Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Both are same they both can't land a good ending on an arc. Death of the family went out with a wimper so did war of jokes and riddles.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chubistian View Post
    I love them both! I think you summed up both runs pretty well. Snyder is pure bombastic fun and epicness, some times he was kind of repetitive, but he could make the craziest of ideas work. The art on itself was Capullo at his best, with well placed replacement artists, I think King's run in that sense has the problem of a more rotative team of artists, but they have done a great job and are changed by arcs, so it works pretty fine. I'm more of a writing-over-art man, so that doesn't give the edge to Snyder over King imo. King is doing a very different run in some aspects, but it has resonated with me and has been some of my favorite work done with Batman. Btw, are you checking out Metal? I'm reading the edition being released currently by ECC, so I'm a little behind, but I realised you're from Spain, so maybe you're reading it too
    Yes man, I buy the comics on ECC and now in Spain they have already edited war of jokes and riddles, and these days I've been doing a comparision of Snyder and King reading his respective comics and I think that Snyder is better, is more entertaing and personally I like the monologues that batman has and his joker for me is on of the best versions, the most psycopath of all and unstoppable. Of Snyder run I have to read superheavy, is the only one that I haven't read but I think it will like me because I like frak things like the armor suit that uses gordon. What do you prefer?

Astonishing Member Old Man Ollie 1962's Avatar

I dig 'em both.

Astonishing Member

Snyder seems to always aim big in plots, usually dragging out the Joker or the Owls. Plus he's still trying to push Duke Thomas, who like fetch isn't going to happen under these circumstances. Plus King doesn't have Bat-mech to deal with.

Astonishing Member

I do prefer King's character based approach over Snyder's plot-based approach.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

I think Snyder is better at his-continuity epic and lore-building while King is better for out-of-continuity character dissection that pays homage to every incarnation... when he likes the character, that is.

I just want someone to tell Snyder that not every story needs to be an epic and to dole out his original characters in small but regular appearances rather than placing them front and center during an event meant for other characters like the Robins.

As for King, I just want to remind him that Catwoman is still a fugitive. Unless I'm missing something.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Wait, I didn't answer the question.

It's hard. Snyder comes really close, but he writes Bruce too young and prioritizes his original characters compared to preexisting Batfamily. King writes what he likes and when he does focus on them it's good, but I have to ignore the rest.

I guess since there is a continuity... and I don't think Rebirth has one... but if there is... I prefer Snyder. He's not ideal though.

My ideal Batman writers were the ones who wrote There is No Hope in Crime Alley, The Autobiography of Bruce Wayne, Joker's Five Ways Revenge and To Kill a Legend. I don't know who they are. Wait... *browse* ...Dennis O'Neil and Alan Brennert.

Snyder is good writer who is very good a crafting big ideas, it too bad the execution is usually lacking and every ending is lack luckster. King is an excellent writer but he seems to get fixated on certain aspects so that the story as a whole often suffers. Overall I'd say King is better, Snyder is responsible for Gordon robo-bat so he looses major points.
    Last edited by lucius121; 03-21-2018 at 09:12 AM.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

I feel like some of you forget some of Snyders best issues like his small stories such as batman 44 or some of the one shots in all star batman

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    I feel like some of you forget some of Snyders best issues like his small stories such as batman 44 or some of the one shots in all star batman
    I haven´t read All Star, but #44 was a (damn good) collaboration with Azzarello, who likes to do "smaller" stories with Batman
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jbmasta View Post
    I do prefer King's character based approach over Snyder's plot-based approach.
    King's approach has been character based alright... I just can't figure out which characters.

'Cuz his "Bat & Cat" usually don't read like the ones I've been following for 20+ years...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Fantastic Member

No catwoman is okay it is just his batman is an incompetent who needs her all the time which kind of makes it boring

Fantastic Member

ONly time batman is allowed to being batman is during romantic scenes or talking to friends like clark that is it the rest of the time he is a dependent manchild who can not do nothing until selina rescues him

I'll take Snyder's Batman over King's Batman any day of the week.

Granted, Snyder's run was hit (Court Of Owls, Endgame, Zero Year) or miss (Death In The Family, Super Heavy) with me. But King's current run caused me to stop collecting Batman for the very first time because it was that bad to me. I look forward to the day King's off the Batman book entirely.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nero View Post
    I'll take Snyder's Batman over King's Batman any day of the week.

Granted, Snyder's run was hit (Court Of Owls, Endgame, Zero Year) or miss (Death In The Family, Super Heavy) with me. But King's current run caused me to stop collecting Batman for the very first time because it was that bad to me. I look forward to the day King's off the Batman book entirely.
    The only thing I didn't like of Snyder's run was Super Heavy. It was really bad. Death in the Family was good and everything else was great.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor