Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

I liked it, most likely will get the entire mini series. Its nice to have a funny DC book, and PM is the perfect character for some levity. Funny jokes, and crazy super power that lends itself to humor, I'm in!

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Hausler View Post
    I'm actually kind of surprised at the positive reaction I'm reading in this thread. To me, Plastic Man is more a humor character than a straight super hero. Without the humor, it's not really Plastic Man (or at least not a good Plastic Man). Kyle Baker's Plastic Man (please tell me they've published that as a trade) -- that's Plastic Man. I just did not find Gail Simone's Plastic Man that funny.
    Humour is hard, and very subjective. I can really see how Simone tried to include plenty of levity into the script, and especially the dialogue, but also to keep it "nice", like non-sexist and non-homophobic. The artist have also included plenty of levity, too. And both set out to make sure to embrace the inherent silliness of the superhero genre, without being self-aware and breaking the fourth wall in pointing it out.

I didn't find it that funny (but I'm hard to please with the funny), but I did find it amusing.

Amazing Member

Appreciate all the kind words and thoughtful criticism! A few of the comments here are definitely addressed in future issues, I promise.

Man, I love Plas!

Wife loved the first issue. And I did as well. I have a real soft spot for the pulp-y stuff, with mobsters and pinstripe suits and cement shoes, and this issue really hit that note for me. It's a fitting tone for Eel, and Simone handled the character better than I thought she would. I was wondering how she'd tackle him in an era where Morrison's "Ace Ventura: Pet Detective" riff wouldn't fly. I think Simone managed to update the character without losing much in the translation, and this feels like a viable take on Eel to me. And I like the hook for the story too; it's far more ambitious than I expected and I'm curious to see how it plays out.

And the art was spot on; some of the best I saw this week.

I dunno how long I'll stick with it, but my wife and I are definitely down for at least another issue or two. If the quality stays on this level we'll definitely finish the mini. This issue exceeded my expectations and to me it feels like Simone is on her game, which is great because it's been a while since I enjoyed any of her work.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GailSimone View Post
    Appreciate all the kind words and thoughtful criticism! A few of the comments here are definitely addressed in future issues, I promise.

Man, I love Plas!
    Very nice stuff you wrote Plas liek the funny goof ball he really is.
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Did anyone read issue #2? I couldn't find a thread anywhere.

I can't say that it convinced me to continue reading. It's a shame. I like Plas and I like Gail, but this did nothing for me.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I was wondering how she'd tackle him in an era where Morrison's "Ace Ventura: Pet Detective" riff wouldn't fly. I think Simone managed to update the character without losing much in the translation, and this feels like a viable take on Eel to me. And I like the hook for the story too; it's far more ambitious than I expected and I'm curious to see how it plays out.

And the art was spot on; some of the best I saw this week.

I dunno how long I'll stick with it, but my wife and I are definitely down for at least another issue or two. If the quality stays on this level we'll definitely finish the mini. This issue exceeded my expectations and to me it feels like Simone is on her game, which is great because it's been a while since I enjoyed any of her work.

I don't know. I was looking forward to it but perhaps Plasticman will always be a Jack Cole invention, and a genius of an individual mind. The story is bumpy and needs tighter writing. It is being pushed forward with to many elements and personality changes without being flshed out and the art, while good, is overcooked at times. They need a fresh interetation on the artwork style, perhaps.

FWIW - check this out

https://colescomics.blogspot.com/200...astic-man.html

Invincible Member

It's not perfect, but I'm enjoying it. It might be a thing were I'm not as familiar with the character, but Gail seems to be writing him as almost a reluctant hero and most of the depictions I've read has Plas embracing the role.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

I'm still enjoying it.
    But then, I pretty much enjoy anything Gail Simone writes.
    And c'mon it's Plas!
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

I’ve absolutely loved this series. Gail’s sense of humor is perfect for a character like Plas.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    It's not perfect, but I'm enjoying it. It might be a thing were I'm not as familiar with the character, but Gail seems to be writing him as almost a reluctant hero and most of the depictions I've read has Plas embracing the role.
    I didn't really read him as reluctant about being a hero, more that he found that out heroing is hard and trickier than he thought. He still keeps many of his more morally flexible habits as well, and his framework for evaluating situations is still that of a crook.

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

So far, I'm only half into this iteration-- Plas is in his 'year one' phase, which in his case doesn't seem to much interest me, especially because I really enjoyed his really wacky "I can do ANYthing watch THIS!" phase with Cole and few others after him. But hey--this Plas is FAR better than no Plas, which is pretty good Plastic Man for me.
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

A preview of issue #5. Spoiler: there is a conspiracy!

https://thegww.com/plastic-man-5-exclusive-preview/