Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Honestly, both runs feel like glorified fan fiction and now I miss Grant Morrison three times as much as I did when he left.

That being said, I have to choose Snyder. Court of Owls will pretty much go down as the most iconic Bat Story of the decade. Also, Greg Capullo's art was great.
    Last edited by TheBatman; 04-07-2018 at 09:09 PM.

Amazing Member

I've honestly enjoyed everything Scott Snyder has done, and loved Zero Year + Superheavy. I don't care for the direction Tom King is taking with the whole "Batman is mentally ill" deconstruction and Catwoman being the love of his life and one true source of happiness. I liked some of his quieter issues, like Annual #2, Rules of Engagement (mainly for the art), and Superfriends, but it's not really what I want out of a Batman story. Call me unwilling to change, but I'd take Batman in a Hulkbuster fighting the Justice League over Catwoman picking a wedding dress. Scott Snyder has bombast and epicness going for him, while Tom King is trying to play to his strengths exhibited in Mr. Miracle and Vision, that of character psycho-analysis. It's just that for me Batman is an aspirational figure, and not a mental case to be dissected.

Having Reread both in the Past week, I have to point out that Snyder didnt only do EPICNESS in his stories, His Final Issue with Greg Capullo 'Gotham Is' was literally designed to be A QUIET NIGHT IN GOTHAM, and its a great issue that ties the entire run together and had teases to Metal in the form of the Owls mentioning the Strygidae are almost ready.

Amazing Member

Snyder is one of my all-time favorites. I loved everything except for the flash-forward thing with the clone but that may have been a Tynion fill-in. There were a few in that last collection...

I get what Tom King's trying to do... but I'm not a huge fan of it. I respect it, but it's not for me. The 2-part "Rooftops" or whatever and "The Button" are the only things I've really enjoyed from King's 'Batman' run thus far.

Snyder.
    King has interesting ideas but the execution is quite the opposite.

Amazing Member

I like them both but I think Snyder is better. My problem with Snyder is that you can tell exactly when he gets too excited and starts going off the rails like a crazed child. Tom King is a great character writer but sometimes I feel like he forgets that he's writing Batman.

Fantastic Member

Snyder by a long shot only good issues of king was superfriends one and the annual as others stated. Everything else made batman as a weak needy loser in my mind instead of the iconic bad ass hero he has been protrayed everywhere else. It is hillarious that bruce and selina are better only in romantic pairings than action ones because their skills are the same that is why they will be in seperate books and only interact in quiet moments especially if they are both heroes in their own right

Good thread for me as I'm about to jump back on some titles after some time away. Thought about Batman of course, but I haven't heard many good things about King's run. A lot in this thread backs up what I've heard so I might look elsewhere for my Batman title.

How's Tek or Nightwing these days?

I can't rate King's run but I can rate Snyder's. I liked it. He's not a great Batman writer but not terrible. I think I was way too critical of it at the time. He does have his flaws which have been pointed out here already and I agree with them. But Idk, his run was entertaining. Court of Owls was pretty great. I honestly felt like Owl Man could've become a legit, steady rogue. DitF was good until the end, he botched that one. End Game was good. At the time it came out I took Zero Year too personal with the mythos and all that. But I re-read it recently and, putting my heart aside, it's a pretty good read. He lost me after End Game though with Gordon metal bat. I finished his run pretty much for Capullo, now that was a man hitting a creative hot streak during that run, pure class.

Incredible Member

I loathe Snyder's writing style and his run on the character is probably my least favorite ever. When King knocks it out of the park, he's absolutely incredible... but some of his issues are absolute clunkers and he still needs to work on dialogue. So I don't know. But I definitely prefer King.

Fantastic Member

I like parts of both I enjoy Court of Owls, Death in the Family and Dark Nights Metal and with King I enjoyed, I am Bane and Rules of Engagement. And I have enjoyed the recent arcs of King's run. I can read either and be fine I like that King includes other Batman characters Snyder did not use many of the supporting cast or established villians in his run.

Incredible Member

Out of a morbid curiosity, when has King “knocked it out of the park”?

pygophile and podophile Dr. Cheesesteak's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleGlovez View Post
    I loathe Snyder's writing style and his run on the character is probably my least favorite ever. When King knocks it out of the park, he's absolutely incredible... but some of his issues are absolute clunkers and he still needs to work on dialogue. So I don't know. But I definitely prefer King.
    Pretty much my exact same sentiments.
    Comics were definitely happier, breezier and more confident in their own strengths before Hollywood and the Internet turned the business of writing superhero stories into the production of low budget storyboards or, worse, into conformist, fruitless attempts to impress or entertain a small group of people who appear to hate comics and their creators. -- Grant Morrison, 2008

trade-waiting - Ice Cream Man, Monstress

backlog - Blade of the Immortal, Mignolaverse, Promethea, X-Cutioner's Song

Fantastic Member

ONly time king had a good story was when lois and clark guest starred and diana. That and the annual and that is it

Incredible Member

Agreed...ish.
    The smaller stories were always better. The ones you mentioned, Rooftops, the one where they go see Talia and the wedding dress one.
    I reckon writers face a high degree of pressure when writing about "popular"/well established characters; be it from fans or themselves.
    But if it's Snyder vs King (on Batman)? Snyder.

Incredible Member

Agreed...ish.
    The smaller stories were always better. The ones you mentioned, Rooftops, the one where they go see Talia and the wedding dress one.
    I reckon writers face a high degree of pressure when writing about "popular"/well established characters; be it from fans or themselves.
    But if it's Snyder vs King (on Batman)? Snyder.