Mighty Member

Default The Weird Problem With the DC Universe

Extraordinary Member

Uh, not really. Well, firstly, there's no reason why some things wouldn't be the exact same. Bruce Springsteen wouldn't necessarily move to Gotham to start his career because, well, Gotham is known to be a bad place to live is not really known for its arts or music scene. New York is.

Also, this same problem would apply to the Marvel universe as well. I mean, doesn't the Marvel universe have whole fictional countries like Latveria and Wakanda and Genosha and Madripoor. Wouldn't the existence of those countries (meaning the existence of millions, if not billions of more people in the world) have a distinct impact on world politics? I mean, its hard to believe the colonization of Africa by Europeans went the exact same way with the Wakandans there or that WWII (or any European wars for that matter) played out the same way with the existence of Latveria.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    Uh, not really. Well, firstly, there's no reason why some things wouldn't be the exact same. Bruce Springsteen wouldn't necessarily move to Gotham to start his career because, well, Gotham is known to be a bad place to live is not really known for its arts or music scene. New York is.

Also, this same problem would apply to the Marvel universe as well. I mean, doesn't the Marvel universe have whole fictional countries like Latveria and Wakanda and Genosha and Madripoor. Wouldn't the existence of those countries (meaning the existence of millions, if not billions of more people in the world) have a distinct impact on world politics? I mean, its hard to believe the colonization of Africa by Europeans went the exact same way with the Wakandans there or that WWII (or any European wars for that matter) played out the same way with the existence of Latveria.
    I don't really agree with him about it being a real problem but I do think it takes me out of the story when they reference real world events in the movies or shows or comics.

How is this a problem?

People actually care about this?

BANNED

I do hate pop culture references, but mostly because they date the work and are cringey to read a few years after.

Quote Originally Posted by LifeIsILL View Post
    How is this a problem?

People actually care about this?
    It's seems more like a personal problem with the guy that made the video rather than a problem with most people. I have no problem Gotham City or Metropolis being fictional cities because Batman and Superman are fictional characters.
    That Barrack Obama exists in the Arrowverse is less far fetched than that Barrack Obama was attacked by a giant gorilla.

It strikes me that this is solved by the Mystery Science Theater 3000 approach. In its theme song, just after it sets up the basic premise, the song goes "If you are wondering how he eats and breathes and other science facts, repeat to yourself: 'It's just a show. I should really just relax.'" Same here. It is just a comic book universe. Relax.
    "Age is not defined by years, but by regrets...I'm an old man now." --Fighting Yank, "Project Superpowers"

Spectacular Member comradepitrovsky's Avatar

It's imaginary.

The dude has a point. He didn't acknowledge DCU's reboots to account for the President issue, but he's NOT wrong that DC Editorial or writing staff aren't as creative as their world suggests.

I thought i would mention JLA/Avengers. But then he mentioned that. He even admits he is overthinking this. He makes a point.

For me its a non-issue. Being not from USA i don't care for cultural references. I can't recognize a number of them, let alone analyze the whys and hows.

I think most writers/editors try to suggest that DC universe is not imaginary. It is our world but with a couple of differences. This is my reading. Its our world but slightly different.

To say Marvel universe being set in our world is an oversimplification. Yes most stories are set in New York, but there are imaginary places like Wakanda. And what would American culture be if superheroes were real? I don't think it would be the same as the comics suggest. Somehow New York has hundreds if not thousands of superheroes and is attacked so many times. Why would people want to live in New York then? It would be dangerous. Probably more then both Gotham and Metropolis. You have every villain attacking New York. Whether of Hulk or Fantastic Four.

Some famous singer would die in New York due to the skrull invasion or something. Analyze in this manner and i think Marvel references shall not work either.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 04-06-2018 at 11:11 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Soubhagya View Post
    I say J. Lo in All Star is someone different. Why shall she be Jennifer Lopez? Why is she not Jennifer Lowrence?
    Because her name is Jennifer Lawrence. I get what you're saying though.