Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Fantastic Member

I was actually wondering if the Terrifics could lead to a Plastic Man solo. I would’ve preferred an ongoing but hey, I’ll take this

If Simone is writing, I'm in. Her sense of humor matches perfectly with Plas.

Not familiar with Adriana Melo's work, but the early artwork looks good.

Can't wait!

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

From the looks of the art, it looks like Plastic Man might be getting his 1940s origins restored. Good.

Given the nature of his powers, he could easily be very long lived and even his Eel O'Brien alter ego could be recontextualized as an alias used by several generations of criminals.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I guess Eel disrespected the lady and is getting a handful for it...
    expect a lot of that

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Awesome news! Gail is the perfect writer for Plas.
    Well, I doubt it will be as good as Kyle Baker's Plastic Man, but I'm on board.

Sandy Hausler

The art looks cool and I dig ol' Plas so I'm definitely checking this out.

Simone is hit or miss for me. Hopefully this is one of the "hits".
    Batman - Daredevil

Extraordinary Member

Looks good. And with Simone writing, I'm in. Here's hoping Offspring shows up.

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

I have a lot of hope for this. I've disliked many things Simone has written, but I've liked far more of them, and this one seems likely to be one of the latter. Hope so!
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

Coming this Wednesday (June 13th):

PLASTIC MAN #1
    U.S. Price: $3.99 / On Sale 6/13
    Meet Eel O’Brian: a petty thug, thief and con artist who runs a strip club. Hey, he’s also dead, at least according to the gang that tossed him out like last week’s garbage. Literally. Don’t worry, though—he bounced back from all that, and now he’s trying to make a new life for himself, but the effort is stretching him pretty thin. How can he get revenge on his old boss, keep a street kid out of trouble, make a dancer fall in love with him and stop a mysterious society from taking over the world? Eel has no idea!
    Art by: Adriana Melo
    Cover by: Aaron Lopresti
    Variant cover by: Amanda Conner
    Written by: Gail Simone
    https://www.dccomics.com/comics/plas.../plastic-man-1

I'm torn about trying this. Lopresti's cover gets me in a good mood, but Simone's writing can be too hit-or-miss for me, and I'm not sure why Eel's running a strip club?
    (Maybe things have changed a lot since I last frequented those types of places back in the last century.)

By the way, here's Amanda Conner's variant cover:

The strip club thing just seems like a re-imagining of his origins as a two-bit low-life. It makes sense to me, especially considering the way he's been written in the modern era. Dude's a little too....familiar.....with pretty girls, you know? Running a strip club seems like it's in his wheelhouse. At least before he turns his life around.

I dunno about this mini, personally. Simone is hit or miss, but I feel like she's had more misses than hits in recent years (for me, anyway). When she hits though, she's one of the best. And my wife is interested, so we'll flip through the first issue at our LCS and go from there.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Plastic Man creator Jack Cole famously drew pin-up cartoons for Playboy Magazine in the 50s, so I guess it fits that Plas get his start by running a strip club. Gail has said that the series will have the classic “bawdy” elements usually associated with the character.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Plastic Man creator Jack Cole famously drew pin-up cartoons for Playboy Magazine in the 50s, so I guess it fits that Plas get his start by running a strip club. Gail has said that the series will have the classic “bawdy” elements usually associated with the character.
    Good. Plas is a tool. Especially when it comes to women. I'd rather not see his character changed just to fit the higher degree of sensitivity and awareness today's society has about gender relations. I'm not saying I want to see Eel's actions treated as the "right" way to treat women; I fully expect him to get slapped in the face and laughed/yelled at at every turn. The way Plas treats women has often been used as a "learning moment" or "cautionary tale" and rarely (if ever) glorified. And I'm far more interested in seeing Eel adjust to different social standards than I am in seeing Eel written differently so he automatically fits into those standards. Let's see him adjust and learn and change his ways. It'll make for a better story.

I'm still working on my first cup of coffee, so maybe this post isn't making sense........
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Both those covers look good. I haven't read Simone in awhile, but this seems up her ally. I think I might check this out.

Quote Originally Posted by Slim Shady View Post
    Both those covers look good. I haven't read Simone in awhile, but this seems up her ally. I think I might check this out.
    I agree but the second one is hilarious! LMAO!
    WHO DAT?!!

I like the varient. I would love to see Amanda Conner draw a Plastic Man mini series.