Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Marvel 2-in-One #4 SPOILERS

Things begin with Rachna talking about the solution she dreamed of landing right on her doorstep. It is revealed that she is talking to what looks a like a comatose woman on a hospital bed called Dee, Rachna then kisses Dee on the forehead bye as she goes off to meet Ben and Johnny.

We find Ben and Johnny impatiently waiting for Rachna, while Spider-man and Alicia share their concerns about Ben and johnny travelling the multiverse with Reed's expertise. They try and reassure Peter and Alicia by saying they've got Rachna to fill the genius void, who then finally arrives while being her usual charming self. Rachna explains that she has a device that hones in on the FF's specific cosmic radiation once they are in multiverse. The team then sets off and are floating in the multiplane which is like a bridge that connects all multiverses. Then Johnny spots something.

Next thing we see is them falling through a portal and hurtling towards the ground of what looks like New York. They manage to come out unscathed, Rachna points Ben and Johnny in the direction of of the FF's cosmic radiations reading which happens to be the Baxter Building. She says that she is going to investigate a place with lower level radiation and walks off telling them to stay in touch with the communicators.

As Ben and Johnny are walking they are noticing how similar this universes New York is to their own. Johnny wonders why Reed and Sue haven't come back if it was this easy to get to them while Ben has a guilty look on his face. While approaching the Baxter Building they are stopped by She-Hulk and Wolverine (Logan) who have the SHIELD insignia on their uniforms and don't look too friendly. They both believe that Ben and Johnny are Skrull impostors and are not buying that they are the real deal. Logan counts down from three the suddenly attacks Johnny while Jen squares off against Ben.
    Johnny's powers are still on the fritz and he can't flame on properly leading to Logan stabbing him, that's when Logan realizes that they are human as Skrulls don't bleed red. As he comes to that realization Ben clobbers him through a building then he demands Jen to take them to Reed immediately.

Johnny seems okay and was patched up. On the way to Reed, Jen explains that all the heroes decide to work under SHILED because of the Skrull threat. In this reality many escaped from their destroyed homeworld and around a million have been replaced by them. She says that Reed returned shortly after but he wouldn't say where he went. Since he's been back he has been working nonstop to make things "better". As Johnny was about to ask what they mean by that they enter Reeds lab and Jen answers with "Everything".

We Reed and Hank McCoy in front of this giant device that looks like it's ripped straight from the pages of Lee and Kirby. Reed has long hair and beard and looked shocked to see Ben and Johnny. He realizes that they aren't his Ben and Johnny because if Johnny were there they'd all be dead. Johnny swears in anger over being in the wrong place as Reed says there is no time for distractions and tearfully returns to whatever he was working on. Hank takes them to another room to discuss the situation and figures out that they are form another universe as they are the right age but their Reed and Sue have kids while Hank's does not.

Hank explains that in this reality Ben died years ago, Sue left Reed and now leads the superhuman division of SHIELD and Johnny is alive. He says Reed is working tirelessly to right his wrongs and make the planet the best it can be. Hank figures that point where the universe diverge is when the FF first came up against Galactus. Ben throws himself at the being and is killed because of it. This breaks Reed and out of anger he goes up against Galactus and fails. But all the while Doom was working on finally getting the best of Reed. And he does.

This Doom managed to create a machine that allowed him to do his mind swap with Galactus, saving Earth. With the power of Galactus Doom swore that he would never feast on Earth and with this defeat from Doom and the loss of Ben, Reed became a shell of a man. Hank then reveals that because of the combined hunger for energy of Galactus and hunger for power of Doom, Doomlactus devoured everything in the universe except earth. It then ends on seeing Earth in total darkness only surrounded by a mechanical ring that seems to hold an artificial Sun.

---------------

I am never doing one these ever again. That was a lot of effort and I suck at it lol. If someone has a better summary I will delete this one and link yours.

I loved this issue and premise. I bet that Johnny is the Sun because of Reed's reaction to him being there.

I wonder what Rachna's goal is? It must have something to do with that sick woman. Maybe she thinks she can find an undiscovered cure in another universe?

Anyone else find it interesting that every alternate reality Sue that isn't with Reed is in a position of power?...
    Last edited by Crimz; 03-14-2018 at 12:17 PM.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

A good issue do not like to see Ben lying to Johnny but understand his motives.

Again they make a connection between Sue and Shield maybe who knows in the future this happens in the Prime Universe equally.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

This was a "fantastic" issue!

No, seriously, it was. It was a blast. Other than the ugly costumes, I really liked everything about this issue. The dialogue between them all, including the other alternate characters and Reed. The story about that alt universe was cool and something Doom would do. So it looks like the next issue will be them against Doom with Galactus' power.

One question, I wonder what Johnny saw when he said "Wait, is that..."?
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    I loved this issue and premise. I bet that Johnny is the Sun because of Reed's reaction to him being there.
    Yeah, probably - he was Battleworld's Sun in Secret Wars.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Another great issue. Loved Wolverine realizing Johnny wasn't a Skrull because of his blood. lol.

Quote Originally Posted by The Whovian View Post

One question, I wonder what Johnny saw when he said "Wait, is that..."?
    Hope we find out soon.
    Marvel Pull - Fantastic Four, The Immortal Hulk
    DC Pull - The Green Lantern, Goddess Mode
    Indie Pull - The Wrong Earth, High Heaven

It seems like Doomlactus (or Galactudoom?) is going to be a threat to the entire multiverse seeing as the only meal left is that Earth.

I wonder if Reed was missing because he was with the Council of Reeds and somehow escaped the Mad Celestials?

Also, I think I would be fine with Zdarsky taking over the Fantastic four book when they return. This is a great and crazy concept that is also based off classic FF history.

All that's left is to see how he writes Sue and the kids.

Edit: I also wonder if Sue and Reed are in the Multiplane? The best place to recreate and explore the Multiverse is in the bridge between them all.
    Last edited by Crimz; 03-14-2018 at 02:16 PM.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Doom is way overexposed. what number are we up to on the "Doom steals cosmic power" card? have I won a free sandwich?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    Doom is way overexposed. what number are we up to on the "Doom steals cosmic power" card? have I won a free sandwich?
    I don't have a problem with this. It's simply an alternate reality where Doom ended up stealing Galactus's power rather than the Surfer's. It's an interesting take on an old theme.

Another winner! This one goes WAY back to Lee & Kirby's run. Issue # 10 specifically when Doom uses the knowledge of the ovoids to switch bodies with Reed.

As long as Zdarsky is at the helm, I will keep reading!

But when is Cheung coming back!?

Quote Originally Posted by Andru View Post
    MTIO #6

https://comicstore.marvel.com/Marvel...omic/48005?r=1

Quote Originally Posted by davew128 View Post
    I don't have a problem with this. It's simply an alternate reality where Doom ended up stealing Galactus's power rather than the Surfer's. It's an interesting take on an old theme.
    been there done that. he merged with annihilus and some variant of kang last time around.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    been there done that. he merged with annihilus and some variant of kang last time around.
    In Millar's run IIRC, and mocked 616 Doom for losing to Ant-Man.

Quote Originally Posted by davew128 View Post
    In Millar's run IIRC, and mocked 616 Doom for losing to Ant-Man.
    It was in Fraction's FF.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Andru View Post
    Another winner! This one goes WAY back to Lee & Kirby's run. Issue # 10 specifically when Doom uses the knowledge of the ovoids to switch bodies with Reed.

As long as Zdarsky is at the helm, I will keep reading!

Not only does it bring back an old skill that Doom in our universe doesn't use that much anymore but it looks like the device he created resembles the power siphon he used on the Silver Surfer. Gotta give points to artist Valerio Schiti for that

But wow, Doom has got to learn to control his appetite. It doesn't look like he uses a herald in this universe. Galactus never worked through a whole universe like that so quickly!

Some things stay the same. Wolverine stabs first and thinks later. I though his sense of smell would have told him if he was a Skrull or not.

Crimz, you did find with the first post. Don't worry about it.

BANNED

hmm maybe the series is starting to divert from the theme of search of FF to saving of the MV for umpteenth time by Johnny and Ben. While not exactly a trite idea it would have been a bit more than sufficient for zardsky to concentrate on the 616 selves exploring the mv and discovering things the way ultimates did without any alternative variants of FF and doom. this feels more like a animated series take and started me thinking nothing of serious consequence is going to occur.