Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    IMO, he's merely nature over nurture. He's the agent of change, not the dynamic character. YMMV, ofc.
    Nature over nurture is one of the biggest things on the New Gods, with Orion and Scott. If nature is the decisive factor, Orion would be evil, if nurture is the decisive factor Scott would be evil. But they are both good. The only possible answer is that they both chose to be good instead of evil.
    Last edited by Ra-El; 03-16-2018 at 08:53 AM.

Is it confirmed? Or she is in talks?

I will be very happy to see this happen.

I'll give this to Ava, she certainly swings for the fences. I don't know if this is such a good idea. I love the new gods, but they have a hard time sticking even among us fans, they're too big, too bold, too weird the average movie goes might not be all that into them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ra-El View Post
    Nature over nurture is one of the biggest things on the New Gods, with Orion and Scott. If nature is the decisive factor, Orion would be evil, if nurture is the decisive factor Scott would be evil. But they are both good. The only possible answer is that they both chose to be good instead of evil.
    Yes, Orion struggles against his evil nature in favor of a good nurture. Scott defies his evil nurturing to acknowledge and exemplify his good nature. Both are granted the advantage of a goodness.

BARDA chooses to defy her nurture AND nature to exemplify a completely new self-image --based around the impact of interaction with Scott. THAT is entirely novel, and entirely heroic.

If Duvernay doesn't double down on that dynamic character element, I will be shocked and awed.

This film is a no-brainer to me, assuming Warner Bros. is serious about building the DCEU in a meaningful way.

But as others have said, I'll believe it when I see it.

Also not too thrilled about Ava DuVernay tentatively named as the director. Not that she's bad, but from what I've seen and heard of a A Wrinkle in Time, I'm not exactly convinced she's made out for big-budget, special effects-driven films.
    Batman: I need your help finding a man named Vulko.
    Hawkman: You want him dead or alive?
    - Justice League #17

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    I don't know if this is such a good idea. I love the new gods, but they have a hard time sticking even among us fans, they're too big, too bold, too weird the average movie goes might not be all that into them.
    All this could have been said about Black Panther a couple of years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    Yes, Orion struggles against his evil nature in favor of a good nurture. Scott defies his evil nurturing to acknowledge and exemplify his good nature. Both are granted the advantage of a goodness.

BARDA chooses to defy her nurture AND nature to exemplify a completely new self-image --based around the impact of interaction with Scott. THAT is entirely novel, and entirely heroic.

If Duvernay doesn't double down on that dynamic character element, I will be shocked and awed.
    The thing that I think Kirby wanted to show is, that doesn't matter where you're born or raised, in the end it's up to everyone to chose between good and evil. The best and simplest way to exemplify this choice is with the story of Orion and Scott Free.

I don’t know if they could possibly tell the New Gods saga in one movie. This needs to be like LotR. But knowing WB they’ll probably try to fit in all in a 2 hour run time.

They could probably sum up the Old Gods war that created the Fourth World pretty quickly. From there a summation of the escalating war between New Genesis and Apokolips. All leading to The Pact. So the movie could follow the lives of Scott, Barda, and Orion. Ending the first movie with Scott and Barda escaping. The second movie should be about the war spreading to earth.

They were able to sum up the first part pretty well on Superman TAS

Last edited by Robotman; 03-16-2018 at 11:07 AM.

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

This fills me with trepidation to be honest. It shouldn't but it does.

If done properly, over maybe a trilogy rather than just a standalone movie, we'd be potentially talking some of the greatest CBM movies ever made.

It's WB though, who I don't trust enough not to make a spectacular mess of films that would subsequently sink like a trace. I'd rather a property not get developed at all than that happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Ra-El View Post
    The thing that I think Kirby wanted to show is, that doesn't matter where you're born or raised, in the end it's up to everyone to chose between good and evil. The best and simplest way to exemplify this choice is with the story of Orion and Scott Free.
    I'm not so sure about that. It was easy for Orion to choose good because he was loved and taken care of. Scott Free didn't even have a choice. He had to believe in good because in order to survive he knew that something, anything, had to be better than his life on Apokolips.

It was Barda who had to make the hardest choice. She was primed to become a well-respected, decorated and feared hero, but she chose to reject all of that simply because she believed in Scott and decided that none of it was worth more than him.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    I don’t know if they could possibly tell the New Gods saga in one movie. This needs to be like LotR. But knowing WB they’ll probably try to fit in all in a 2 hour run time.

They could probably sum up the Old Gods war that created the Fourth World pretty quickly. From there a summation of the escalating war between New Genesis and Apokolips. All leading to The Pact. So the movie could follow the lives of Scott, Barda, and Orion. Ending the first movie with Scott and Barda escaping. The second movie should be about the war spreading to earth.

They were able to sum up the first part pretty well on Superman TAS

If they can give Watchmen three hours... they can give New Gods three hours.

I wonder if it will consolidate Orion, Mister Miracle and the Forever People into one group that comes to Earth, instead of seperately.

Of course, there's all kinds of ways to get the ball rolling. It could start with Mister Miracle arriving on Earth and taking up his name. And Orion sent by Highfather to find him after word of his escape reaches New Genesis, with the Forever People secretly following, and unknowingly leading the Female Furies right to Scott.
    The Furies send word to Darkseid who sends Mantis and the Parademons, Barda betrays them, Scott and Barda are captured and taken to Apokolips, last half of film is the 'assault on Death Star/free the Princess' where Orion, Lightray and the Forever People go to save them and fight Kalibak, Steppenwolf and more Parademons.
    Sprinkle in some wise sayings from Highfather and Metron, some devious acts/torture by Desaad and Granny Goodness...
    End movie with a subtle cliffhanger with Glorious Godfrey and Amazing Grace talking with Darkseid that still wraps up the movie nicely in case there's not a sequel.
    And done.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

How about just keeping it simple and focusing on Barda and Miracle against the backdrop of all the world building, and reserving most of the New Genesis and Orion stuff for sequels?

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    How about just keeping it simple and focusing on Barda and Miracle against the backdrop of all the world building, and reserving most of the New Genesis and Orion stuff for sequels?
    That could work, too, but if you're gonna do Kirby's masterpiece, you need to have something that speaks about struggling against corruption, totalitarian authority, the impact of propaganda, and the power of youth.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Just give me Matt Bomer as Scott Free and I'll be happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    This is the best solution, and the best New God myth to tell.