• Yes

52 37.41%
  • No

76 54.68%
  • Unsure / No Opinion

11 7.91%
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Guardians vol. 2 tried to be too funny, it felt forced and flat.

Thor Ragnarok was like slapstick, funny yes, but inappropriate.

The rest handled it pretty well...

In addition to what some folks have mentioned about the "Drama" component, Yondu and Gamora's stories(never mind Nebula) absolutely have a large dramatic component.

Even though there was totally a big dollop of humor in it the Yondu/Rockett part of the second film was largely dramatic.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MadFacedKid View Post
    I honestly preferred the tone of the first Thor movies compared to the last. But that's an unpopular opinion and given the reception of Loki in Avengers a more jokey take on the character seemed to be more of a fan appeal.

I think Dr. Strange, Black Panther and the Winter Soldier handled they're tones real well probably given none of them were advertised as "funniest MCU film yet" like say GOTG, Ragnarok or Ant-Man.

Depends on the film honestly. Personally I don't mind quips but I don't care much for comedy all throughout a superhero film. Characters like Deadpool and Harley being exceptions given their premise
    Preferring the tone of the first thor movie to the last is not an unpopular opinion unless the truth is shunned. the tone of the first thor should have been used for the last thor. this is truthful because they were making a ragnarok movie that would have worked better with the tone of the first movie.

Not in general but Ragnarok did suffer from undercutting every emotional beat with humour which was both entertaining and disappointing. I would prefer the movie screenwriters actually spent more time getting the tone of Thor right than giving up and handing the project to a comedic director.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandfall View Post
    Preferring the tone of the first thor movie to the last is not an unpopular opinion unless the truth is shunned. the tone of the first thor should have been used for the last thor. this is truthful because they were making a ragnarok movie that would have worked better with the tone of the first movie.
    Maybe the 'tone' but the first Thor movie was hardly a good place to start. I would reboot Thor. Which I suppose is technically what they did with Ragnarok but they just chose the wrong reboot.

Yes they have and it's getting rather annoying.

I'm just confused why this is suddenly popping up now. Why? Is it because of the latest Infinity War trailer?

I like jokey superhero movies. The silly aspects of the genre become way too obvious on film. So you can try to play them straight (which doesn't work for me as an adult), expunge them (and move away from the source material) or embrace the comedy.

Thor 3 and the GotGs all have problems but they're probably my favorite Marvel movies, in great part because of the humor.

Funnily though, I don't like most jokes in comic books these days. Maybe I don't share the writers' sense of humor (the "random cuteness" pervasive in female-led titles for example, or the Bendis-style ramblings fall completely flat for me). Maybe it's the medium (it's probably harder for a single writer to deliver quality humor on a monthly basis, with no actor to sell it).
    Last edited by Lutecius; 03-17-2018 at 06:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MadFacedKid View Post
    I honestly preferred the tone of the first Thor movies compared to the last. But that's an unpopular opinion and given the reception of Loki in Avengers a more jokey take on the character seemed to be more of a fan appeal.

I think Dr. Strange, Black Panther and the Winter Soldier handled they're tones real well probably given none of them were advertised as "funniest MCU film yet" like say GOTG, Ragnarok or Ant-Man.

Depends on the film honestly. Personally I don't mind quips but I don't care much for comedy all throughout a superhero film. Characters like Deadpool and Harley being exceptions given their premise
    Pretty much this. The Panther film (as well as Strange and Winter Solider) proved you can make a successful, entertaining film that has a more serious tone.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandfall View Post
    I liked the direction of the first Thor. I can imagine given the significantly larger warchest the MCU has acquired it would be interesting to see what Branagh could do with a deeper budget.

I wouldn't say humor in general weakens Marvel movies so much as specifically bathos. This video details what bathos is:

The video mentions Spider-Man II as an example of a movie that is NOT infected with bathos. Note that this doesn't mean that the movie lacks humor. There is plenty of humor in Spider-Man II. But the humor is never used at moments where it would destroy drama. Humor that pops up in moments that should have a gravitas, and which destroys that gravitas, is bathos, and it's become the main weakness of the Marvel movies. Not enough to ruin them, but enough to make them much less than they should be.

"Coco" has plenty of humor, and indeed is basically a comedy. Yet it is refreshingly free of bathos. Those moments of drama and pain are utterly heartfelt, and shamelessly sincere. A good movie can be a comedy, yet also be shamelessly sincere and free of bathos. "Coco" understands this. Most Marvel movies do not.

The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    I wouldn't say humor in general weakens Marvel movies so much as specifically bathos. This video details what bathos is:

The video mentions Spider-Man II as an example of a movie that is NOT infected with bathos. Note that this doesn't mean that the movie lacks humor. There is plenty of humor in Spider-Man II. But the humor is never used at moments where it would destroy drama. Humor that pops up in moments that should have a gravitas, and which destroys that gravitas, is bathos, and it's become the main weakness of the Marvel movies. Not enough to ruin them, but enough to make them much less than they should be.

"Coco" has plenty of humor, and indeed is basically a comedy. Yet it is refreshingly free of bathos. Those moments of drama and pain are utterly heartfelt, and shamelessly sincere. A good movie can be a comedy, yet also be shamelessly sincere and free of bathos. "Coco" understands this. Most Marvel movies do not.
    That's the video I posted here. it gives good writing tips and makes one wonder whether the potentially excessive humour is a sign that the directors might be lacking in confidence with their vision so they create a bad version of the way Joss Whedon did things. As I try to look at the moment where Doctor Strange gets his cloak on I find myself wondering and trying to apply the lessons in the film to that scene to see whether I could make it more dramatically honest i found myself unable to which mad eme wonder is that why Strange had his big moment undercut by a joke? The guy also has a video about Black Panther and you would surprised everything he talks about does address certain issue with Marvel movies too simplistic or being prone to overusing jokes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anndNbRjOeE
    Last edited by The Dying Detective; 03-17-2018 at 06:54 AM.
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

Quote Originally Posted by HaveAtThee View Post
    I liked the direction of the first Thor. I can imagine given the significantly larger warchest the MCU has acquired it would be interesting to see what Branagh could do with a deeper budget.
    He would need a much better script than last time IMO. But I wanted him to retain his directorship for the second movie so I have to agree.

Marvel uses a formula to maximize viewership. The formula is genuinely financially successful but we're also discussing narrative qualities of films. Financial success doesn't always mean the film has a meaningful narrative or a solid script. Totally agree with Patty Jenkins in her quote within the video.

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    He would need a much better script than last time IMO. But I wanted him to retain his directorship for the second movie so I have to agree.
    Oh I agree. But the first film was a decent start and you could build off that.

I'm trying to imagine what the second film could have been like if they retained Patty Jenkins instead of going through multiple scripts and edits.

I don't think Marvel ever really had the cojones to address the unique narrative of the Asgard mythos. Instead they settled for treating them as just a bunch of powerful, goofy aliens. Even their basic speech pattern devolved over the course of the films to the point where they sound like regular people. By the time Ragnarok was released and they were tossing around "god" it felt more like an affectation than an actual identity or race.