Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    'Sup Choom? Handsome men don't lose fights's Avatar

Default Bendis is gone, can we kill the Hood now?

Fair question, I think. Let's face it, Parker Robins doesn't work. He would have been consigned years ago to Poochie's homeworld if Bendis hadn't gotten obsessed with trying to get him over. It never happened, it never will, and frankly having him positioned as a major threat to Doctor Doom is pretty unconvincing. As a treat for long suffering Avengers fans, can he please be killed now?
    "A happy ending? So unlikely. We're not having a moment here.

Wrong city, wrong people, all huddling in fear.

No one escapes the slaughterhouse, and that's just where you're at.

(You could've asked Rebecca but then Adam stomped her flat.)

You think you're special cuz you're scrappy? You're deluded, time to go.

Lucy's living on the moon but you're another dead psycho."

I'd prefer not to kill him so much as revert him to the character Brian K Vaughn actually created in the first mini series. That character was a good read. The Bendis takes on him have not been.

Eh, just wrote him better or put him in limbo til someone writes him better.

Blow up his home town and leave it a giant pit.

You just described
    spoilers:
    The ending of Buffy the Vampire Slayer.
    end of spoilers
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome men don't lose fights View Post
    Fair question, I think. Let's face it, Parker Robins doesn't work. He would have been consigned years ago to Poochie's homeworld if Bendis hadn't gotten obsessed with trying to get him over. It never happened, it never will, and frankly having him positioned as a major threat to Doctor Doom is pretty unconvincing. As a treat for long suffering Avengers fans, can he please be killed now?
    No, he's one of the good new villains. He doesn't deserve to be killed just because Bendis doesn't know when to stop.
    Just give him some time off and let somebody else write him.

If we have to kill the characters Bendis used too much, I'd rather begin with Kitty Pryde and Norman Osborn.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kaijudo View Post
    I'd prefer not to kill him so much as revert him to the character Brian K Vaughn actually created in the first mini series. That character was a good read. The Bendis takes on him have not been.
    I was just going to say that. I loved the first Hood mini before Bendis got a hold of him.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    You just described
    spoilers:
    The ending of Buffy the Vampire Slayer.
    end of spoilers
    I was trying to evoke memories of an instory action to piss off sa previous writer. But I'd settle for that.

Yeah. My introduction to the Hood was in the Beyond mini-series, by the late great Dwayne McDuffie and Scott Kolins, and it was great (I LOVE that mini-series). Then Bendis decided to make him Kingpin light by having everybody job to him, just to show how big and bad he was. It was really pathetic. I don't know if he can be returned to the character of old, but maybe something else. If I was going to wish dead every character Bendis ruined, the Marvel Universe would become a very barren place indeed.

Peace

It's not the Hood's fault that Bendis didn't really get his character, as created by BKV. Although I do give Bendis credit for upping his profile; I may not have liked all his decisions, but characters like the Hood and Noh-Var - not to mention Luke Cage - are more well-known because of him. It's nice to know they probably won't be fading into obscurity anytime soon.

Personally, I'd love to see the Hood start a new Skeleton Crew with a bunch of scary/demonic criminals.

-Pav, who doesn't get why people who dislike a character want to make sure nobody gets to read about that character...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

I have to say of your only exposure to the Hood is through Bendis you need to check out the first mini by Brian K Vaughan and Kyle Hotz.

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome men don't lose fights View Post
    Fair question, I think.
    No .
    "̶l̶̶e̶̶t̶'̶s̶̶ ̶̶h̶̶a̶̶v̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶o̶̶m̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶f̶̶u̶̶n̶̶,̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶h̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶b̶̶e̶̶a̶̶t̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶.̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶ ̶̶w̶̶a̶̶n̶̶n̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶a̶̶k̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶r̶̶i̶̶d̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶o̶̶n̶̶ ̶̶y̶̶o̶̶u̶̶r̶̶ ̶̶d̶̶i̶̶s̶̶c̶̶o̶̶s̶̶t̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶"
    "Let's have some fun, this riff is sick. I wanna mosh around in the Circle Pit!"

Matt's Stuff [Blog]: Star Wars Visions: Ranked
    Matt Eduardson [YT]: Palpatine's Return - Dark Empire VS The Rise of Skywalker

My Twitter

Yes, please. Also make it look like a beloved X-character did it (whether they did or not)

This. He had enormous potential, but Bendis got way too excited about him and morphed his personality to fit his own story.

EDIT: I was originally under the impression he was meant to be a top underdog villain, similar to Shocker (he'll kill, but it's low on his list and it really is just about the job/money). Instead, he was pushing around the Wrecking Crew, going toe to toe with the Avengers, and hanging out with Doom and Loki. Thanks, Bendis~
    Last edited by darthblinx; 03-13-2018 at 02:02 PM.

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

Death ultimately feels pointless in comics at this point.

I liked Bendis' Hood, because after getting beat down he'd rise up to become a major threat again.