Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    I like the varient. I would love to see Amanda Conner draw a Plastic Man mini series.
    It's too bad Amanda Conner doesn't do interiors anymore .

BANNED

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Assam View Post
    Yeah, I'm not a Plastic Man fan...at all. So even though I love Gail Simone, I was planning on skipping this. But then I read the preview, which was pretty excellent. So I might pick this up today.
    Currently Reading:

DC: The Flash, Challenge of the Super Sons, Nightwing

Image: Lazarus: Risen, The Old Guard, Black Magick

Boom: Mighty Morphin', Power Rangers

Fantastic Member

This was a brilliant issue. It just reinforced why I love plas but it also felt weird because I've never read him outside of a team.

I'm surprised DC allowed Gail to get away with some of this crude humor. I know it's part of his character but it was just totally unexpected from a mainstream comic and got me to chuckle on a number of occasions.

EDIT: I really hope this does well enough that he can get his own ongoing

Bad Gail! Start writing a filk song and then not finishing it! (Contains no spoilers beyond the preview and what can be found on Wikipedia regarding Jack Cole's original run.)

Amazing grace! how great thou art,
    That gave a stretch to me!
    I once was shot, my friends depart,
    Was stretched, and now I see.

The streets they taught my heart to fear,
    And stretched my fears all wrong;
    How precious did that stretch appear
    The hour I stretched along!

The stretch hath given good to me,
    Its length my life secures;
    It will my shield and portion be
    As long the stretch endures.

The stretch it came not with a bang,
    Nor with a whimper small,
    My heart it gladly sang of wang
    And kept me on the ball

I'm curious if it'll be the same Six from the New 52 run.

I actually LOL’d at a few of the jokes. Well done Gail! The issue really captured the essence of the character and reminded me why I love Plas.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Im hoping it’s a lineup more similar to the pre-Flashpoint team. The New 52 series just didn’t recapture the magic of the first run.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by soundsci View Post

I'm surprised DC allowed Gail to get away with some of this crude humor. I know it's part of his character but it was just totally unexpected from a mainstream comic and got me to chuckle on a number of occasions.
    I think DC knows Gail well enough by now that if they're bringing her on a project, they want her unique brand of crude humor.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'm going to bet it will be, both because it means getting Ralph and Eel together and because she probably still isn't able to use Bane or Deadshot.

Ideally, in addition to seeing Thomas, Ralph and Sue, Lori, Mary and Kani, we'll also get to see Scandal, Peter and Jeanette. Who knows? Maybe we'll even get to see Scandal's baby.

I'm genuinely more excited by the mere prospect of the Secret Six showing up in something than I am by nearly everything else at DC.
    Last edited by Assam; 06-13-2018 at 03:05 PM.

This was fun! Plastic Man was a favourite of mine back in the Adventure Comics days when he had a rotating feature with Starman and Aquaman. Can't wait for more!

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

MY SHOP DIDN'T GET THEIR COPIES!!!! eeeeeeeeeeEE! Shall I skip all your comments until next week?! Glad to see Odd Man (last post above mine, visible) liked it, thought it was fun. Good sign.
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

To me there is GREAT Gail Simone and there is unremarkable Gail Simone. It gives me no pleasure to report that the first issue at least was apparently written by the latter. That was a tough read. I'd really looked forward to this series.

I'm going to bet it will be, both because it means getting Ralph and Eel together and because she probably still isn't able to use Bane or Deadshot.
    If Ralph's back I'll keep reading. That first issue felt like a clunker but Ralph and/or Sue Dibny guarantees a purchase from me.

Mighty Member

This wasn't bad for a Gail Simone book, she's usually average. But this was an interesting read. I'll keep following.
    Imagine being proud to have negative traits. I can’t relate.

DC: Justice League, The Flash, Justice League Dark, Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow, Justice League Odyssey, The Terrifics, Teen Titans, Titans, Brimstone, Female Furies, Damage, Heroes In Crisis

Marvel: The Punisher, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, X-23, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Sentry

Indies: Unnatural, Jeepers Creepers, Project Superpowers, Black Hammer, Ninja-K

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I am intrigued enough to check out the next issue, but just barely. Gail Simone can be great when she's firing on all-cylinders. I'm willing to give her one more issue to keep me reading.

Between this and Terrifics, I think I'd rather just read Plas in Terrifics.

I'm actually kind of surprised at the positive reaction I'm reading in this thread. To me, Plastic Man is more a humor character than a straight super hero. Without the humor, it's not really Plastic Man (or at least not a good Plastic Man). Kyle Baker's Plastic Man (please tell me they've published that as a trade) -- that's Plastic Man. I just did not find Gail Simone's Plastic Man that funny.

And even as a straight super hero book, I didn't think it was that great. Kind of slow.

I really like Gail Simone's work on other books, so I'm sorry that this was my reaction to her Plastic Man.

Sandy Hausler