Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Default What do you guys think of The Olympian?

So like the title what do you think of him? I think his name was Achilles and he debuted in Simone's run. I really liked him. I thought he would be cool to be apart of Wonder Woman supporting characters. I also liked when he helped the Outsiders. I was honestly hoping he would show up but we got Jason instead .

::raises hand as an Achilles Warkiller fan and wishes he would return regardless of Jason’s status::

Not much...I hope after this run he never reappears again.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    Not much...I hope after this run he never reappears again.

I totally agree. Simone's Olympian was rather boring. I much prefer the Olympian from the Global Guardians.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Absolute Power, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Birds of Prey, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Justice Society of America, Shazam, Titans, & Wonder Woman.

An Olympian (of some sort) has been a male, mystically powered ally of Wonder Woman, since the DC Comics Presents comic, in the pre-Crisis 1980s.

As of WW #35, there appears to be TWO Olympians, presently. I am assuming that Achilles has (1) never existed or assumed the 'Olympian' mantle in Rebirth continuity, (2) ceased calling himself 'the Olympian' and chosen another name ..or (3) returned to his native isle of Thalarion, ..after which original Olympian, Aristides Demetrios, reclaimed the mantle.

Incidentally, I never thought Gail Simone's Achilles needed to be the 'Olympian', in the first place, since his being Achilles was a sufficient to badassery. As I recall, he was a reincarnation, in fire, sand and gore, of the classical Achilles - called naked from enchanted flames, by Zeus, fully grown, super-powered and virtually invulnerable. Whether Achilles or classical Jason was king of Thalarion (the White Isle) - in myth, a kind of Valhalla for classical Greek heroes - was never clear to me. Olympian or not, Gail's Achilles rode around half-naked and dripping in magical armor and weapons, on a flying elephant - he was very, very cool...

Except for that costume. It's like he mugged an understudy for the Broadway show, The Lion King. The head-dress alone, intended to resemble a lion, but looked more like a screaming CHICKEN...it was horrible. Horrible!

For my money, Prince Jason will make a fine, third (and hopefully, final) Olympian, if that is his destiny. When you consider that DC Comics has a copyright and/or trademark for the name, and that it has to keep it in publication, if it wants to keep it out of the public domain, ..I don't find Jason assuming the mantle so objectionable. Why not?
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 03-16-2018 at 08:35 PM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

I actually like Aristedes as the Olympian and hope he returns. I loved when J. Torres brought him into the Wonder Girl mini series and had hoped DC would use him more often in WW. I liked Achilles some what but would have liked to see more done with him to give him more personality. Im (very very) slowly warming up to Jason. However, I do not want to see either Achilles or Jason adopt the Olympian name, but I can see DC having something like Aristedes retiring and giving the mantle to Jason. I would rather he take a different name, bring Achilles back and just call him that and keep Aristedes as Olympian. I dont see why we cant have all three in the DC Universe.

I think I just miss Mysia, Achilles's three-eyed, two-trunked flying elephant, too.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    I think I just miss Mysia, Achilles's three-eyed, two-trunked flying elephant, too.
    Very true that. She was awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    Very true that. She was awesome.
    Somewhere I have a tale of Pegasus living on Themyscira and Diana and Pegasus riding into battle with Achilles on Mysia. Pegasus and Mysia would be devoted friends. [All due apologies to Jumpa the Kanga.]

(Ever since He-Man and She-Ra, I've loved the idea of super-powered pets helping out the heroes.)

BANNED

The original Olympian, last seen in actual action in a Wonder Girl minisseries of (help me out here folks) 2005 is, very much in vein of original characters personifying the champion of old archetypes in a new era like the Forgotten One, Freedom Beast, Wonder Woman or Captain Marvel (which is sligthy different than the actual champions of old being updated in the modern world like Thor or Hercules), a fantastic concept mostly terribly mis-used by the company. Terribly.

On paper, it`s a terrific powerset of a well known set of stories all together in one character that makes him a peer of other heavy hitters. On practise, he`s hardly known and just used as a measure stick. Still, just like Kirby`s Forgotten One, I fudging love the guy and he really needs a sort of mini in the hands of a Grant Morrison (he actually used him when Morrison returned to write the Justice League and had a badass moment in taking down the Manhaunter...with a space Disco throw!) so he can quirckly inject actual character in him as he briefly done to Beast in his Animal Man run.

Quote Originally Posted by Aioros22 View Post
    The original Olympian, last seen in actual action in a Wonder Girl minisseries of (help me out here folks) 2005 is, very much in vein of original characters personifying the champion of old archetypes in a new era like the Forgotten One, Freedom Beast, Wonder Woman or Captain Marvel (which is sligthy different than the actual champions of old being updated in the modern world like Thor or Hercules), a fantastic concept mostly terribly mis-used by the company. Terribly...
    I'm pretty sure that was the original Olympian getting his hairy bum handed to him by a minotaur, in WW #35. I liked him in the Wonder Girl mini, also. Maybe, he's still in play, as Olympian or something else, ..and we'll get to see him, again.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!