Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member TooFlyToFail's Avatar

- Oprah = Granny Goodness...because yes.

- Oscar Isaac or Christian Bale = Scott Free

- Michael Fassbender, Armie Hammer, Garrett Hedlund, Liev
    Schreiber, or Travis Fimmel = Orion

- a tall, likely thick, dark-skinned, unknown, black actress handpicked by Ava = Barda

- Ian McShane = Darseid

- Ray Stevenson = Highfather

Quote Originally Posted by TooFlyToFail View Post
    - Oprah = Granny Goodness...because yes.

- Oscar Isaac or Christian Bale = Scott Free

- Michael Fassbender, Armie Hammer, Garrett Hedlund, Liev
    Schreiber, or Travis Fimmel = Orion

- a tall, likely thick, dark-skinned, unknown, black actress handpicked by Ava = Barda

- Ian McShane = Darseid

- Ray Stevenson = Highfather
    Normally I’m not bothered by changing a character’s race for the movie adaptation but I would be upset if they did it for the New Gods. It’s just something that I really want to see adapted on the big screen to look like it was lifted from Kirby’s pages. I really don’t want them to change Scott, Barda, or Orion. Besides there are already black characters in the New Gods mythology. I think the Black Racer should play a big role in the movie as he’s one of the only things Darkseid fears. They could also include Shilo Norman as Scott’s protege.

Astonishing Member TooFlyToFail's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Normally I’m not bothered by changing a character’s race for the movie adaptation but I would be upset if they did it for the New Gods. It’s just something that I really want to see adapted on the big screen to look like it was lifted from Kirby’s pages. I really don’t want them to change Scott, Barda, or Orion. Besides there are already black characters in the New Gods mythology. I think the Black Racer should play a big role in the movie as he’s one of the only things Darkseid fears. They could also include Shilo Norman as Scott’s protege.
    I just don't care in general, unless the race ties to a characteristic of the character. Oscar Isaac, Oprah, and whatever black actress we know Ava will cast as Barda doesn't change their characters in anyway.

I also see Ava using the updated designs of most of these characters. If this ends up being a series of movies, why use the Black Racer in the first movie?

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Normally I’m not bothered by changing a character’s race for the movie adaptation but I would be upset if they did it for the New Gods. It’s just something that I really want to see adapted on the big screen to look like it was lifted from Kirby’s pages.
    Kirby doesn't approve of this post.

BANNED

No, the problem us the fact that the studio keeps panicking, and interfering. It fasttracked everything, while second guessing everything.

BvS was a climax without the build up movies. MoS2, prequel Batman, and WW, all should've happened prior to BvS. That allows these new iterations of the characters to be clearly established, prior to their clash.

Do you have some behind the scenes knowledge about this "interference?" Who did the interfering, and who got interfered with? What was good but then got changed into something bad?

And tell me about a movie that has had a crappy script and was any good. If there's no script, then there's no movie. The script should never be an afterthought. It should always come first.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Not many, to be fair. This is simply the way Hollywood works. Marvel Studio's laser-like focus, longterm planning and high success rate is the anomaly, not the way things usually work there

In comparison, the DCEU has been relatively stable, with various different projects in development waiting for the right creative team to generate enough interest to get a green light.
    When I look at the Wikipedia page on the DCEU I see 5 upcoming films with another 18 films in development. To me WB has no focus and is in rush mode which hurt some of their films IMO. Of course getting Zack Snyder didn't help either. To me it's all lip service and I only want DC films announced when it's definite.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    Again, the article said quite plainly, this is not part of the DCEU and is the first of a new way of doing things under the new leadership where the DC movies are separate entities not part of a shared universe. Here's the relevant bit in the Deadline article...

This isn't a DCEU film, it's a freestanding DC movie unconnected to the others.

-M
    Movie is listed on the Wikipedia page in the DCEU section. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DC_Extended_Universe

It's also hinted that if it's a success there's potential crossovers with the some of the DCEU https://www.cbr.com/new-gods-movie-dc-universe/.

Either way WB/DCEU seems aimless to me.

I would be more excited if I didn’t read interview where sounds like it Big Barda movie in disguise instead of full on proper New Gods film or I wanted was see Orion and Darkseid on big screen.

Given that rest of DC films so far been either terrible or rubbish with them having only one good film so far not giving me much hope in This.
    Last edited by zoch; 03-16-2018 at 01:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by zoch View Post
    I would be more excited if I didn’t read interview where sounds like it Big Barda movie in disguise instead of full on proper New Gods film or I wanted was see Orion and Darkseid on big screen.

Given that rest DC films so far been either terrible or rubbish with them having only one good film so far not giving me much hope in This.
    Well, the one good film had a female director and female lead like a Duvernay directed New Gods film starring Big Barda so...

Also, Barda and Scott Free are more popular than Orion, so it makes sense to focus on them over him. Darkseid will be introduced and set up for sure though.

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Well, the one good film had a female director and female lead like a Duvernay directed New Gods film starring Big Barda so...

Also, Barda and Scott Free are more popular than Orion, so it makes sense to focus on them over him. Darkseid will be introduced and set up for sure though.
    That debatable who more popular I guess either way I like all New Gods I would rather have Orion or even Scott as Leads of movie hence me being less excited about this that and DC track record so far with there movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    When I look at the Wikipedia page on the DCEU I see 5 upcoming films with another 18 films in development. To me WB has no focus and is in rush mode which hurt some of their films IMO. Of course getting Zack Snyder didn't help either. To me it's all lip service and I only want DC films announced when it's definite.
    What would be your ideal number of films in development? For example, how many films does Disney have in development. And where did you find this list of 18 films from?
    Who is doing the announcements? Is this from an official source at Warner Bros., preferably a Warner Bros. website?

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Your second paragraph contradicts your first.
    No, it doesn't.

There's a wide difference between a committee of studio executives with a clip board and IP check list and a talented screenwriter working with a director (or being the same person!).

Kirby's Fourth World is so rich and wonderful, it can't be made by a group of business executives.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 03-16-2018 at 04:26 AM.

Sadly, I can't say I'm surprised at the amount of racially tinged venom directed at DuVernay in the comments thread of the linked article.

Anyway...

In a fantasy world where this movie actually happens and turns out good, I see Grace Zabriskie as Granny. I know it won't happen, but I think that would be spectacular.

I like the Ian McShane suggestion above. Every movie can use more Ian McShane.

New Gods needs visionary weirdness out the whazoo, not corporate franchise-whoring. I wouldn't bet any money on this working out happily, regardless of who directs.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Wha? Of bloody course the New Gods are about people. What crazy New Gods comics have you been reading? I bet they're those horrible Jim Starlin ones.
    Depends on whether you see gods as people.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Depends on whether you see gods as people.
    Kirby's New Gods books are full of puny humans.

Also, Thor and Loki aren't people? Barda and Scott Free? The Forever People?