, to go with the whole Atlantic thing. Plus, with Jason Momoa playing Aquaman, going with a different ethnicity might differentiate them better.

But that's just what I'd do. Like I said, Asian/Asian-descent would be just fine, too. The least-interesting way to go would be white, so I'm up for basically anything else.

I would note that an Asian playing Namor still wouldn't make Namor Asian. Because, again, completely opposite side of the world. Atlantis isn't in Asia, and it's never been coded as having any particular Asian influences. (I mean, the whole idea comes from a Greek philosophical text. Atlantis is and always has been a white people myth.)

If we're looking for an Asian equivalent of Black Panther, well, it's tough. Marvel's never had that many Asian or Asian-descent characters, especially outside the X-Men. There's Shang-Chi, and he'd definitely be cool for a movie. Big Hero 6, but they already had the animated film, so they're probably out of the running for live-action. Mantis, but she's already an alien in the movies. Jimmy Woo, but he's primarily part of an ensemble. Not that an Agents of Atlas movie wouldn't be great - there's a gun-toting wise-cracking gorilla - but I don't think it's quite what you're going for here.

An additional complication is: Where in Asia would a Black Panther-style film be set? One of the things that made Black Panther so powerful was its use of African culture and aesthetics to create what felt like a real African country. What fictional Asian country would the MCU be able to use that could be similar?

It's tough. But I hope there's some amazing filmmaker of Asian descent who's already working to get that film made.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    An additional complication is: Where in Asia would a Black Panther-style film be set? One of the things that made Black Panther so powerful was its use of African culture and aesthetics to create what felt like a real African country. What fictional Asian country would the MCU be able to use that could be similar?
    Madripor is the only fictional Asian country that springs to mind in the MU, though hidden cities like the 7 Capital Cities of Heaven exist (though the inhabitants may extra-terrestrial in origin, and not necessarily Asian in appearance depending on the artist), and Kamar-Taj from Doctor Strange.

He's not Asian, but as @Tiamatty has said an Asian actor portraying him in the MCU would be cool.

Giving Atlantis a distinct look and culture by using elements from different Asian cultures (as well as some western ones) and employing an Asian director, similarly to what Black Panther did, would be really cool. It would bring a unique aesthetic and culture to Atlantis.
    Last edited by Crimz; 04-17-2018 at 02:19 AM.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    He's not Asian, but as @Tiamatty has said an Asian actor portraying him in the MCU would be cool.

Giving Atlantis a distinct look and culture by using elements from different Asian cultures (as well as some western ones) and employing an Asian director, similarly to what Black Panther did, would be really cool. It would bring a unique aesthetic and culture to Atlantis.
    Quoted in agreement.

Extraordinary Member

Marvel comics has many asian characters.
    A certain amount is use at a time in marvel comics like other marvel characters.
    Last edited by mace11; 04-17-2018 at 03:05 AM.

I reckon Daniel dae Kim would be an awesome Namor. There’s no reason why he can’t be atlantean and Asian

And so, Marvel studio would be able to say:
    "Look, we have an asian character, here's your quota. No need for Amadeus Cho or Turbo anymore!"

Incredible Member

His name is Mackenzie. Not sure why anyone would think he's Asian.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Silvermoth View Post
    I reckon Daniel dae Kim would be an awesome Namor. There’s no reason why he can’t be atlantean and Asian
    Daniel Dae Kim's 5-0 co-star Alex O'loughlin would be a better choice imo.

Quote Originally Posted by stingray View Post
    His name is Mackenzie. Not sure why anyone would think he's Asian.
    My last name is McKinnis. I'm not Scotch-Irish.

The Atlantaen people could be phenotypically Asian and borrow aesthetically from various east Asian cultures similarly to what they did for Wakanda in Black Panther.

Or you know it's 2018, Captain Mackenzie might have been biracial and identified as Asian-American.
    Last edited by KOSLOX; 04-17-2018 at 08:04 AM.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

In the X-treme X-men book a few years back there was a japanese namor serving the Emperor in WW2.
    http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Namor_M..._(Earth-13410)

There are alot of asian characters Marvel (and DC) could give the leg up to but they are untapped potential. They are good concepts but you are gonna have to build them up from scratch and take a chance on them.

There isn't a straight Asian parallel to Black Panther outside of the Immortal Weapons but they are pretty flat as characters to me.

Extraordinary Member

"Look, we have an asian character, here's your quota. No need for Amadeus Cho or Turbo anymore!"
    There is black turbo as well.
    By the way there is black namor in one of marvel alternate universes.

http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Namor_(Earth-6706)

Extraordinary Member

Anyway if namor comes to mcu or another live action marvel universe(tv/streaming or movies)they might make him of east asian origin.
    Last edited by mace11; 04-17-2018 at 10:14 AM.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

I'm pretty sure Namor's parents are Ariel and the Prince from The Little Mermaid.