Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Default New Hawkman series by Robert Venditti and Bryan Hitch

Robert Venditti and Bryan Hitch will be working on the new Hawkman solo spinning out of Metal.

[Metal] has really elevated Carter Hall/Hawkman (Katar Hol), and brought him back to the DC universe in an [exciting] way,” Venditti told The Washington Post’s Comic Riffs. “That’s really what Bryan and I’s vision for the series is as well.”

“Hawkman is a foundational character in the DCU,” he added. “Over time I think he’s lost some of that central importance to the DC universe, and we really want to bring that back and make him a marquee character,” Venditti said. “And to do that we’re going to take him to a lot of unexpected, unexplored places and introduce a lot of new mythology for the character.”

“The Winged Man is such a significant and powerful image in myth and legend,” Hitch said. “That’s exactly the element Hawkman fits best. It’s such a unique image to play with from the Bird of Prey to the Angel, the winged man is genuinely awesome in the truest sense,” Hitch said. “Carter [Hawkman] is the DCU’s greatest warrior, but he’s also part of its secret history. All of that gives you such a rich visual tapestry as an artist to play with.”

BANNED

Heh. And everyone was so sure it was gonna be Lemire writing.

But yeah, no interest in reading a Hawkman solo or a book from Venditti.

Dead on arrival
    But maybe there's a chance it can be good

Quote Originally Posted by Assam View Post
    Heh. And everyone was so sure it was gonna be Lemire writing.
    Lemire already confirmed a while ago that DC went with someone else to write it.

I guess Venditti is the "writer he respected a lot" who got the job, though I didn't even know they knew each other.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Lemire already confirmed a while ago that DC went with someone else to write it.
    My mistake. Didn't know about that.

Really odd they didn’t give this to Lemire.

Hitch’s art has been very disappointing these days. Maybe he needs a new inker.

Astonishing Member WallyWestFlash's Avatar

YYYEEEEESSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!

I did a literal fist pump when I saw this. I love Hawkman. One of my favorite heroes. So excited.

If this were two years ago I would have been very meh on Venditti writing but he has been doing an awesome job on Hal Jordan since Rebirth.

Hitch is good as well but we all know he won't last long. I'm just hoping he won't delay the book and the person who fills in is good.

I guess they are using Carter who I prefer over Katar so that's another plus for me. I hope they embrace his warrior and archaeologist persona fighting magical types.
    Johns did a great job with that in his series.

I hadn't heard that Lemire wasn't set up to be writing this anymore, but in retrospect the lack of announcements since Metal started should've tipped me off.

I don't have overly fond memories of Venditti's writing but I have heard good things about his current work. And I've always enjoyed Hitch's art (though he can't keep a deadline to save his life). I like the Hawks (though Shayera far more than any of the others) and want to see what can be done with the mythos in a post-Barbatos DCU.

So this will definitely get an issue out of me. We'll see how that goes.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Really hope Hawkgirl will be on one of the JL teams spinning out of metal, don't want her to just be a supporting character in this book.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    Really hope Hawkgirl will be on one of the JL teams spinning out of metal, don't want her to just be a supporting character in this book.
    Right?

I'd actually rather read a Shayera book than anything.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Mighty Member

It's nice to see Hawkman with a solo again, but why does Venditti have to write two of my favorite characters

Thrashing Like a Maniac! Gotham Thrasher's Avatar

Yessssss! Hawkman is one of my favorites and Venditti has been killing it on Hal Jordan & the GLC and this means the rumor of Hitch writing JSA probably false (bullet avoided!) Now, is too much to hope that the book Lemire chose over this to be Legion (perhaps with King Co writing?)
    And then there were none...

Custom Binding Thread: http://community.comicbookresources....0645aadbab2369

The All Purpose Metal Thread : http://community.comicbookresources....5299bbaefeffe8

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

I'll buy it out of loyalty to the character, but I expect to be completely disappointed (Ha! Typical comic fan )

As mediocre as Venditti is when he's not writing X-O Manowar, I still think he'd have done better with a Katar/space cop book.

Hitch's art gets worse every year. He's gotten better at keeping deadlines (see his dreadful yet timely Justice League), but at the expense of quality it would seem...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

I know people like to slag on Venditti, but he is killing it on Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps these days. If he had not had the turn around I would be worried, but like I said his HJaGLC has been really good for the better part of two years now.