Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

They just need to stop trying to connect them into a "DCEU". Just make good films.

They don't even need new actors. Henry Cavil is great as Superman. Gal Gadot's WW is already a smash hit. Just sever the ties to BVS/JL and SS. Ignore them and move Superman and friends forward.

First they need to start making DC films and not Zach's grimdark fanfic.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    First they need to start making DC films and not Zach's grimdark fanfic.
    Start with this. Its why I was not a fan of Man of Steel, nor how Superman was portrayed (personality wise) in BvS (Justice League course corrected that at least).

Wonder Woman was good. A great direction for the character, though starting her in WWI I don't think has been explored before. So, we have a century of her history to cover leading up to her appearance in BvS.

I do like Batfleck, he looks the part, has the size for it, and looks imposing in his costume. Not to mention he kicks ass. But him wanting to move on, I think we have to look into casting someone younger in the role. And not have his first movie be him out for vengeance on Superman.

Justice League has at least course corrected a few things in the big picture, like it looks like Bruce and Clark are going to become friends going forward (Bruce did help out his mother, and helped get the farm back, and brought him back to life). It almost looks like they were setting up WonderBat ship, but I know how (un)popular that is amongst the Wonder Woman long time fandom. But you can also set it up as the Trinity being close friends.

Still iffy on Cyborg being a founding member of the League. Even had someone on Quora try and tell me that Cyborg had "always been a founding member, even in the old Justice League Cartoons".... Yeah, anyway. If not J'onn, then maybe Black Canary or Hawkwoman/Girl (so Diana isn't the sole woman). And for Green Lantern, with Hal Jordan version pretty well ruined, John Stewart is a good choice to go with.

Not sure how the Aquaman film will go, as we only got brief glimpses into Atlantis.

But no, DC should keep making films. But rather than "new and edgy", tap more into what people know about the character, and expand upon that?

Absolutely not. I feel the DC films have been treated unfairly when worst movies have been given high grades...Rotten Tomatoes. Do they have their flaws? Sure. But it's not entirely as bad as certain critics made them out to be. Marvel movies including their Fox and Sony counterparts has had flaws and bombs so they are far from perfect. It wouldn't be fair to comic fans as a whole to allow Marvel to hog all the glory when they wanna see other properties have their cake and eat it too. Movie audiences should stop trying to follow the flock.

I'm looking forward to Disney eventually buying WB or their DC IP & merging the 2 into one giant world of weirdness & glory.

Quote Originally Posted by Soubhagya View Post
    Heck no! That's the worst idea. It makes no business sense when an Ant Man film can earn 500 million.

Try rebooting or give up the interconnected idea. Reboots have worked before. And DC films which were not trying to connect with other films were doing fine.

And if you drop the interconnected idea its not necessary to have one hero in a world. Do like X-Men do. They don't care for any continuity apart from what they make of it. That's how you suddenly have a Mystique who was almost a sister of Charles Xavier even if it wasn't mentioned. Had two Emma Frosts and Sabretooths. And there's another actor playing Colossus in Deadpool while another played in Future Past. Like All Star Superman, Superman can mention Batman or could mention he teamed up before. But Superman films have their own continuity, independent of everything else.
    Super-hero movies makes money. But you can wait a few years just to recharge and think about it long hard to come up with a better plan. They should use the next three years to hire a mastermind and create a map of where the DC Universe on film should go. There's nothing wrong with falling back to return stronger.

Invincible Member

No, they should just make them better.

someone else should be making them...separately.

Quote Originally Posted by feenix219 View Post
    They should just let the TV show's have the full Justice League to use, stop doing movies, and do a big budget crossover movie based on the weekly TV shows every summer. Its the only way to actually tell comic book stories properly, with the proper buildup, planning, foreshadowing, character development, catch phrases and fan attachment. Follow the comic book model entirely. Weekly stories and minor crossovers and miniseries all year around with a big blowout every summer.... could totally work.
    It's the only way? I love the flarrow verse on the CW but they're success doesn't touch the MCU. So clearly that's not the only way. DCEU just rushed it while MCU has been slow playing everything.

WB needs to hire a Kevin Fiege type to plan everything out and run it all. Yea it might lead to issue with directors but for the most part the director know they are playing within certain confined. Edgar Wright Is the only one I know of that just couldn't deal with Fieges meddling. Patty Jenkins had a contract dispute right? Or maybe she had creative differences as Well. Either way Edgars the only one it got ugly with.

He's seems in love with Disney right now but Jon Favrou would be my choice. He helped start the MCU and has been a producer on most the movies(Did he have any real input after Ironman 2 or did they give him credits on the Avengers movies to show respect for the guy show started it all?) Also as a director he should work well with directors. Plus he loves comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Skeleton View Post
    Absolutely not. I feel the DC films have been treated unfairly when worst movies have been given high grades...Rotten Tomatoes. Do they have their flaws? Sure. But it's not entirely as bad as certain critics made them out to be. Marvel movies including their Fox and Sony counterparts has had flaws and bombs so they are far from perfect. It wouldn't be fair to comic fans as a whole to allow Marvel to hog all the glory when they wanna see other properties have their cake and eat it too. Movie audiences should stop trying to follow the flock.
    I do agree that some of the DC movies are far better than given credit for and deserved to do far better at the box office. Marvel has had it's share of topnotch movies that transcended the genre such as "Hulk" and that was the main problem: they transcended the genre. Marvel learned it's lesson about what people want from most superhero movies before they started the MCU. Among other things, they learned that one size does not fit all. A Captain America movie is not a Thor movie which is not an Iron-Man movie. DC made the mistake of deciding everything should fit the Batman style even when they did not launch their shared universe with Batman.

"Wonder Woman" was a change in the trend brought about by choosing a director who understood the character and then staying out of her way. "Justice League" was a mixture. They understood there was a problem which is half the battle right there. But they were only throwing some jokes and minor changes into a completed product. Even then it might have worked if more people had seen it. I got to talk to a lot of people who were buying the DVD where I work and a common remark is that they almost chose not to see the movie but went anyway and were surprised that it was reasonably fun. Or they heard that it was actually okay but they didn't go see it but they'll take a shot at the DVD. So they seem to be getting the idea. They are lightening up and making things more "fun".

Stopping gains them nothing. All of their movies, except maybe JL, have made at least a fair profit. They at least are dealing with the fact that they've made huge mistakes and are trying to correct them. From WW, they know that it doesn't have to be a joke a minute to succeed. They can do good dramas that are also enjoyable. They could reboot without doing away with the WW movie or sequels to it since those events are in the past before MoS and B v S. But I think at this point they might as well forge ahead with a new direction. But they need to understand it's not just superficial things like jokes and one-liners that have caused Marvel's success. If nothing else, they need to think of each character as an individual and think about what is appealing about that character, which is a large part of the success of WW.
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by GOLGO 13 View Post
    I'm looking forward to Disney eventually buying WB or their DC IP & merging the 2 into one giant world of weirdness & glory.
    I keep hearing ppl joke around about Wbs shopping DC around again. Have they really ever done that? I think I heard Kevin Smith make reference to a rumor WB was looking to cut DC loose(Makes zero sense what's so ever. So I assume it was a joke) but if Disney offered THAT Star wars money maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by Da Boat View Post
    Super-hero movies makes money. But you can wait a few years just to recharge and think about it long hard to come up with a better plan. They should use the next three years to hire a mastermind and create a map of where the DC Universe on film should go. There's nothing wrong with falling back to return stronger.
    I wouldn't be averse to that. There was one idea i read a while ago which suggested making Wonder Woman and perhaps Batman for now, with the ones like Shazam and Aquaman which is actually happen run their course. These projects can't be stopped. After 4-5 years. Restart the DCEU. They definitely need time to get things right. I was thinking that the large time gap between Justice League and Aquaman was meant for that. But i am proven wrong. They keep announcing the new projects and pretend as if everything is alright.

I am starting to think they are giving up on the DCEU. Earlier there was only that Scorcese produced Joker. Now there's New Gods about which i am hearing conflicting things. Taking some time off is good. It helped them get Batman right. But it looks like they aren't doing that.

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    I keep hearing ppl joke around about Wbs shopping DC around again. Have they really ever done that? I think I heard Kevin Smith make reference to a rumor WB was looking to cut DC loose(Makes zero sense what's so ever. So I assume it was a joke) but if Disney offered THAT Star wars money maybe.
    With all the money WB makes off the TV shows, animation, games, and other merchandise there is zero chance of that happening. And WB isn't going to sell off the movie rights and keep everything else. Even if WB were
    to stop making movies for the time being, and that isn't happening, WB would still want to keep the movie rights in their back pocket and wait for a more favorable environment.

I think the thing to remember is that most of the films were commercially successful even if they weren't criticially panned. As long as they're making money, they'll keep doing it. Granted Justicel League showed diminishing returns for the DC movies, but that's less an indicator to stop trying and more an indicator to try and get the formula right.

Wonder WOman was a hit, so it's not like we can say they can't put out a good movie.

BANNED

No, They need to find the best and most talented people to helm their movies. WB should never have given zack snyder the big responsibility of DC movies. there was nothing in his resume that showed he was up for it. He was no Christopher Nolan.
    Another reason they should keep making DC movies is with X-Men at a 90% chance of going to Disney. comic book movies may be facing a monopoly of nothing more but action comedy movies. DC movies needs to be there to balance the equation.
    Last edited by Sandfall; 03-20-2018 at 02:07 AM.