Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Formerly Blackdragon6 Emperor-of-Dragons's Avatar

Default Come hell, or zombie apocalypse you can always find this food in your kitchen

A few months ago me and my friends was talking about how we always have this type of food in stock come hell or high water growing up. For example somebody will still have a can of corn or something readily available if nothing else. For me growing up my mom always kept white rice in stock and powdered milk, canned meats, canned fruit, sugar, condensed milk, tea, coffee and Kool-Aid...lots and lots and lots, of Kool-Aid.

So when the zombie apocalypse, alien invasion, or the rise of the machines happen, what food is guaranteed to be in your kitchen.

For honor... Madam-Shogun-Assassin's Avatar

For us it was mostly canned goods (stuff my mom and grandmother knew we would eat), and stuff my folks would jar and deep freeze. Which was basically everything. My maternal grandmother was a borderline doomsday prepper in terms of stocking up on food. But keep in mind their was 10 of us, excluding cousins. We also had a massive stockpile of Kool-Aid, and coffee. My maternal grandmother's stockpile came in handy during the blizzard of 93, i never questioned her about stockpiling food again. We were snowed in for about a week and some change.

Jello. I swear when the zombie apocalypse happens and you see me running around with a backpack on, it will be full of those little jello boxes.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Peanut butter for sure. Lived on PB sandwiches in school since I hated the lunches in the cafeteria. It would probably be hard to round up some bread after a while.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 03-23-2018 at 11:38 PM.

BANNED

Diet Dr. Pepper. It's great with the low-carb life.

BANNED

arsenic pills

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Peanuts. Plain, honey roasted, they're always in my cupboard.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Turns out if you keep powdered milk long enough it gets worms in it. Brown rice too. Canned food goes bad eventually. I found a can of tomato paste a couple years old and it had turned dark and smelled really bad.
    Frozen meat eventually turns funky. Nuts turn rancid even when stored in the refrigerator. White rice seems to last forever. Popcorn too.

Invincible Member

Canned food especially corn, peas, and green beans.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Madam-Shogun-Assassin View Post
    For us it was mostly canned goods (stuff my mom and grandmother knew we would eat), and stuff my folks would jar and deep freeze. Which was basically everything. My maternal grandmother was a borderline doomsday prepper in terms of stocking up on food. But keep in mind their was 10 of us, excluding cousins. We also had a massive stockpile of Kool-Aid, and coffee. My maternal grandmother's stockpile came in handy during the blizzard of 93, i never questioned her about stockpiling food again. We were snowed in for about a week and some change.
    My mom was kind of like that. It did come in handy a few times...I do some but not as nearly as much, mostly canned stuff and some emergency/ camping gear.

Formerly Blackdragon6 Emperor-of-Dragons's Avatar

I didn't bring up Jello, and Peanut butter cause i figured that was kinda given. My folks always kept jello mixes, jams/jellies and peanut butter. Funny story; i had friends of the family along with my uncle who worked for a local shipping company and that's how we got crates of faygos, and pepsi, coke products.

While it's mostly for "When The Ship Goes Down..." eventualities, canned black and green olives.

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    Turns out if you keep powdered milk long enough it gets worms in it. Brown rice too. Canned food goes bad eventually. I found a can of tomato paste a couple years old and it had turned dark and smelled really bad.
    Frozen meat eventually turns funky. Nuts turn rancid even when stored in the refrigerator. White rice seems to last forever. Popcorn too.
    There will probably be some Twinkies still around too

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    There will probably be some Twinkies still around too
    Where I work one of the guys set up a Twinkie experiment back in 1988. Basically just a Twinkie in package set up in a safe but out in the open place in the shop. As of 2018 the Twinkie looks exactly the same as a fresh Twinkie.

There you go. I do think Snowballs might survive also

Last edited by Iron Maiden; 03-24-2018 at 09:22 AM.