Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default Movies worse than their books?

Since there is a thread about movies better than books, I wonder that there are books better than their movies.

Then I recalled a movie that wasn't good as the original book. It is called American Sniper by Chris Kyle. I both read the book and watched the film starring Bradley Cooper. Bradley Cooper did an excellent acting performance for the portrayal of Chris Kyle. But the story in the movie is rather not as good as that in the book.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

The worst film adaptation of a good book may have been Mike Myers' "The Cat in the Hat."

Peter Jackson's Hobbit movies were wretched adaptations of the book, though they might have been enjoyable to someone who had never read it.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    The worst film adaptation of a good book may have been Mike Myers' "The Cat in the Hat."

Peter Jackson's Hobbit movies were wretched adaptations of the book, though they might have been enjoyable to someone who had never read it.
    Love all of Tolkien's books, and the Hobbit was not the best adaption, but I enjoyed it still. Basically anything written by Stephen King is better then the movie version I could assemble a list, but would be a long one.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Many Stephen King movie adaptations IMHO are to some degree worse than the book.
    Examples: The Shining (Kubrick's film is great tho), Christine (ok film), Salem's Lot (Hooper's movie is really good tho), It, Pet Sematary (good film tho), The Dark Half, Needful Things, The Stand, Misery (great film tho), and others probably.

Not a single Lovecraft movie adaptation is better than the book version. Not even close.

Frankenstein, Dracula...no film version has outdone the books. (for Frankenstein, I prefer the 1818 original book version)
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 03-13-2018 at 12:58 PM.
    Thank you AMericA for votinG for chAnge.

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    Many Stephen King movie adaptations IMHO are to some degree worse than the book.
    For me, the vast majority of films based on King's books don't even scratch the surface of the source material quality wise.

I couldn't believe how disappointed I was with 'The Shining' film adaptation. It missed the point of the book so badly. Even King himself isn't keen on it.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WillieMorgan View Post
    For me, the vast majority of films based on King's books don't even scratch the surface of the source material quality wise.

I couldn't believe how disappointed I was with 'The Shining' film adaptation. It missed the point of the book so badly. Even King himself isn't keen on it.
    I agree overall. I love Kubrick's The Shining...but only IF I divorce it a bit from the book. Bravura directing of an inaccurate misleading adaptation.
    Thank you AMericA for votinG for chAnge.

Incredible Member

Frankenstein, Dracula...no film version has outdone the books. (for Frankenstein, I prefer the 1818 original book version)
    I disagree on this.

While the movies may not be faithful adaptions, I think the film adaptions just take the basic characters and concepts to make a new story that is often better than the original novel. I've found the Universal movies from the 30s and 40s much better than the original novels. The Frank Langella 1978 Dracula is one of the closer adaptions and is excellent. The Danny Boyle stage version of Frankenstein (filmed and shown in theaters) is a great story that strips down the extraneous elements of Mary Shelley's novel.

I agree overall. I love Kubrick's The Shining...but only IF I divorce it a bit from the book. Bravura directing of an inaccurate misleading adaptation.
    I applaud your ability to be able to do that. The plot of the film deviates so far from the book that I just can't take it seriously. It's elegantly shot for sure.

Even the decent King adaptations (Misery for example) I find a pale shadow of the book. Some of King's longer works to me are impossible to do justice to on screen (The Tommyknockers, IT etc). It's been years since I even bothered to watch one, I know I'll be let down.

Quote Originally Posted by WillieMorgan View Post
    I applaud your ability to be able to do that. The plot of the film deviates so far from the book that I just can't take it seriously. It's elegantly shot for sure.

Even the decent King adaptations (Misery for example) I find a pale shadow of the book. Some of King's longer works to me are impossible to do justice to on screen (The Tommyknockers, IT etc). It's been years since I even bothered to watch one, I know I'll be let down.
    I'm curious. Have you seen the TV version of The Shining, and if so, what are your thoughts on that? Also curious if you saw the recent version of It.

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    I'm curious. Have you seen the TV version of The Shining, and if so, what are your thoughts on that? Also curious if you saw the recent version of It.
    No, I haven't seen either. I'm not sure that the 'The Shining' mini-series has actually been broadcast here in the UK. Although I could be wrong about that.

I've heard it's a lot more faithful to the original book. If so, I'm pretty sure that the reason for that is the longer run-time. Perhaps you can tell me about that?

That's my main bug-bear with King movies. I'm not nave enough to believe that a novel can be faithfully replicated on screen over a couple of hours runtime, but the King adaptations often leave so much detail out that to me they're deeply unsatisfying. Of course, if other people enjoy them then I'm glad for them.

I've heard good things about 'IT' though. I think that effectively splitting the novel into two halves (the original film and it's upcoming sequel) is a really good idea. Thing is, I've got a version of that story permanently in my head through the novel and I doubt that a movie could ever be as good as that to me. Did you like it?

The Prisoner of Azkaban
    Why yes, I AM a Mark Goodson/Bill Toddman production.

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    The Prisoner of Azkaban
    I always considered 'The Order Of The Phoenix' to be the least effective Harry Potter adaptation. It's still perfectly watchable though.

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    I'm curious. Have you seen the TV version of The Shining, and if so, what are your thoughts on that?
    I thought the TV version was superior to the actual movie to be honest. I haven't seen it for some time though.

The Mouse That Roared. They took the entire concept of a very small European country and turned it into a medieval version of an Amish town.
    The Gypsies had no home. The Doors had no bass.

Does our reality determine our fiction or does our fiction determine our reality?

Whenever the question comes up about who some mysterious person is or who is behind something the answer will always be Frank Stallone.

Extraordinary Member

Well the HP movies left a lot out of them, mostly some of Ron's best moments and focused to much on Harry and Hermione, especially since the screenwriter for the 4th movie admitted to adding a bunch of new stuff and such just to give Hermione more to do...