Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Default Green Hornet (2018) Ongoing Discussion - Modern Continuity Mulan Kato is GH!!!

The new Green Hornet Series staring Mulan Kato as Green Hornet just came out last week. This series picks up the modern continuity from the GH series started in 2010 and ran for 33 issues. It ends with Britt Reid Jr, who had taken up the GH mantel from his father, has disappeared with no explanation.

Green Hornet 1 vol2 2018.jpg

Issue #1 - The criminal element has begun to suspect that the GH, a mob boss in his own right and feared as a peer by the cities crime syndicates, is out of action and they begin carving up his territory. This increased criminal activity has begun taking a toll on the city. In an effort to keep the peace our aged original Kato has begun trying to push back by being Green Hornet with Mulan as the sidekick. The issue reveals that his age is catching up to Kato. By issues end Kato reveals to Mulan that she is needed to become Green Hornet.

So issue #2 is going to pick up with Mulan's actual introduction as Green Hornet. What did you think of issue one? Are there any characters or story threads from volume 1, like Redhand, that you'd like to see touched on in this volume?

See you next month in this very thread and every month after to discuss each issue of Mulan as Green Hornet!
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

We also previously had this thread:Haven't picked it up yet, but then again, we've been clobbered by bad weather repeatedly where I am so far this month. (Just got back internet at home this morning after being without it for just over a week; didn't have electricity/heat for about four days, and still don't have my phone line back.)

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

I quite enjoyed the first issue and as someone who didn't read the previous volume I found it easy to follow so that's something. It also made me want to go back to the previous series to get caught up so kudos to the writer for that.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    We also previously had this thread:Haven't picked it up yet, but then again, we've been clobbered by bad weather repeatedly where I am so far this month. (Just got back internet at home this morning after being without it for just over a week; didn't have electricity/heat for about four days, and still don't have my phone line back.)
    Sorry, to hear about that Major. The weather where I am has been pretty much the same so I sympathize.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

Quote Originally Posted by JasonTodd428 View Post
    Sorry, to hear about that Major. The weather where I am has been pretty much the same so I sympathize.
    Thanks.
    There have been three (so far) nor'easters that struck so far this month.
    The first resulted in a power outage that lasted about two days for us, but the phone line (old-fashioned landline) wasn't out for as long, and not too much other damage at my house.
    The second one, with heavy, wet snow, is what did us in. A fallen tree blocked our driveway, and another fallen tree (or branch) took down the power/telephone/cable/internet lines, so fixes to restore service to our area didn't solve our particular outages.
    Storm #4 is due next week; still waiting to find out if/how serious that will be for us.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonTodd428 View Post
    I quite enjoyed the first issue and as someone who didn't read the previous volume I found it easy to follow so that's something. It also made me want to go back to the previous series to get caught up so kudos to the writer for that.
    If Dynamite made one Omnibus or two Deluxe volumes that contained the entire 33 issue run of the 2010 series that would be an instant purchase for me.

@MajorHoy - sorry to hear about your weather situation. I have a good friend in both Philly and Boston and my Boston friend has been in the worse shape.
    Hope things are getting back to normal and you're able to get to your LCS and get GH#1 soon!

Thanks.
    There have been three (so far) nor'easters that struck so far this month.
    The first resulted in a power outage that lasted about two days for us, but the phone line (old-fashioned landline) wasn't out for as long, and not too much other damage at my house.
    The second one, with heavy, wet snow, is what did us in. A fallen tree blocked our driveway, and another fallen tree (or branch) took down the power/telephone/cable/internet lines, so fixes to restore service to our area didn't solve our particular outages.
    Storm #4 is due next week; still waiting to find out if/how serious that will be for us.
    Yeah, we've had several power outages due to storms here as well. One of them was on one of the coldest days of the year here and lasted for hours because they couldn't even figure out where the problem was. Turns out it was that salt particles had somehow gotten blown into the system and eventually made it auto shutdown because the system was reading that it was overheating. That one was weird. Last weekend we had a blowing snowstorm that lasted for hours and then snow melted away because the ground was too warm. Now we're in a rain, on top of rain, on top of rain pattern which means flash flooding and flooding in general. Its a mess. Anyway, I hope you and yours stay safe during storm #4.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    If Dynamite made one Omnibus or two Deluxe volumes that contained the entire 33 issue run of the 2010 series that would be an instant purchase for me.
    Right now I'm just reading the trades but I'm thinking the same thing.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

@MajorHoy - sorry to hear about your weather situation. I have a good friend in both Philly and Boston and my Boston friend has been in the worse shape.
    I'm in Connecticut, about an hour northeast of New York City.

Hope things are getting back to normal and you're able to get to your LCS and get GH#1 soon!
    Funny thing is, the comic book shop I had been going to regularly closed in January. (The owner got a real job.) I've switched to another that's a little further inland, but won't be going there weekly. (Especially during winter; don't want to drive through part of that area with snow and everything!)

Best of luck with the next one MajorHoy, stay safe.

Got Green Hornet V. 2 #1 on Thursday; not really happy with the art, and the bit where everybody and their cousin is dressing up as and pretending to be The Green Hornet was a bit much. Still, since this was just a set-up issue, I'm hoping #2 will be better.

Oh, and it's suppose to snow AGAIN around these parts late tonight/early tomorrow, but isn't expected to amount to more than a few inches at most that's not suppose to hang around for very long.

Mighty Member

I was wondering when they would make a Green Hornet series that took place in the modern setting. I'll be sure to check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Black View Post
    I was wondering when they would make a Green Hornet series that took place in the modern setting. I'll be sure to check it out.
    I'm assuming you meant "again", since Dynamite had a present-day series that ran from 2010 to 2013 plus some mini-series for the present-day characters.

Mighty Member

I'm assuming you meant "again", since Dynamite had a present-day series that ran from 2010 to 2013 plus some mini-series for the present-day characters.
    That`s news to me.

GH 2 v2.jpg

Green Hornet #2 - Mulan's first actual action as the Green Hornet starts as you might expect. Some opposing mobs foot soldiers don't buy that she is the Green Hornet. Kato(her father) allows her to get a bit overworked while stating he had her back the whole time. Clutch, the mechanic(think Harold from 90s Batman run but hipper), gives Mulan grief for bringing Black Beauty 2.0 back so banged up.
    The Sentinel is being backed into a Buyout by a rival publisher while they are seemingly being scooped about this new Green Hornet. Britt Reid Jr is still MIA and Mulan and Tai are tasked with using all available resources of the Sentinel to find out more. So off to Istanbul they go to meet with the last person to see Britt alive. I'm drawing a blank on the name but he used to be a college roommate of Britts and both are/were in some secret 'Skulls/Crossbones' type outfit. Just as he's starting to explain that part to Mulan, queue up the dark dressed ninja operative. Fight ensues, the boat they are on....sunk. A mysterious boat pulls alongside Mulan, calls her by name and she and Tai jump in to see.....a darkly dressed and bearded Britt Reid Jr in a Kato type outfit.
    TO BE CONTINUED

Thoughts on this issue? Where the story might be going?

GH 2 v2.jpg

Green Hornet #2 - Mulan's first actual action as the Green Hornet starts as you might expect. Some opposing mobs foot soldiers don't buy that she is the Green Hornet. Kato(her father) allows her to get a bit overworked while stating he had her back the whole time. Clutch, the mechanic(think Harold from 90s Batman run but hipper), gives Mulan grief for bringing Black Beauty 2.0 back so banged up.
    The Sentinel is being backed into a Buyout by a rival publisher while they are seemingly being scooped about this new Green Hornet. Britt Reid Jr is still MIA and Mulan and Tai are tasked with using all available resources of the Sentinel to find out more. So off to Istanbul they go to meet with the last person to see Britt alive. I'm drawing a blank on the name but he used to be a college roommate of Britts and both are/were in some secret 'Skulls/Crossbones' type outfit. Just as he's starting to explain that part to Mulan, queue up the dark dressed ninja operative. Fight ensues, the boat they are on....sunk. A mysterious boat pulls alongside Mulan, calls her by name and she and Tai jump in to see.....a darkly dressed and bearded Britt Reid Jr in a Kato type outfit.
    TO BE CONTINUED

Thoughts on this issue? Where the story might be going?
    I really enjoyed the issue. I wonder if Britt Jr. is planning on taking on the Kato role to Mulan's Green Hornet. He is wearing a very Kato type outfit at the end of the issue, like you pointed out, and the synopsis at the end of the issue indicates that he is refusing to reclaim the Green Hornet mantle. Could be an interesting turn of events if it happens. I also wonder about who OKO is and what their game is?