Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Question regarding Cyclops in Secret Wars.

I think I stopped reading Secret Wars around issue 4 or 5, so I still have no clue what happened with Cyclops in that event.

The whole Phoenix egg thing... I didn’t understand. Bendis final story, issue 600, ends in a totally different way from what we saw in SW.

Then there’s the whole 8 months gap that still makes no sense.

So my question is, did it really make no sense or is there a line to follow in order to understand what happened?

Incredible Member StephenFoxMonster's Avatar

They didn't care about issue 600. It was clear the moment you read SW and then when they ignoring it for Death of X.

BANNED

Different writers and different plans, I think Hickman had a plan that involved teen Jeen, Cyclops and the Phoenix egg but apparently editorial forced him to drop it

All I remember from that time was The Last Will and Testament of Charles Xavier going on f o r e v e r.

I like the premise of that event, but I hated the ending. It destroyed tempus as a character.

Not to mention that Bendis had Ultimate End which had a Scott in it while Scott was Phoenix in Hickman’s book.

BANNED

Bendis spent nearly a year with that "Testament of Charles Xavier" stuff, and, apparently, Hickman wanted to make Scott a complete villain.
    So I chose not to read Secret Wars and drop the X-books after Uncanny X-Men 600.
    And what came after the Secret Wars merely consolidated my decision: EXM, M-Pox, DoX, IvX... ugh!

Quote Originally Posted by Hizashi View Post
    Not to mention that Bendis had Ultimate End which had a Scott in it while Scott was Phoenix in Hickman’s book.
    That's my out for Cyclops it was Ultimate's End/Kingdom of Manhattan's Cyclops who was near identical to 616 Cyclops was returned to the New 616 universe when it was recreated and he died in Death of X. Original Scott is out there somewhere

Amazing Member

Hickman's X-Nation could have been interesting if any kind of story was worked up for it -- ultimately it was a fraction of a tease which resulted in the first of Cyclops' three depicted deaths: undone death by Doom, fake death by Black Bolt, & actual death by Terrigen Mists. They really killed the hell out of the character. I mean, before he got killed again recently.

Quote Originally Posted by Hizashi View Post
    Yes, I had forgotten about that. I remember people saying that was a clone. So confusing...

BANNED

When Bendis still thought he would stay in Uncanny longer than Claremont, Nation X was part of his plans. Hickman showed that in his Avengers/New Avengers run and APPARENTLY intended Cyclops and Jeen to be in Secret Wars. My guess was he wanted to say Scott was training Jeen in secret so she could handle the Phoenix and save the world. In the end, though, it was just Scott and the Phoenix.
    I have mixed opinions on Hickman's portrayal of him. On one hand, I know he's a fan of the whole Summers family and killed him just to wank Doom a bit or else the story would be over by issue 4. That would be bad. On the other hand, the over the top dialogue was weird since we saw so little of Hickman's Scott except that he was done with the universe's bullshit (if only he knew what he would go through). He could have been handled better.
    That scene where he becomes the Phoenix host again, though. That was beautiful. Thank God for Ribic and Hickman.

Quote Originally Posted by RCX View Post
    Yes, I had forgotten about that. I remember people saying that was a clone. So confusing...
    Marvel didn’t care about continuity even when it concerned the biggest event that they’d had in years. One that felt earned, even. And they missed their chance to reboot everything.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wano View Post
    Different writers and different plans, I think Hickman had a plan that involved teen Jeen, Cyclops and the Phoenix egg but apparently editorial forced him to drop it
    I thought it was just something Hickman threw out there, hoping another writer would like it. And no one did.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RCX View Post
    I think I stopped reading Secret Wars around issue 4 or 5, so I still have no clue what happened with Cyclops in that event.

The whole Phoenix egg thing... I didn’t understand. Bendis final story, issue 600, ends in a totally different way from what we saw in SW.

Then there’s the whole 8 months gap that still makes no sense.

So my question is, did it really make no sense or is there a line to follow in order to understand what happened?
    Hickman had plans for X-Men to tie in with Secret Wars but Bendis was Bendis'ing so it never happened.

Uncanny X-Men ends with the mutant assembly and the 8 months for Time Runs Out; readers have to assume the X-Nation was formed at that time.

So when Cyclops-Phoenix got to Battleworld, he got completely ****ing rekt by God Doom and nothing happened after that.

X-Men & Green Lantern Fan Sam Robards, Comic Fan's Avatar

As others have said, things around that time were a mess, continuity-wise, and you really have to do some head-canon gymnastics in order to sync up the end of Uncanny X-Men 600, Hickman's two-page use of Cyclops in Time Runs Out and his appearance in Secret Wars. It's really all over the place.

That said, I loved Scott's SW Phoenix Costume. It's just too bad that Hickman only used him to show off what a "badass" Doom was. Ugh. I was so pissed when I read that.
    What can I say but, "I love comics."