• Yes

52 37.41%
  • No

76 54.68%
  • Unsure / No Opinion

11 7.91%
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Default Have Marvel's movies gotten too jokey?

What do you think?

The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar

Well one guy I know said somethin like that on his a video of his but I am at times not sure what to think about it myself though he give good writing tips:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-QhdzQo66o
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

BANNED

I honestly preferred the tone of the first Thor movies compared to the last. But that's an unpopular opinion and given the reception of Loki in Avengers a more jokey take on the character seemed to be more of a fan appeal.

I think Dr. Strange, Black Panther and the Winter Soldier handled they're tones real well probably given none of them were advertised as "funniest MCU film yet" like say GOTG, Ragnarok or Ant-Man.

Depends on the film honestly. Personally I don't mind quips but I don't care much for comedy all throughout a superhero film. Characters like Deadpool and Harley being exceptions given their premise

Spectacular Member

Most friends and co-workers banter and quip with each other. That's pretty normal.
    Last edited by nickytesla96; 03-16-2018 at 09:56 AM.
    Floppies as of November: Adventures of the Super Sons, Batman, Catwoman, The Green Lantern, Black Panther, Dead Man Logan, Domino, Exiles, Iceman, Immortal Hulk
    Digital as of November: Daughters of the Dragon, Iron Fist: Phantom Limb, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage.

Quote Originally Posted by MadFacedKid View Post

Depends on the film honestly. Personally I don't mind quips but I don't care much for comedy all throughout a superhero film. Characters like Deadpool and Harley being exceptions given their premise
    I feel this way as well.

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

The general public likes them to be funny.

Incredible Member

I did not find Black Panther too jokey at all. It had a few funny lines but wasn't overboard like Thor Ragnarok was.

they have gotten so jokey that now DC has to compensate and introduce jokes.

New hero movies are sitcoms.

Frankly...it depends. I think that each property has to be evaluated and done properly. I think Thor: Ragnarok probably went a little far with the jokes--placing them after some greatly emotional beats when it would've just been better to let the audience sit in that. However, I think Marvel has gotten considerably better at determining which tone works with which character.

The Captain America movies were more serious than the Guardians of the Galaxy ones. That's appropriate because Captain America is much more of a serious, boy-scout-like guy. Spider-Man: Homecoming worked as a teen comedy given the main character's nature and the place he exists. It just depends on the property I think. So I'd have to personally evaluate each movie rather than making a blanket statement as such.
    With Great Power, Comes Great Responsibility

Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Some of them maybe. Thor Ragnarok is a good example while it felt fitting in Guardians 2.

But Black Panther didn't do that and Infinity War will be pretty tragic as was Civil War.
    So I think they balance it out pretty well.
    "̶l̶̶e̶̶t̶'̶s̶̶ ̶̶h̶̶a̶̶v̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶o̶̶m̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶f̶̶u̶̶n̶̶,̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶h̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶b̶̶e̶̶a̶̶t̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶.̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶ ̶̶w̶̶a̶̶n̶̶n̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶a̶̶k̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶r̶̶i̶̶d̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶o̶̶n̶̶ ̶̶y̶̶o̶̶u̶̶r̶̶ ̶̶d̶̶i̶̶s̶̶c̶̶o̶̶s̶̶t̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶"
    "Let's have some fun, this riff is sick. I wanna mosh around in the Circle Pit!"

Matt's Stuff [Blog]: Star Wars Visions: Ranked
    Matt Eduardson [YT]: Palpatine's Return - Dark Empire VS The Rise of Skywalker

My Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Matternativ View Post
    Some of them maybe. Thor Ragnarok is a good example while it felt fitting in Guardians 2.
    Personally I thought Guardians 2 went a little more overboard with it then the first movie did, especially on some jokes.

I think people forget that real people have other emotions other than anger and hatred.
    Showing characters with a side of humor make them feel more well rounded and help to add contrast to the serious moments.

Just like romance has a place in superhero stories.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Spectacular Member

They could definitely tone it down with the levity. Not get rid of it altogether, but tone it down.

As someone else has mentioned, the humor is probably a big draw for the casual audience. But Ragnarok definitely tipped the scales too much for me.

Here's to hoping they don't undercut the most dramatic moments of Infinity War with jokes

Amazing Member

Winter Soldier struck a perfect balance, Ragnarok and GotG 2 went overboard

Some of them, yes. I really did not like as much humour for Thor: Ragnarok. There were a lot of parts during that movie that it felt like the jokes were coming at the expense of some really serious moments and it was poorly placed. I honestly did not need that joke at the end by Korg when Surter was doing his thing.

For as strong of an ending that GotG, Volume 2 had...I felt much of what led to that ending was filled with jokes that weren't that funny, IMO.

However, there are movies like the Captain America trilogy, Iron Man, Black Panther, Avengers (yes, the first one), the first Thor, Guardians of the Galaxy and Ant-Man, where the jokes were present but were pitch-perfect IMO. There weren't any jokes in any of those movies that felt out of place and plenty of moments that are funny. I would always use those movies as a counter-point to say that Marvel movies can be funny without being annoying.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/