Mighty Member

Default Those legendary trailer voice over guys

Percy Rodrigues, Adolf Caesar, Charles Aidman, Don Lafortine and Hal Douglas, any other fans?

They all have amazing voices in commercials and trailers in the 70s, 80s and 90s as some even do acting to voice acting (Peter Cullen for example) and is a missing art in trailers nowadays as they knew how to sell movies and stuff.

Adolf Caesar who played the drill sergeant in A Soldier's Tale and did other acting roles was a legendary TV spot/trailer voice over in the 70s and early 80s before his untimely death. He did trailers to Dawn of the dead, Blacula, Day of the Dead, Sleepaway Camp, Mother's Day, The Dark Crystal, A Nightmare on Elm Street, 1 and 2, The Prowler, Nightmare (1981), Dr Butcher MD aka Zombie Holocaust, Last House on the Left 1972, Evil Dead TV spots and more.

Charles Aidman who did the narration of the 80s Twilight Zone series and acted on MASH and others, he also did the narration to 1985's NBC presentation of Dumbo, one episode of Garfield and Friends and so much more. He did trailers to Labyrinth, Cobra, Pinocchio 1984 re-issue, Ferngully, Princess Bride, Brain Damage, Nightbreed, Hellraiser 1 & 2, Lost Boys and so much more

Don Lafortine is totally a legend in action trailers to some horror trailers and more. He did trailers to Friday The 13th, The Blob (1988), Batman Returns, Batman Mask of the Phantasm, Ghostbusters 2, Terminator 2 and more.

Percy Rodriguez the second ultimate voice ever! he's a black Canadian-Portugese actor who appeared in the 60's on Star Trek and early 70s like in the Planet of the Apes show and so much more. He did a crapton of trailers like Jaws with it's sequels, Tales from the Darkside the movie, Creepshow 2, Planes Trains and Automobiles, Great Outdoors, Dead and Buried, Tales from the Hood, Neon Maniacs, Night of the Creeps, Return of the Living Dead, Dracula 1979, The Omen, Psycho II, The Exorcist (one of the trailers), Taxi Driver, Deadly Blessing, Heavy Metal (which he voiced Loc-nar in the movie as well), Friday The 13th part 6/7, The Gate, Making Contact aka Joey, House (1985), Children of the Corn and more.

Hal Douglas too has an awesome voice as he did Die Hard trilogy, Commando, Big Trouble in Little China, Con Air, The Rock, Bad Boys 1 & 2 and so much more as his voice is iconic in the action genre and other films

Mighty Member

Who else misses those neat voice trailers?

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Trailers don't really have voice-overs anymore, do they? They just show you half the movie instead.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    Trailers don't really have voice-overs anymore, do they? They just show you half the movie instead.
    I mostly agree

But yeah, there was something cool about the sound of those resonant voices in theater surround-sound. Part of the quintessential theater experience, like the smell of popcorn and the sound of the "Our Feature Presentation" theme music.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    But yeah, there was something cool about the sound of those resonant voices in theater surround-sound. Part of the quintessential theater experience, like the smell of popcorn and the sound of the "Our Feature Presentation" theme music.
    And who is your fave announcer?

LaFontaine I guess, although Al Chalk is pretty good too.

Spectacular Member

Probably my favorite voice over by Adolph Caesar is the TV ad for KISS' second album, ''HOTTER THAN HELL''(1974); the line ''The Demons of Rock, burnin' cross-country with FIRE AND THUNDER!'' sticks with me to this day...

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by CFB View Post
    Probably my favorite voice over by Adolph Caesar is the TV ad for KISS' second album, ''HOTTER THAN HELL''(1974); the line ''The Demons of Rock, burnin' cross-country with FIRE AND THUNDER!'' sticks with me to this day...
    Wow must had been something! the voiceovers in trailers/TV spots/ads i grew up with was Percy Rodriguez, Hal Douglas, Don Lafontine, Charles Aidman, Mark Elliot and more.