Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default The Flash #42: Comments

I've been picking this up with Wally returning and Flash War on the horizon. Barry is losing it, and in my opinion very disrespectful to the family in his actions. I thought the art was pretty bad this issue. I had previously read the two Batman crossover issues which were much better drawn.

I have not really read the Flash since before Flashpoint, but they are really going overboard with the Speed Force I think. Too much focus on it and too many characters connected to it. I did like how they said Barry understands it on a scientific level, but Wally understands it on a spiritual level. That was a nice touch.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

An interesting tact Williamson is taking here in the build up to Flash War. Thus far, Barry is being portrayed in a fairly negative light compared to Wally, who is being given extremely fawning treatment. Coupled with Wally's less than idealized depiction in the annual, I think this story could actually be an even-handed approach to both characters, with both their faults and virtues on full display.

I initially was a bit nervous about Flash War being a shameless cash grab on the Barry/Wally fan division DC itself caused, but I am now more optimistic that this might be something special.

The art looked like it was done with those crayola magic markers the size of pencils. And I mean that in the worst way possible
    Stick "we work together and we get out of here alive"

Matt "peace out suckas"

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Yeah, I agree that the quality of the art does not match the quality of the story.

It's an interesting coincidence that this story, which centers around Barry temporarily losing his superspeed, is hitting the store shelves the same week in which THE FLASH TV series also features a story in which Barry has temporarily lost his speed.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

I think the last couple of issues have shown that Willaimson just does not get Barry Allen. His Barry is selfish and is apparently "nothing without his powers". Both of these points are total BS. And it is worse than that, Williamson did with CRB and in it, he showed that the editor of the book also does not get Barry. I honestly want them both to leave the Flash.
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

- Grant Morrison on Superman

Quote Originally Posted by Deku View Post
    I think the last couple of issues have shown that Willaimson just does not get Barry Allen. His Barry is selfish and is apparently "nothing without his powers". Both of these points are total BS. And it is worse than that, Williamson did with CRB and in it, he showed that the editor of the book also does not get Barry. I honestly want them both to leave the Flash.
    I think Grodd is messing with Barry's head, and that's the reason that Barry isn't acting like himself.

I really like this story. DC have rejected Wally for too long so its nice to see him in the spotlight in a positive light. Barry’s acting like an addict, and I really liked Godspeed’s Conversation with him about how he’s sounding eerily familiar to August

Be patient as I don’t think this is truly Barry, mentally speaking. Grodd is pretty powerful.

Quote Originally Posted by FlashFreak View Post
    Be patient as I don’t think this is truly Barry, mentally speaking. Grodd is pretty powerful.
    And mind-control/manipulation IS Grodd's calling card.

Quote Originally Posted by FlashFreak View Post
    There has been no evidence to suggest that Grodd is messing with Barry's head. This is what Williamson wants Barry to be.
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

There has been no evidence to suggest that Grodd is messing with Barry's head.
    They wouldn't telegraph it like that; they're probably saving that for the final reveal.

It's a much scarier kind of mind control wherein nobody realizes he's under control as opposed to those stories wherein mind-control is depicted as known to everybody except the subject,, who is in a zombie-like trance (we saw plenty of that during the Silver Age). This might be the kind of mind control where the subject FEELS he's acting under free will, and everybody around him also believes him to be "normal," but really...he isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    They wouldn't telegraph it like that; they're probably saving that for the final reveal.

It's a much scarier kind of mind control wherein nobody realizes he's under control as opposed to those stories wherein mind-control is depicted as known to everybody except the subject,, who is in a zombie-like trance (we saw plenty of that during the Silver Age). This might be the kind of mind control where the subject FEELS he's acting under free will, and everybody around him also believes him to be "normal," but really...he isn't.

No, Grodd probably would have mentioned it when he was talking to Meena.

I don't think Williamson is doing that. It's a theory, but until we know why Barry is acting the way, he is it is most likely he is acting this way because of Williamson badly writing Barry.
    Last edited by KC; 03-15-2018 at 02:08 PM.

Fantastic Member

Grodd actually says to Barry "that voice you hear that you think is your own is Grodd's" at the beginning of issue 40.

It obviously works in the context of that scene, but it could also be a not so subtle clue about what's going on with Barry in the arc. I also wonder if there was a deeper meaning to the traces of Speed Force left in Barry beyond being a device to allow him to move around instead of being frozen.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I think Grodd is messing with Barry's head, and that's the reason that Barry isn't acting like himself.

Ding! Ding! Ding!

Quote Originally Posted by Rend20 View Post
    Grodd actually says to Barry "that voice you hear that you think is your own is Grodd's" at the beginning of issue 40.

It obviously works in the context of that scene, but it could also be a not so subtle clue about what's going on with Barry in the arc. I also wonder if there was a deeper meaning to the traces of Speed Force left in Barry beyond being a device to allow him to move around instead of being frozen.
    You are completely missing the context of what Grodd was saying to make this work. Barry could hear Grodd's voice in his head and Grodd thought that Barry thought that he could read Grodd's mind when in fact it was Grodd projecting his words into Barry's mind.

There has been no evidence so far that suggests that Williamson is writing this like Grodd is influencing Barry's mind.