Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Batman #43 preview

Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

Fantastic Member

I enjoyed the last last issue even though it was predictable and silly. I'm looking forward to this issue too knowing it will be predictable and silly.

Whats everyones prediction for this issue then!

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Well, based on King's interview on Word Balloon, he's going to try to use Harley as a wedge in Ivy's psyche, because Ivy loves Harley. So I predict that will either work, in which case Batman will convince Ivy that Harley needs to be free to truly love Ivy (the classic free will debate in theology) or it will fail, and Catwoman will convince Ivy.

Forgot to say - I think the issue looks pretty good! Character stuff, fun looking art, really nice colors!
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    Well, based on King's interview on Word Balloon, he's going to try to use Harley as a wedge in Ivy's psyche, because Ivy loves Harley. So I predict that will either work, in which case Batman will convince Ivy that Harley needs to be free to truly love Ivy (the classic free will debate in theology) or it will fail, and Catwoman will convince Ivy.

Forgot to say - I think the issue looks pretty good! Character stuff, fun looking art, really nice colors!
    I think it will be a bit of both. Considering there was a hint last issue that Ivy didn't sound like herself (in that she was using excuses that someone else had given her perhaps, not that someone was actually speaking for her.... comics are weird that I have to actually distinguish between the two situations!), and that will lead to the next arc. My guess is that Batman's wedge works in saving from this particular event, but Catwoman's discussion with Ivy discovers what put her up to this and leads them to...

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

I'm just not feeling this storyarc
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

I have really no interest in this story because the is OP level power. The JLU episode that did that ended with the Batman holding hands with the the character *forgot name until she died and everything returned to normal. Pushing Ivy's story beyond the city limits is overreaching as this should obviously require a crossover as not even Darkseid War engulfed all of Earth. Batman Main Book needs to show more respect to the people and superheroes outside of the city. This should have been confined to Gotham City.

Quote Originally Posted by DGraysonWorldsGreatestSpy View Post
    I have really no interest in this story because the is OP level power. The JLU episode that did that ended with the Batman holding hands with the the character *forgot name until she died and everything returned to normal. Pushing Ivy's story beyond the city limits is overreaching as this should obviously require a crossover as not even Darkseid War engulfed all of Earth. Batman Main Book needs to show more respect to the people and superheroes outside of the city. This should have been confined to Gotham City.
    Ah, the psychic girl who's power kept growing until she could low level warp reality.

But with Ivy tapping into the Green, and probably using some new strain of plant or pollen or something, I could see this happening. I mean there is a type of fungus that essentially turns ants into zombies so they eaten and what not. Ivy just pushed the scale up past 11.

Itll be interesting to see how Harley reacts to all this after she gets her mind back.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Ah, the psychic girl who's power kept growing until she could low level warp reality.

But with Ivy tapping into the Green, and probably using some new strain of plant or pollen or something, I could see this happening. I mean there is a type of fungus that essentially turns ants into zombies so they eaten and what not. Ivy just pushed the scale up past 11.
    This storyline has made me think about that fungus-ant thing too!

"When one of these insects gets infected by a certain fungus, it turns into a so-called “zombie ant” and is no longer in control of its actions. Manipulated by the parasite, an infected ant will leave the cozy confines of its arboreal home and head to the forest floor—an area more suitable for fungal growth. After parking itself on the underside of a leaf, the zombified ant anchors itself into place by chomping down onto the foliage. This marks the victim’s final act. From here, the fungus continues to grow and fester inside the ant’s body, eventually piercing through the ant’s head and releasing its fungal spores."

And fungus doesn't even have an individual consciousness and it is able to do that... it is almost like "the green" come to life actually. Fungus has been pretty popular in pop culture lately (mycelial networks....), I've been reading more about it than I ever thought I would without a grade dependant on it!

Ivy has a point in that it's hypocritical for Bruce to give sagely advice about hurt when he dresses up to literally hurt people every night (and some days too). Interested to see where King is taking this.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by K Nikk View Post
    I think it will be a bit of both. Considering there was a hint last issue that Ivy didn't sound like herself (in that she was using excuses that someone else had given her perhaps, not that someone was actually speaking for her.... comics are weird that I have to actually distinguish between the two situations!), and that will lead to the next arc. My guess is that Batman's wedge works in saving from this particular event, but Catwoman's discussion with Ivy discovers what put her up to this and leads them to...
    I think that makes sense. That way King makes both characters important to the plot resolution.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Harley hopefully won't be too mad at Ivy but then again
    Its not like she didn't try to control everyone Bruce just got lucky and cured himself in time

Good things:
    -The art: Janin needed help with this issue, so they put Petrus for a few pages, nice decision, since he inked him previously so his style doesn’t disrupt the reading.
    -The whole dialogue between Bruce, Selina, Pam and Harley, especially how his engagement with Catwoman made Batman more understandable towards Ivy’s feelings for Quinn

Mixed:
    -Sometimes, it feels too forced to pleased the people (especially one person in particular imo) who criticized King’s take on Poison Ivy in the War of Jokes and Riddles. But, if I didn’t follow Tom King in Twitter, I wouldn’t have felt that way, so no big deal personally.

Bad:
    -Not going back or at least answer what happened with the guy who couldn’t eat green, hence, be mind controlled
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

This issue perfectly sets up a Gotham City Sirens relaunch.