Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112
    I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    I think Cass and Staph runs were quite well written, as was the Simone new 52 Run.
    The current Batgirl run is quite cringy and Batgirl and the Birds of Prey is imo nowhere near the level of the original Run.

Btw. I think the exceptions you have on a book based on the previous runs might also be a reason for the low sales. And I don't think that Barbara's current books match these.
    I agree on Cass and Steph (at least Cass's first three years). I wasn't super impressed with Simone's n52 Batgirl, but that's partly because I really dislike a lot of the artists who did it.

I agree that Larson's run, which I actually think started out okay, devolved after six months into a puerile, preachy, and ultimately really repetitive mess. And even though I liked Batgirl and the Birds of Prey, I completely agree that it wasn't as good as Dixon or Simone's work (though I liked it a lot better than the n52 version, which didn't feel like the Birds whatsoever).

Do you mean expectations? Because I do think that Steph and Cass set fairly high bars for writing and art, as do the original Birds of Prey run, Batgirl Year One, and several other titles featuring or starring Babs or the other girls. And whenever I ask someone if they really think that the Burnside or Larson runs match the previous Batgirl's, either they point to Babs Tarr's art (which was really good for the first trade, but it got a bit lazy in the last half of the run) or assert that the constant string of shallow villains and supporting cast are actually deep...which is not convincing to me at all.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    Do you mean expectations?
    At least I expect when they announce a new run of a book, that it will in terms of direction and quality be similar to the previous. That means for me in case of Birds of Prey something that comes at least close to the original (which is of course quite a high standard), and that was here not the case imo.

Actually both of Barbara's books in Rebirth were neither in writing nor in art (I'm not really into the "Burnside" style) really on the level that I'm used to from the Bat-Books.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    At least I expect when they announce a new run of a book, that it will in terms of direction and quality be similar to the previous. That means for me in case of Birds of Prey something that comes at least close to the original (which is of course quite a high standard), and that was here not the case imo.

Actually both of Barbara's books in Rebirth were neither in writing nor in art (I'm not really into the "Burnside" style) really on the level that I'm used to from the Bat-Books.
    Well, I really like both Claire Roe and Roge Antonio, but the former didn't have the ability to keep a monthly schedule, and her art degraded in her last few issues, and the latter also degraded quite a bit from his best quality work. Before Rebirth, Antonio was an artist I wanted to get an ongoing. But from his Birds of Prey stuff, I don't know that he's quite ready for a monthly.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Extraordinary Member

After reading "BLACK LIGHTNING/HONG KONG PHOOEY SPECIAL" I can't say that I'm excited for this. It was imo the weakest of the 4 specials, and you could have probably taken Black Lighting out of the story (or just replaced him with basically every other character) without that it would have made any difference.

On the other hand putting Black Lighting in that team up was kind of an odd choice since he isn't really a character with a strong background in martial arts, but he really needs stronger take on that character in TEC (and possibly Outsiders).
    Last edited by Aahz; 06-10-2018 at 01:42 PM.