Fantastic Member

Default Like MCU's Captain America but...

I really like MCU's Captain America and because of that I wanted to read some Captain America. I started with Winter Soldier, which appears in most Best Captain America stories lists. However it didn't blow my mind, especially the ending. Are there any other suggestions for someone who likes how Captain America is depicted in the movies?

Quote Originally Posted by new_onslaught View Post
    I really like MCU's Captain America and because of that I wanted to read some Captain America. I started with Winter Soldier, which appears in most Best Captain America stories lists. However it didn't blow my mind, especially the ending. Are there any other suggestions for someone who likes how Captain America is depicted in the movies?
    I feel the same way. I didnt enjoy any Captain America comics, but he's probably my favorite MCU character. The second movie (Winter Soldier) is by far my favorite movie of the MCU.

I've read the whole Brubaker's run, which is suppose to be the best recent run on the character.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Magneto View Post
    I feel the same way. I didnt enjoy any Captain America comics, but he's probably my favorite MCU character. The second movie (Winter Soldier) is by far my favorite movie of the MCU.

I've read the whole Brubaker's run, which is suppose to be the best recent run on the character.
    Good t hear from some one with a similar point of view. How did you find the rest of Brubaker's run? Worth the read (including Bucky Cap)?

Good t hear from some one with a similar point of view. How did you find the rest of Brubaker's run? Worth the read (including Bucky Cap)?
    I read it in Ultimate Collections and IMO the story peaks with issues 22-42 collected as "The Death of Captain America". Which is all Bucky-Cap.
    It's one of my favourite runs of all time but I think that is because of Bucky. Brubaker wrote a way better Bucky then he did Cap.
    Current Pull: Lazarus, The Realm, Seven to Eternity, Aquaman, Flash, Justice League Dark, Justice League Odyssey, Sideways, Black Panther, Captain America, Daredevil, Death of the Inhumans.

Future Pull: Killmonger.

Well my favourite Cap run is the least MCU-ish one aka the one that lead up to Secret Empire.
    I heard the recent Waid one is very close to the MCU ideal, but I thought it was/is horrible so...
    Last edited by Matternativ; 03-17-2018 at 11:57 AM.
    "̶l̶̶e̶̶t̶'̶s̶̶ ̶̶h̶̶a̶̶v̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶o̶̶m̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶f̶̶u̶̶n̶̶,̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶h̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶b̶̶e̶̶a̶̶t̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶.̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶ ̶̶w̶̶a̶̶n̶̶n̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶a̶̶k̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶r̶̶i̶̶d̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶o̶̶n̶̶ ̶̶y̶̶o̶̶u̶̶r̶̶ ̶̶d̶̶i̶̶s̶̶c̶̶o̶̶s̶̶t̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶"
    "Let's have some fun, this riff is sick. I wanna mosh around in the Circle Pit!"

Matt's Stuff [Blog]: Star Wars Visions: Ranked
    Matt Eduardson [YT]: Palpatine's Return - Dark Empire VS The Rise of Skywalker

My Twitter

I'm not a big Cap fan, but I remember the Stern/Byrne run from the 80's being good.

Evans redefined the character for me. He's got an inexperience that I find charming; at least compared to someone like Fury.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

I'm not sure what you mean when you said you started with WS, as in you started reading the Winter Solder's run as Cap? But if you want to read some great Captain America stories, I would recommend the following:

-Captain America by Brubaker Cap vol.5 #1-50, 600-619, Vol.6 #1-19, Captain America & Bucky #620-628
    -Stern/Byrne run. This was a short run, but one of my favorites off all time. Cap vol.1 #247-255
    -J.M. DeMatteis/Mike Zeck Cap vol. 1 #261-264, 267-270, 272, 275-290, 292-300, Annual #6. I saw Zeck at a con about 5 years ago and wanted to get his book, but my son was pulling me away to go look at some other things, and by the time I got back around to Mike, I didn't have any money left.
    -Mark Gruenwald/Ron Lim/various Cap vol.1 #307-443, Annual #8
    -Remender/JRJR Cap vol.7 #1-25
    -Lee/Kirby/Steranko Cap vol.1 #100-113
    -Lee/Gene Colan Cap vol.1 #115-137
    Last edited by The Whovian; 03-17-2018 at 11:50 AM.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Whovian View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean when you said you started with WS, as in you started reading the Winter Solder's run as Cap? But if you want to read some great Captain America stories, I would recommend the following:

-Captain America by Brubaker Cap vol.5 #1-50, 600-619, Vol.6 #1-19, Captain America & Bucky #620-628
    -Stern/Byrne run. This was a short run, but one of my favorites off all time. Cap vol.1 #247-255
    -J.M. DeMatteis/Mike Zeck Cap vol. 1 #261-264, 267-270, 272, 275-290, 292-300, Annual #6. I saw Zeck at a con about 5 years ago and wanted to get his book, but my son was pulling me away to go look at some other things, and by the time I got back around to Mike, I didn't have any money left.
    -Mark Gruenwald/Ron Lim/various Cap vol.1 #307-443, Annual #8
    -Remender/JRJR Cap vol.7 #1-25
    -Lee/Kirby/Steranko Cap vol.1 #100-113
    -Lee/Gene Colan Cap vol.1 #115-137
    Thanks for the suggestions. By Winter Soldier I mean the first storyline of Brubaker's run.
    Out of these suggestions are any where Cap is similar to MCU's Cap?