Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Superman #43 Preview/Discussion

FINALLY IS HERE.. I saw Maya in the preview, as I imaginated.

https://www.cbr.com/preview-superman-43-boyzarro/

BANNED

Maya 'ships Jon/Kathy

Loved the Lois and Clark interaction too, with Lois interestingly admitting she wasn't made to be "Ma Kent"

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

"You sound like your pa" But Lois, you never met his Jonathan Kent in this continuity

Reborn merged everything, remember. She met them before they died now. I think they're only supposed to have died not long before Jon was born, not before Clark ever met Lois.

Kathy's codename Beacon is new, isn't it? I wonder if they're setting up her and Jon both joining the Teen Titans? Nobody could join them too, with Robin, Kid Flash and Red Arrow completing the lineup.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Reborn merged everything, remember. She met them before they died now. I think they're only supposed to have died not long before Jon was born, not before Clark ever met Lois.

Kathy's codename Beacon is new, isn't it? I wonder if they're setting up her and Jon both joining the Teen Titans? Nobody could join them too, with Robin, Kid Flash and Red Arrow completing the lineup.
    No, Reborn aftermath issues explicitly said they died the night of Clark's senior prom. Doomsday Clock #1 also confirmed it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    No, Reborn aftermath issues explicitly said they died the night of Clark's senior prom. Doomsday Clock #1 also confirmed it.
    I suppose virtually any continuity error like this can be explained by their characters remembering a little of what their pre-flashpoint selves experienced.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Oh.. Is her codename? Thanks..

I don't even read such a thing as an error. Clark's probably talked his ear off about his parents and what they were like. Could even be home movies and the like to boot that she's seen. Without meeting him, after being with Clark for so long, it makes sense that she knows pretty well by now what Jonathan's personality was like.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

BANNED

The Bizarro stuff is fine. But I rolled my eyes through the entire Lois/Clark scene in that preview. Awful. Dated. Bad writing. These writers do not know how to write relationships or women and I'm just so completely done with it.

As nervous as I am for Bendis, I will take literally anyone at this point writing Lois Lane and Lois/Clark other than Tomasi and Gleason. They do not have any understanding about how WOMEN ACTUALLY talk.

First off, NO ONE in their late 30's (because according to Jurgens Clark and Lois are only supposed to be like 38 in Rebirth timeline) gives a crap about Andy Griffith or the Honeymooners. That is not nostalgia TV for 30 somethings. Even someone like Clark Kent. You would have to be 55 years old AT LEAST to care about either of those shows. Two, The Honeymooners was a super sexist show with super traditional gender roles where the husband used to joke about beating the wife. Like...what were Tomasi and Gleason thinking with this? If you want Clark to long for nostalgia TV.....there were like a million other choices here that might actually make sense. Or have Lois say she liked watching "Mary Tyler Moore" since at least that show was about journalism and Mary Tyler Moore herself was a Lois archetype in the 70's. But either way? All these shows are too dated and just remind me that these writers are too removed or something from this stage of life. It's very weird.

Two, the whole "I think Moms should get awards" and "You couldn't married Wonder Woman" is absolutely awful. Again, WOMEN DO NOT TALK LIKE THIS. COUPLES DO NOT TALK LIKE THIS.

It's all very patronizing. Mothers do not need awards. They need to be treated like people and their role, hypothetically, should not be any harder or more demanding than a father's role. The whole "oh I think moms should get awards" thing is something that men say and they think it's progressive but it's like this super conservative thing. It sounds like something Mitt Romney or Mike Pence would say. It's just very, very patronizing. And a husband like Clark Kent would not SAY that to his wife while they are having a casual evening on the couch. And the "You could have had anyone" convo is structured to be flattering to Lois but again it's also patronizing as crap.

Lois Lane doesn't NEED to have a Pulitzer to be worthy of marrying Clark Kent. She doesn't NEED a Pulitzer as soon kind of "proof" that she's good enough for him. It's all stupid. And she should never, ever be forced to utter the words, "You could have married Wonder Woman." ICK. YUCK. YUCK. So Lois is lucky or something that Clark deigned to choose her over Wonder Woman? OH BARF. BARF BARF.

These two people have been together a long time. They love each other completely and are completely secure in their relationship. They wouldn't talk like this. This is bad writing.

Whatever Bendis has planned, I'm sure, is better than this. Best of luck to Tomasi and Gleason. They've done some things I really like on this book, truly. I like how they've handled Jon in several instances but their handling of this marriage and Lois in general is conservative, old, saccharine, dated, patronizing and boring. Did I mention overly conservative and old?
    Last edited by Nelliebly; 03-19-2018 at 10:49 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Maya 'ships Jon/Kathy

Loved the Lois and Clark interaction too, with Lois interestingly admitting she wasn't made to be "Ma Kent"
    I hated it with a passion.

It feels old, overly conservative and not remotely how women actually talk.

When we say that we need female writers on these books, or at the very least, someone who isn't a white man who is like 50....this is why.

Honestly, I'm sad that Gleason is staying on with Superman when Bendis comes aboard. I find his art overly cartoony and juvenile looking and I think he's way too conservative personally to ever do justice to Lois Lane in any capacity.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Nelliebly View Post
    I like how they've handled Jon in several instances but their handling of this marriage and Lois in general is conservative, old, saccharine, dated, patronizing and boring. Did I mention overly conservative and old?
    I've never been bored with it, keep your left-leaning ageist comments to yourself

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Yeah it's sad seeing Lois and Clark written this way. It's a chore to get through.

2 more issues until this blows up right? The relaunch is imminent!

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I've never been bored with it, keep your ageist comments to yourself
    It's not ageist to suggest that the writing is dated. It's just false to these characters.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 03-19-2018 at 12:43 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Yeah it's sad seeing Lois and Clark written this way. It's a chore to get through.
    I see nothing wrong with it.

BANNED

I've never been bored with it, keep your left-learning ageist comments to yourself
    Excuse me but I do not have to keep ANYTHING To myself, sir. I am allowed to express that I feel uncomfortable about the way this book has been handled just as much as you are allowed to say that it appeals to you.

And it is not ageist to point out that it's odd and dated to have Clark Kent---a character who is supposed to be at most (straight from Jurgens mouth) 38 years old, say that he likes the "nostalgia" of Andy Griffith and The Honeymooners. That is WEIRD. Nostalgia TV for people in their 30's is stuff that was produced in the 90's or even 80's. It's not television that was produced decades ago. It does not fit these characters at all.

It is also not ageist to point out that it's super weird to force Clark Kent to say that he likes a TV show where the man jokes about hitting his wife.

Also, you need to leave the "left leaning" insults out of this because when I say "conservative" I'm not talking about politics per se as much as a very dated mindset about women's roles and the family structure that does not SUIT this character.
    Last edited by Nelliebly; 03-19-2018 at 10:47 AM.