Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
    Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Deku View Post
    I think Snyder's Batman run was great up until Gordon took over as Batman and I think king's Batman run is one of the worst comic runs I have ever read. So, Snyder.
    This is how I feel about Snyder's run. I liked everything about it except for the Gordon as Batman arc.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Scott's by far.

Kings is ok. It's getting better but started rough.

Astonishing Member

Scott Snyder for me over Tom King. Endgame was the best story of them.

Both however can't touch Grant Morrison's awesome run.

Fantastic Member

At the moment, I'm inclined to go with King. He has lower lows than Snyder, but also higher highs that make up for it imo. His slightly more character-driven approach and a better sense of humor at times (batman doesn't always have to be dark and serious). I feel like he's also given us a better glimpse at Batman's rogues gallery, and even revived characters like Kite Man. It was also awesome to watch him grow on the title, with I am Gotham -> I am Suicide -> I am Bane each being better than the last. He's had a great selection of artists: Weeks, Jones, Mann, Janin to name a few, and the shifts in art have never been jarring. One major downfall of his is probably the dialogue. I remember Lois not sounding like Lois in the Superfriends arc. And his recent shorter arcs have felt a little less significant in terms of giant threats, but they've subtly been moving the plot forward.

Snyder, on the other hand, was probably the more consistent of the two but it's easy for me to burn out on his bombastic style. However, I think this style could work in his favor on Justice League, but it's just not my preference in a batbook.

Fantastic Member

Snyder. Although if we expand this to Batman runs post-Flashpoint I'd actually choose John Layman's run on Detective Comics. His run feels pretty gritty but not too dark. Plus Jason Fabok's art is awesome.
    "If I come back from the dead one more time I'll be seriously in danger of turning into some kind of walking cliche." - Jean Grey, Uncanny X-Men #284

Tom King. Snyder almost ruined the character for me.

Snyder, just because his Court of Owls was my first Batman story, so there is some emotional attachment to his run, beyond that and after reading more of Batman's classic stories..... yeah, it kind of sucks, specially on his voice for Bruce, is hard to not find him obnoxious and i got tired of his tendency to add unnecesary things to the backstory of many characthers (i know that every writter does that to an extent, but Jesus he doens't know when to stop).

King run is an exploration of Batman's physche (and to be honest i'm sucker for that kind of story), with an interpretation that i don't personally agreed, but at the very least is fun to wacth, even if sometimes i get tired of his attemps of poetry.

So neither is really ideal for my point of view, but well it is what it is.

Somewhat relevant to the topic, is King's run worth catching up with for a fan who started reading with knightfall, traced back to the Vemon arc in LOTDR, enjoyed most of No Man's Land, tuned out during Brubaler's run (unfortunately) then got the Hush tpb to kinda catch up, then was exposed to the brilliance of Morrison's run followed by Snyder's Black Mirror and the New 52 run almost to the end (Court of Owlns and Endgame were top notch, zero year so-so and bunny robo Bat-Gordon was hard to swallow).

Does this run offer anything new and truly entertaining? from what I've read it's a bunch of rehases or past stories that gof off to a rough start, correct me if Im wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Deku View Post
    I think Snyder's Batman run was great up until Gordon took over as Batman and I think king's Batman run is one of the worst comic runs I have ever read. So, Snyder.
    This is my answer also.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by havok1977 View Post
    Somewhat relevant to the topic, is King's run worth catching up with for a fan who started reading with knightfall, traced back to the Vemon arc in LOTDR, enjoyed most of No Man's Land, tuned out during Brubaler's run (unfortunately) then got the Hush tpb to kinda catch up, then was exposed to the brilliance of Morrison's run followed by Snyder's Black Mirror and the New 52 run almost to the end (Court of Owlns and Endgame were top notch, zero year so-so and bunny robo Bat-Gordon was hard to swallow).

Does this run offer anything new and truly entertaining? from what I've read it's a bunch of rehases or past stories that gof off to a rough start, correct me if Im wrong.
    If you like Morrison's, you will probably like King's. It leans more towards that than a lot of the other runs on your list. It also has Batman and Catwoman planning to get married, which is something legitimately new as far as the main canon goes.

BANNED

Tom King. I am actually reading his comics. I am not skimming or skipping pages.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by jaume29 View Post
    What do you thing about this? Personally I like both in a different ways. I think Snyder make more epic stories than king, I loved the court of owls and endgame, his stories are like a movie blockbuster with a lot of action but his arcs are well writen. In the other way, King makes stories where the focus is on the characters and his relationships (I really like catwoman-batman relationship), and I love how he writes about bruce wayne and how he builds his personality, thing that Snyder doesn't do, but his story arcs are not such an epic like snyder's arcs in my opinion.
    So for you what is better batman writer??
    Jim Starlin. Thank you for asking. Snyder is boring, his Batman was little more than the Midnighter with an expense account to use gadgets. And this talk of King having Batman want to marry Selina Kyle (of all women) tells me he either doesn't get the character or he can't come up with good stories so aims for stunts. Someone PM me when Bruce/Batman has his ***** back and Damian is killed off for good.
    Last edited by Mia; 03-31-2018 at 01:43 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Batman Begins 2005 View Post
    Scott Snyder for me over Tom King. Endgame was the best story of them.

Both however can't touch Grant Morrison's awesome run.
    Grant is just a legend at this point. One of the few natural writers out there. Good writing, good action, good character interaction moments. His X-Men's run in the 2000s was just as good. What I like about King is the neatness of his stories. I don't have to re-read a page twice. His writing flow is brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    If you like Morrison's, you will probably like King's. It leans more towards that than a lot of the other runs on your list. It also has Batman and Catwoman planning to get married, which is something legitimately new as far as the main canon goes.
    Hmmmm interesting, Bruce Wayne got his happy forever after with Selina in Nolan's trilogy; so I figured it was bound to happen sooner or later.

On the comics this has been toyed with time and again, seems like its serious this time around.

Incredible Member

I am not a very critical reader and mostly lap up any old story put in front of me, so I enjoy both Snyder and King.

Snyder has higher highs and lower lows for me but works overall on second reading. Kings goes down easier but has less to write home about. King is a constant 7/10, for me, and Snyder varies between 9/10 and 2/10 moment by moment.

I feel like a lot of synder's problems might be outside meddling and hype related rather than him. Maybe I am being too naive.