Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Default Cover Contest - 3/14/18 to 3/20/18 SCIENCE! A Stephen Hawking memorial

The theme this week is science! Please to post of a cover which is showing some form of science. Ideally, this would be accurate science, but these are comic books. If you feel the need to explain how your cover fits the theme, that would be welcome.

Today is Pi day in the USA, 3/14, noting the number Pi, the ratio of the circumference of a circle to its diameter. Today is also the day Professor Stephen Hawking passed away. Science seems to be a fitting topic.

THE RULES:
    1) Post One (& ONLY ONE) Cover that fits the theme of this Week's Contest!
    2) Cover must be from a Published Comic Book or Collected Volume!
    3) Covers must be Posted before Voting Begins!
    4) Voting Begins 12 AM Tuesday and Runs Until 12 AM Wednesday PST (3 AM EST)!
    5) Vote by Posting the name in BOLD of the Poster whose cover best fits the theme or that you simply like the most! A vote need not be in bold, but it does make it easier to Count-The-Votes!
    6) The Winner of the Contest is the Entry with the MOST Votes after the Voting-Period!
    7) It's Okay to Discuss the Covers but if you Think Someone's Entry Doesn't Fit the Theme or Violates the Rules, you Don't need to Argue it in the thread, Simply Don't Vote for It!
    8) Plus: Occasionally Voting will Result in a Tie! The Person Who Started the Thread will do the Counting that Week will Usually call for a TIE-Breaking --Vote from Someone who has Not Yet Voted!
    9) AFTER the Tie-Breaker Vote, Voting Ends and the Winner is Declared by The One Who Started the Thread (or assigned surrogate) and Thus will do the Counting.
    Last edited by CaptCleghorn; 03-14-2018 at 12:13 PM. Reason: The tune was needed.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

An example of zero gravity in space.

RIP Stephen Hawking
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Astonishing Member

My reason for selecting this cover isn't so much for the cover itself as for the story behind it. This Gladstone issue reprints a Carl Barks story from 1944 in which Donald Duck makes a reference to CH2:

This particular chemical compound, however, didn't actually exist - then. However, Donald was just being ahead of his time (as was often the case, both in Barks stpries and in those by Don Rosa). Here's the story:

In 1963, the Disney Studio learned just how wide and faithful a readership Barks had. A letter arrived from Joseph B. Lambert of the California Institute of Technology, pointing out a curious reference in "The Spin States of Carbenes," a technical article soon to be published by P.P. Gaspar and G.S. Hammond (in Carbene Chemistry, edited by Wolfgang Kirmse, New York: Academic Press, 1964). "Despite the recent extensive interest in methylene chemistry," read the article's last paragraph, "much additional study is required.... Among experiments which have not, to our knowledge, been carried out as yet is one of a most intriguing nature suggested in the literature of no less than 19 years ago (91)." Footnote 91, in turn, directed readers to issue 44 of Walt Disney's Comics and Stories. It seems Donald's reference to CH2 in panel 2.1 was years ahead of its time: the existence of this elusive chemical intermediate had not been proven in 1944.
    "The inclusion of this footnote in a quite scholarly article," Lambert explained, "stemmed from the discovery that Dr. Gaspar ... and I shared a mutual, and independently long-standing esteem for the adventures of Donald Duck. We both had retained copies of some of the classic adventures. It was Dr. Gaspar who rediscovered this early mention of carbene."

Other members of the scientific community sought out the reference. A year later, the Studio received a letter from Richard Greenwald, a scientist at Harvard. "Recent developments in chemistry have focused much attention to species of this sort," Greenwald commented. "Without getting technical let me say that carbenes can be made but not isolated; i.e. they cannot be put into a jar and kept on a shell. They can, however, be made to react with other substances. Donald was using carbene in just such a manner, many years before 'real chemists' thought to do so."

The telltale panel has since been used to illustrate an article by Robert A. Moss ("Carbene Chemistry," Chemical and Engineering News, 16 June 1969) and a textbook by Robert Morrison and Robert Boyd (Organic Chemistry, 3rd Edition, Boston: Allyn and Bacon, 1973).

Here, you can see it cited in that textbook:

Decided to change mine up...

I love Jim Ottaviani's science comics.

-M
    Last edited by MRP; 03-14-2018 at 07:45 PM.
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

Last edited by PaulBullion; 03-14-2018 at 02:00 PM.
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

More eldritch than thou Venomous Mask's Avatar

"I should describe my known nature as tripartite, my interests consisting of three parallel and disassociated groups; a) love of the strange and the fantastic, b) love of abstract truth and scientific logic, c) love of the ancient and the permanent. Sundry combinations of these strains will probably account for my...odd tastes, and eccentricities."

You all will have to let me know if this one is allowed. But it is some of the finest work ever done by a comic artist.

The full illustration, used for the cover is simply jaw dropping.

There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Incredible Member

Here's a scientist recording data about the effects of certain stimuli on a test subject:

Last edited by Rob Allen; 03-14-2018 at 03:48 PM.
    --
    The discussion forum for fans of 20th-century comics: http://classiccomics.org

Two of my favourite comic book scientists, partaking in one of science's biggest achievements, inspiring youth (and also allowing them to do cool stuff in class).

Currently re-reading: Captivology • Currently re-watching: Guardians of the Galaxy • Currently re-heating: brownies in the microwave

I have no idea what is going on here, so it must be "science", also it says so in the title.
    Last edited by Güicho; 03-15-2018 at 07:13 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Blinded by science, I'm on the run
    I'm not an appliance, so don't turn me on
    What's in the future, has it just begun
    Blinded by science, I'm on the run

I don't think you could cram any more science on to this cover if you tried!