Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Default The Olympics Silly demand to E-Sports.

The Olympic committee will consider adding E-Sports , which has grew into a huge money making online sports gaming phenomenon that has started getting broadcast on ESPN. The Olympics seemed to realize this is a growing young demographic they need but the older ones on the committee don't really want that audience. So they made a really stupid demand that makes no sense.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018/...iolence/?amp=1

Those pushing for the $1.5 billion esports industry to be considered on equal footing with traditional sports got a big boost back in October when the International Olympic Committee (IOC) said that "competitive 'esports' could be considered as a sporting activity" for Olympic competition. It's becoming increasingly clear, though, that the IOC won't even consider any esports that involve violence, a decision that eliminates many of the space's most popular games.
    Its pretty funny as the Olympic committee seems intent on being silly. Darn those make believe games where you kill folks in the future. That promotes violence !
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Mutatis Mutandis ChildOfTheAtom's Avatar
    1407 Graymalkin Lane, North Salem, NY 10560

E-Sports is just as silly as real Sports.
    The agreement also provides Disney with the opportunity to reunite the X-MEN with the Marvel family under one roof and create richer, more complex worlds of inter-related characters and stories that audiences have shown they love. It only makes sense for Marvel to be supervised by one entity. There shouldn't be two Marvels.

Yeah we already spend way too much money paying hockey, football, soccer, and basket players to play their games. We don't need to pay people stupid amounts of money to play video games too

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

I hate E-Sports with a passion given it forces all sorts of crappy nonsense into games, ESPECIALLY fighting games, which everyone else has to put up with, all for the sake of an unhealthy worship of some pro types who get their five minutes of fame before people stop honestly caring.

And also what Chocolate said.

Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

I find it interesting that we may see a future where someone has a Gold Medal in Splatoon or Dane Dance Revolution.

Ooh! Sonic and Mario at the Olympic Games!

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to finish designing a competitive game where you have to nonviolently dope your Olympians in a way the Olympic Committee came figure out. I'm thinking of making it a Civilization clone. There will be some sort of mechanic for figuring out how to offset the long-term cost of having successfully won the right to host the Olympics.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    I hate E-Sports with a passion given it forces all sorts of crappy nonsense into games, ESPECIALLY fighting games, which everyone else has to put up with, all for the sake of an unhealthy worship of some pro types who get their five minutes of fame before people stop honestly caring.

And also what Chocolate said.
    I'm not against organized sport or competitive video games, I enjoy watching some of both. Especially fighting game tournaments haha. I just don't think either deserve special funding or excessive amounts of spending

Quote Originally Posted by The Drunkard Kid View Post
    Now if you'll excuse me, I need to finish designing a competitive game where you have to nonviolently dope your Olympians in a way the Olympic Committee came figure out. I'm thinking of making it a Civilization clone. There will be some sort of mechanic for figuring out how to offset the long-term cost of having successfully won the right to host the Olympics.
    If you can find a virtual Russian doping expert to use virtual fresh urine samples to trick a virtual DOPA into virtually letting you join despite lots of virtual evidence and a virtual Netflix award winning virtual documentary, go for it

I also think Guinness World Records Video Game Edition would get a LOT more busy.

Quote Originally Posted by Chocolate Starmie View Post
    I'm not against organized sport or competitive video games, I enjoy watching some of both. Especially fighting game tournaments haha. I just don't think either deserve special funding or excessive amounts of spending
    And I respect your position, I'm just tired of developers like Capcom or EA using those sorts of things to fuel their already greedy practices. Olympics recognitiion would only worsen that, especially if the game market ends up flooded with contenders to join at the expense of well designed and well made non-e-sport experiences.

To keep your ass on a chair for most of the day playing video games is considered a sport now?

Man, they sure are a lot of athletes out there then.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Well here ya go...

In all I get the HA HA , these aren't athletes deal. Sure....but remember the Olympics came to them 1st and all. Because they wanted the youth of E-Sports and the money it generates. Its not E-Sports issue that some of the older geezers on the Olympics board are believing a fantasy game is somehow violent for them. In all yes you can blast all ya want. But at the end a lot of these guys are earning thousands of dollars per tournaments done. (ESPN has started airing some of them now)
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

usually when some one thinks of sport they think of stuff like football. something that's physical. most won't consider competitive games to be sports and that includes Chess. fighting games were notorious for being extremely difficult . get good at a fighting game takes a lot of practice. their difficulty is why fighting games became a niche genre in the first place.
    My Forum check it out

Bruceleegreyhulk's RPG & Story Forum

Characters: Cyber Samurai, Wilima Stonewall, Red Oni, Jaakobah , Giduiz Mazi, Midas Goldsteel

Gambit: Gambit see your bet and raise it, because the cards always be in my favor.

Fantastic Member

im trying to think of a competitive game that has no violence... i could only think of the usual puzzle games (Tetris, Puyo Puyo, Puzzle Bobble, etc) and of course sports games (tecmo bowl, nba 2k, madden, fifa, etc) but that would be incredibly stupid to involve. anything else? are nintendo's mario kart and splatoon also "violent" by their definition ?

would FPS games need to have like a esports mode to have "kills" be represented in some other way ? and no guns?

Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

I think that Splatoon would be like Judo, Wrestling, Fencing, and Hockey: non-lethal versions of something that is clearly designed around killing people.