Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Quote Originally Posted by Nelliebly View Post
    I mean.... I ::think:: (maybe I am wrong) that they are supposed to be watching Stranger Things on Netflix? Maybe? Which would make sense because Stranger Things was literally designed to be nostalgia TV for adults who are now in their 30's and who were kids in the 80's. Which doesn't mean that all ages don't enjoy it but that was definitely part of it's appeal and the target demo.

Nostalgia TV for someone Lois and Clark's age is like....Cheers. The Cosby Show. (Yes, I understand that that show has been impacted by the terrible revelations now about Cosby so that was probably out.) Murphy Brown. Even Friends, Seinfeld etc.
    I think that depends on where you're from. I'm 38 and from Iowa (so roughly the same area and age as Clark) - I certainly loved Cheers and the Cosby show, but also watched a TON of "Nick-At-Night" and have a soft spot for a lot of that programming. Though I'm not so much a Honeymooner's guy as I am a "Dennis The Menace," "Mister Ed" and and "Leave It To Beaver" guy. I'd watch those before picking up "Cheers" again, even though I enjoyed it and would watch it if it's on.

I believe that they meant well with the "I've always thought Moms were heroes" thing but...it's just very dated. In 2018---this is a GIVEN. It's a given that it's hard to be a mother and so it feels very, very patronizing when you have male writers like explaining it to you through Clark Kent's mouth. Mainly because the idea should be that fathers and mothers work equally hard and that it's a give and take. Equality. 30 something working mothers don't need men telling them that moms are "heroes" because the idea for most of us is that it's a partnerships and we are in it together. Just as, in a loving marriage, you don't need to say to your spouse, "Oh well Diana doesn't have a Pulitzer." So you married her for her Pulitzer, Clark? Lois Lane doesn't have to prove she's better than Wonder Woman in any capacity to be the woman that Clark eventually realizes is the person he wants to marry. That's not the standard here. It's structured like a compliment (and I'm sure was meant as one by the writers) but it's dated and cringey.
    I do agree with the "Moms deserve trophies" part, though I read this (after my initial reaction which is much like yours) combined with the Pulitzer joke as him gently admiring aspects of his wife in a casual/light-hearted way. The Pulitzer line was definitely a joke - which she joins in on with the "and don't you forget it" line, also a joke.

Edited to add: What really gets me is that what I love distinctly about Jon Kent as a character is that he could have just gone the way of being a little Clark clone. That would have been the easy route. But that's not who he is. There is so much about him that I really do attribute to Lois. I like him distinctly because he feels so much to me the kind of child that only SHE could raise. His curiosity, his knack for trouble...there is so much Lois in him. Which is why it's so bizarre to me (pun intended) that they could do such a good job with the kid but repeatedly do so poorly with Lois. I will not miss these writers on this book. I wish them the best but I'm done with them and I honestly wish Gleason was leaving too.
    Yeah, I definitely agree here. I almost wonder if they've given so much of Lois's traits to Jon that they don't quite know where to put her in the mix so they just give her little moments and that's it. I don't think they do it consciously, but that's just what happens. Which is not good for Lois as a character, no matter how unintentional it may be.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelliebly View Post
    Ok so here's the thing. I think they ::have:: portrayed a happy marriage. And I can see why this kind of writing has felt like a warm hug to a lot of people. I admit fully that given all the strife in my life right now there are days when I just want to see Superman, Lois and Jon holding each other and smiling. It makes me happy. I think we've seen happiness.

Where I think you are correct is that Tomasi and Gleason have not actually invested time in Lois and Clark as a relationship. And I think they have also pushed some very conservative gender roles into Lois that do not FIT her but then try to make up for it by having her like wear a hellbat suit or punch a fury every few issues as if to say, "see, Lois is strong!" Except this is NOT why Lois is strong and iconic as a character. Lois is iconic as a character distinctly because her brain is her most valuable asset. Her devotion to her job is so important to her and, this is key, it's important to CLARK. Clark loves how devoted Lois is to her job. So that fact that we didn't see that in this book? It was a problem. Because that's a huge part of who Lois is and it's part of what brought them together as a couple.
    I'd definitely like to see more of Lois at work. I don't think it bothers me quite so much because some people have contradicting sides to themselves and Lois would be no different. My wife, for instance, is very independent, strong, and brilliant - and also can find such banal things as food prep and laundry relaxing mental breaks. So I guess I read these as her "de-stress" time, even if I'd like to see more of her "mentally in action", if that makes any sense?

A friend of mine is doing her first viewing of "Lois and Clark" right now and so I've been doing some various rewatching along with her. Is the show dated in some regards? Sure. Corny villains? Sure. But what the show NAILED (and Smallville did it too) is that Lois and Clark are a great team on every front and that Clark is distinctly attracted to the way Lois defies traditional gender roles and he NEVER ASKS her to change. He doesn't put the same pressure on her to conform to what a "lady" is supposed to be the way that other men might and this is such a huge part of their dynamic and relationship. Watching "Lois and Clark" again has been such a pleasure in that regard because, at times, it's hard to believe that sometime like this was on television over 20 years ago because in so many ways it feels more progressive than stuff we see right now on current DCTV which is kind of mind blowing. Smallville also did a really great job of showing that Clark Kent didn't think Lois was going to change into this perfect housewife when he married her. On the contrary, he didn't WANT her to.
    I love "Lois & Clark", too. Ronda and I started watching that again. Was there something in the comics that made you think Clark was asking Lois to change? Maybe I missed something.

I just think that these writers have to think harder about why Clark Kent loves Lois Lane and why she loves HIM beyond the surface of "she has a Pulitzer." It's easy to say that Lois is "strong" etc but their love is so much deeper than that and the interesting ways they relate to each other and how much he appreciates how truly unique she is are interesting.
    Yep - that's why I love a lot of the early 90's stories in the comics: this was in full force. I think maybe they push so much to show how comfortable they are with each other as well as deeply in love, and maybe it doesn't come across that way to everyone.. if that makes any sense?
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

Gleason's art has improved a lot, it almost seems like this is a different artist who has Gleason's style of drawing. I loved the interaction between Kathy/Maya and Lois/Clark. I thought Lois' secret 'source' was Kathy herself, it's good that they used Maya instead.

Quote Originally Posted by vasir12 View Post
    I just don't see a reason for Beacon and Nobody to not like each other. Seems kinda forced.
    She saw her as Robin spy... The things can change when Superman reveals that he sent her..

Kathy getting a hero name makes it even more likely that me see her and Maya joining teen titans or another supersons team in the future I reckon. Which is good cause I like them!