Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome men don't lose fights View Post
    Riiight, I'm the only one who wants him gone. Like there weren't 40 page threads complaining about him being shoved in everyone's face before the wipening. Are you gaslighting me?
    You said "most Avengers readers can't stand him". Some posters on a thread aren't "most Avengers fans". If we're throwing buzzwords like "gaslighting" around, are you exhibiting confirmation bias? You don't think it's possible that since you don't like Hood you are giving more attention to opinions that match with yours?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel22 View Post
    You said "most Avengers readers can't stand him". Some posters on a thread aren't "most Avengers fans". If we're throwing buzzwords like "gaslighting" around, are you exhibiting confirmation bias? You don't think it's possible that since you don't like Hood you are giving more attention to opinions that match with yours?
    That didn't come across exactly how I meant it, let me clarify. I believe you when you say it seems to you like most avengers readers can't stand him. If you regularly visit a long thread where a number of people complain about him, of course that's how it's going to seem. What I am saying is that you personally experiencing fans that dislike Hood is not the same thing as most Avengers fans not liking Hood.

Astonishing Member Shinglepants's Avatar

No way! The Hood rocks. I'd like to see somebody else get a crack at him.

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome men don't lose fights View Post
    You're all making good points, but don't you feel like the character is just too tainted to use anymore? I get that Bendis was trying to give the Hood a rub, but the subsequent overexposure and iffy writing seems to have ruined him. Most Avengers readers can't stand him, he can't carry his own titles, and it's doubtful he'll ever make an appearance in the MCU, so why not indulge in some schadenfreude and bury the little bastard?
    I'd say Bendis did way more damage to Wanda Maximoff who's still being used. The damage to the Hood would be fairly easy to fix. Just don't write him punching above his weight class.

Bendis basically turned the Hood into a power-junkie. The problem came when he tried to turn him into a big threat to rival the Avengers, instead of keeping him as a more street level threat,

As for killing him off, it wouldn't make a difference. What Tigra did to him was a far more fitting.

I think he'd make a good Spider-Man villain. As an Avengers villain, he kinda blows.

Like many characters with potential that Bendis squandered, the Hood needs some time out of the picture (but not killed) before he can be rehabilitated into a better character again.

I like the character and would be disappointed if he ever got scrapped. He is not my favorite but a variety of bad guys makes for better stories so keep him around.

Quote Originally Posted by leokearon View Post
    Bendis basically turned the Hood into a power-junkie. The problem came when he tried to turn him into a big threat to rival the Avengers, instead of keeping him as a more street level threat,

As for killing him off, it wouldn't make a difference. What Tigra did to him was a far more fitting.
    Depends how you want to use him he could be limited to another guy who robs banks or as a leader of a faction of bad guys. The defenders left off with him creating an initiative like network of badges. That could be fun if anyone picks it up.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Why punish a character for the horrible writing? Just make the character better.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Astonishing Member chamber-music's Avatar

The Hood is fine. The character just needs some good writing.

He is fine as a street level crime syndicate boss to a bunch of C-Level or less super villains. I don't particular want to see stories about him taking on Avengers teams with the Hulk, Cap or Thor. I prefer him taking on the type of street heroes he faced in the Defenders recently. Characters like Daredevil, Daughters Of The Dragon, Luke Cage & Iron Fist and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by leokearon View Post

eh. but it required her to be beaten and possibly sexually assaulted, first. it wasn't exactly her high point.

Quote Originally Posted by pageturner View Post
    Depends how you want to use him he could be limited to another guy who robs banks or as a leader of a faction of bad guys. The defenders left off with him creating an initiative like network of badges. That could be fun if anyone picks it up.
    I think they should respect his origin story. he's an ambitious underdog. personally, I think he should have learned the ropes from a bigger name crime boss and, eventually, figured that he could do it better. instead, they skipped to the "I'm in charge now" story. Dark Reign would have worked better if the crime boss who Hood was working under got the invite to Osborn's Cabal, instead. then Norman, after being betrayed by pretty much everyone, could have given the kid a shot; out of desperation. otherwise, it really made no sense for Norman to even acknowledge the character.
    Last edited by Michael Watkins; 03-14-2018 at 03:03 PM.

While I don't know who this villain is, I doubt killing him would be an actual good idea, characters have potential to be more than whatever a bad writter did with them, and all it takes is a good writter to set them right, after all, didn't Red Hulk start as a boring Villain Sue before he was made interesting by another writter?

If the character really alienated too many people he can always go to limbo for a while then brought back to be less annoyed, but I don't think killing him is the right answer, which wouldn't even do anything anyways since another writter can always resurrect him.

I became a Hood fan through Blood from Stones. I also enjoyed his portrayal throughout New Avengers, so I'd rather not see him killed off. He just needs a better writer.